Old Fart

Freehub troubles

I'm about 210 and ride mostly singletrack/cross country. No big stunts, no drops, just an occasional bunny hop over a log. I have been going through at least one freehub per year since riding full suspension. I never had the problem with either of my hardtails. My last bike was a ProFlex 2000, and attributed the problems to something in the design of the rear end. Now I have had my Gary Fisher Sugar out for a few rides and already the freehub is dragging and obviously ready to give up the ghost. Anyone else have freehub woes? Anyone now why this happens? My LBS has no good ideas. Anyone solve this problem?
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

Klydesdale
    Feb 2005
    What brand/model of freehub are you using?

Old Fart

? Brand freehub

It's a shimano XTR I believe. Not positive as it came with the bike.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

29er wannabe

replace it

If you generate a good amount of pedal torque your Shimano problems will be endless.
    I spent the bucks and now happily use the King rear hub with zero issues after waisting my time with three Shimano warranty rebuilds.
    Also check out the Hadley rear hubs for less money.

The tiny weak pawls of Shimano hubs get stuck down with a bit of grime in the lube. Even more so if you ride in the mud or wet conditions.
    Doing a wheely drop and hearing that cracking sound of the shi??y hub freaks me out !

Old Fart

Problem solved (at least for now)

I took off the freehub and discovered some burrs in the metal body. One on the bottom and a couple on the sides near the little clutches. I got out my trusty Dremel tool and somoothed them off...presto, no more binding. Now the question is why did I get the little burrs? BTW it is an XT hub not XTR as I originally posted.

The Mountain Bike Life
    I am a clyde (270ish now) and am experiencing lots of issues with freehubs...went through 4 XT's one season...on a hardtail then I got a fully and put a dirty hustler hub on it...in under a year I had 3 or 4 rebuilds/new hubs...would only last 5-10 rides before it locks up...so I bit the bullet and got screamin deal on a CK hub...so far so good...but its only been one ride so far...haha...

I would get a good hub like the hadley or king and be done with the crap...I spent two years in and out of shops and waiting for my bike...its worth it man...good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Aaaah, another King fix in the works.

Wow, it is funny how every few weeks this one pops up. A lot has been said about this.

I went through many many Shimano's to buy a Hope. Only to have that rebuilt twice (great customer service and under warranty).

In the past 10 years I haven't made it through two months of riding let alone a season or a year without breaking the freehub. It got to the poin that I would actually continue a long ride if it locked up in the first ten minutes.

Anyway, I ended up with a King HD (although it is nice, I don't think the HD was needed). Has been a year and about 2000 miles on it with nothing! And I mean NOTHING, but happy memories.

I started on this hub at about 275 and am about 245 now. During break-in I needed to tighten the bearings about 3 times (20 minutes total of all three).

Most recommend King or Hadley, but in a recent thread I asked for someone who was destroying freehubs and switched to Hadley to comment, but only King testimonials could be had. Not saying the Hadley is bad, but I can tell you from experience that the King is awesome.

Ken.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Wish I saw this thread earlier. While rebuilding my deore rear hub, I discovered a cracked freehub and just ordered the XT. Hopefully I can get it to last as I don't really feel like dropping $$$ on a premium hub (plus spending time relacing the wheel again)