mtbr member
    May 2011

Freehub Quality (MID SCHOOL!!!) For Clyde Wheel!

Every so often someone will mention re-spacing a 145mm Tandem wheel for a 135mm MTB frame. Great, I did that. No, I mean I really did it. I've followed this place for years and never...actually...saw anyone report results on a follow-through.

What I'm specifically talking about is the HF08 to 7-speed freehub conversion, to reduce rim offset (dish) by taking space from the drive side. I bought a 48-spoker with the HF08 and immediately replaced the freehub body with a 7-speed part. BTW, 7-speed freehub bodies don't actually fit modern 8-speed hubs, due to a missing chamferred edge. Since nobody ever reported back, I didn't know this. I had to cut a clearance groove in the hub to make it work.

So, I got everything together, went for a ride and blew out the freehub. I mean, I chipped the pawls. This was obviously an inferior part, because my "light" bike has a 7-speed freehub and I haven't blown it yet.

Now I'm looking for an old-school mechanic to tell me how to find the "right", that is, the higher-quality, 7-speed freehub bodies. Any advice?

mtbr member
    I'd imagine that back in the day you were able to get higher quality freehub bodies but nowadays you cant even get high end 8 speed stuff.

Did King or Phil Wood make 7spd hubs? And would their freehub bodies mate onto your hub?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I'd imagine that back in the day you were able to get higher quality freehub bodies but nowadays you cant even get high end 8 speed stuff.

Did King or Phil Wood make 7spd hubs? And would their freehub bodies mate onto your hub?
    Nah, those two use their own design...thanks for the suggestion though.

I did have a guy in the Tandem forums offer me an old 7-speed XT hub and I jumped on that, but forgot to verify that it was Hyperglide! From what I remember, first gen XT was Uniglide, second gen was cross-compatible (internal and external threads), third generation was 8 speed. Keeping my fingers crossed for a 2nd gen part.