mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Frame durability?

Im mainly gonna be riding on and off trail, some asphalt and some dirt. Just gettind back into the sport and been beating my head against the screen for some time...

As you have probably read a ton of posts from me asking for help and suggstions...

Im now looking into the 3 bikes frames and the actual differences, can u help?

300 lb 6'2" clyde btw....

First bike...Specialized hardrock sport disc...Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, tig welded, double-butted ORE DT, externally machined head tube

2nd bike .... Diamonback Response sport ....DB 6061 T-6 heat treated / OS / butted aluminum frame w/ Strongbox Headtube Junction

3rd and final....Diamandback topanga comp 05' model....Topanga Comp 7005 Trail Frame w/ Zero-Stack Head Tube

now i dont know about the 1 st one but the second one i was told will not flex...what does that exactly mean??? Now the third one i was told the frame flexes is that good?? Very confused at this point but i do know that #3 has the best componentry...I guess thats what it comes down to....

what do ya think??

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Flex is generally bad. Flex is merely the frame (or wheels) twisting, or flexing while you are riding. To me it makes a bike feel unpredictable - it doesn't feel like the bike is going where I want it too. If a salesman tells you a bike will flex, he/she is telling you it is probably to light for you.

Also, if you have a dealer that carries Kona near you look at a Hoss. For your experience level FIT is the most important attribute in a bike. Buy the bike that fits you best - any good shop can help you with that.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I don't know about the three you list but I have a XL topanga 05 model I'll sell for $30+ shipping. I've never felt any flex in Diamondback frames but I'm 6'1" and 205. My frame is in really good shape. It's just too big for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TsunamiMike
    Im mainly gonna be riding on and off trail, some asphalt and some dirt. Just gettind back into the sport and been beating my head against the screen for some time...

As you have probably read a ton of posts from me asking for help and suggstions...

Im now looking into the 3 bikes frames and the actual differences, can u help?

300 lb 6'2" clyde btw....

First bike...Specialized hardrock sport disc...Specialized A1 Premium Aluminum, disc only, tig welded, double-butted ORE DT, externally machined head tube

2nd bike .... Diamonback Response sport ....DB 6061 T-6 heat treated / OS / butted aluminum frame w/ Strongbox Headtube Junction

3rd and final....Diamandback topanga comp 05' model....Topanga Comp 7005 Trail Frame w/ Zero-Stack Head Tube

now i dont know about the 1 st one but the second one i was told will not flex...what does that exactly mean??? Now the third one i was told the frame flexes is that good?? Very confused at this point but i do know that #3 has the best componentry...I guess thats what it comes down to....

what do ya think??