mtbr member
    May 2009

Fork Upgrade Question

First let me say that I'm glad to be a new member of the forum and it's good to see that there is an entire section of this forum dedicated to those of us who fit into the worlds larger profile.

I'm currently riding a Marin Palisades Trail from 2006 and the fork it comes with is super soft and crappy for my larger size. It's a Manitou Axel Elite with no lock out. I'm looking to upgrade the fork to something much more efficient and effective and I want something I don't really have to think about. From the research I've been doing it seems like an Air shock is the only way to go for me. So with that knowledge I've been debating which direction to go in. I've seen a number of posts suggesting the RS Tora 318 SA which I've seen as cheap as $220 on Pricepoint. My question is more along the lines of is it worth it for me to jump up to something like the Revelation 426 DA or a Manitou R7? To go to an R7 i'm looking at $300-350 from various places including Ebay. For the Revelation i'm going upwards of $400.

I ride mostly Singletrack and local LI trails which are far from extreme so is it worth it for me to jump up to the other 2 shocks and what are the benefits of going for a Dual Air setup like the Revelation vs. Solo Air like the Tora?

I appreciate everyone's help and advice as I've seen lots of good info handed out in my casual searching of this site.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You could try to change the coil in your fork for a stiffer one. You LBS probably could do that for you. Lots here recommend the Tora 318 SA. I personally just grabbed a 08 Fox F100 off ebay for 400 (microsoft live.com cashback included.). I weight 275lbs and I haven't had any issue adjusting it for my weight.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've looked into changing the coil, but they just don't make one stiff enough to adjust for the weight and sag. Besides, IMO the fork is really a dog and barely performs even when one of my lighter friends is on the bike.

I've looked into the Fox forks but everything I've read and been told thus far has pointed to spending the $$$ on the Revelation if I'm going to spend in the $400 range. I'm just not sure I need to double my investment at this point.

Optimum Value
    Depends on what you ride. If you like to ride aggressively, or are into all mountain, then I would get the revelation. Otherwise, if you like to ride more XC, then the Reba is a really strong and lightweight fork too. The major difference between the Solo-Air and Dual-Air on the forks, is that the solo air has only one air chamber on the left side, where as the dual air has two air chambers on the left side (one is positive air, one negative) what this does is it gives the fork more action over terrain and also helps with small bump absorption. Basically a dual-air fork will make it feel more like a coil. The difference is in what you want to spend. Both the Tora and the other two forks are great for the price.