mtbr member

Fox 32 F29 for Clyde..

How is this fork for a 300# clyde? One of the main reasons I'm looking at this one is due to the qr15 it has. I know the Fox is $$$. On the lower end of prices I was looking at the Marzocchi 44 TST2 29. I ride whats around Austin, so it's all fairly smooth, no big drops or anything like that for me. I'll sometimes hit City Park which can be a major PITA. Ledges, lots of limestone.

Any input will be helpful, along with other opinions on forks.

Thanks.

Former Bike Wrench
    Are you already committed to the 15mm axle, because you might look at a Reba with the 20mm axle. The advantage of the Reba is the adjustable negative spring (the Fox is a set coil, and is not designed for really heavy or really light riders) in addition to the stiffer axle.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have ridden a few different F29 forks and own a Marx 44 TST2 29er w/QR15, and have weighed up to 275lbs (that's being weighed just before stepping into the shower if you get my drift) while doing so. I have been as heavy as 300lbs a few years ago.

Both forks will work for you and performance is actually not too different from one to another. I would say the Fox has a little bit more progressive spring rate which I personally did not care for., but YMMV.

I ride 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes more, rarely less, and have owned the Marz 44 since October 2009. I have had to take it in a few times to have minor work done under warranty (it has a 3 year warranty) and fortunately I live just a few miles fromm Marz HQ. Their CS has been top notch for me. I don't often use the TST2 feature, I just leave it open 95%+ of the time. The chassis on the Marz has been plenty stiff and I like that the lever on the QR15 skewer is on the opposite side from the (sometimes very hot) rotor.

The Rebas I have ridden have been fine too, especially the newer ones with a through axle. Hard to make a bad choice, just depends on how much budget you want to appropriate.

I have also spent a little time on the new Manitou Tower Pro and it was one of the nicest forks I have ridden, but you would be best to contact Manitou to see if they have a spring to accommodate you since they are an air/coil shock. The one I rode had the stock spring and it wasn't bad that way and I know they have a firmer spring. Just a matter of whether or not the spring will be enough for you.

I wouldn't steer you away from any of the forks mentioned and would probably buy the Marz 44 again if I needed a new fork, but that decision was made easier by the fact that I live close to Marz HQ should I need them.

mtbr member
    I've not set myself to any fork, but the wheelset I'm looking at (Azonic Outlaw 29 comes with everything to run 9mm, 15mm or 20mm QR setups).

So Reba (I've owned SL in the past with the normal QR setup). Might look into the Marz 44 a little more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The manitou tower pro is a no go fork for us superclyde.I email manitou,they told me to get the tower expert in 20mm ta,with steel steerer and x firm coils.it will work ok but not great according to the manitou people.guys have you try the marz micro ti rlc in qr15?as well as the new fox f29?is this good for us superclyde?I ride road and xc no jumps and my riding weight is around 300 to 315lbs depending on what's in my camelback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am leaning towards the Manitou Tower Expert for the same reasons 1911GS said. I also called Manitou and the tech said Firm spring(no x-firm spring in tower series), but didn't mention a 20mm TA.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am (260lbs) currently riding a 29" Marz 44 Micro Ti QR15 and I am loving it since I experimented with the settings and found it's sweet spot. I run the sag at a little over 30% at about 55psi in the air spring with the volume adjuster 4 clicks in and it is SWEET and PLUSH.

I have spent a little time on a Tower Pro, but it didn't have the right spring in it for my weight, so I won't/can't say too much other than I can see the potential in them for being a nice fork.

The Fox F29 is decent, but a little too progressive spring rate for my taste. Good fork though and will handle you just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have a F29RL on my 2010 Stumpy FSR 29'er. At 300lbs you'll be over where the the shock is rated. To get the Sag set correctly you'll need to exceed the air pressure setting. I started riding at over 300lbs and the slow compression was a problem for me. I am now around 210lbs and with the shock set for me now it's quite a bit better of a feel.

IMO for anything not too technical the F29 should be fine.

Just my opinion... YMMV