Scottish Rogue

Fork Suspension for the 300lb'er

I am 300 pounds and I am tired of the RS Dart3. Any suggestions for some one who doesn't want to break the bank?? I am riding alot of single track, hard pack, and a few trail with 3 foot max drops. The fork will be going on a Cannondale F5.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Justin

mtbr member
    Check out the Rockshox Tora 318. They're pretty cheap and are said to hold up to Clydes really well. I just bought a Solo Air for around $170. I've only have one ride on it, so I can't really comment on reliability, but so far it seems way better than the Manitou Axel I had on last.

Do a search here, you should find plenty of information.

BIG and Bald
    Check out the Marzocchi Dirt Jumper series. I've been riding a DJ 3 since 2006 and it has held up and performed extremely well under my 350+ frame.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Eat to Live[/SIZE][/SIZE]...[SIZE="3"]not the other way around[/SIZE]

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by bvibert
    Check out the Rockshox Tora 318. They're pretty cheap and are said to hold up to Clydes really well. I just bought a Solo Air for around $170.
    Whoa! Only $170?! That's a bargain indeed!

The best I could come up with a few days ago was $210 @ Cambria:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SION+FORK+2008

Dirt Deviant
    I'm really happy with my Manitou forks. I have a couple Nixon Super Air Plus forks that hold up really well. 145mm travel added the extra stiff spring kit.

Most recently I have picked up 2 different Minute forks. A 140mm with travel adjust which comes in really handy for the steep climbs....and a 120mm fork for my 5" travel bike.

Jenson has a 100mm travel model on sale right now. Note, it is a 20mm thru axle, so if you have a traditional quick release front wheel you'll need to get a new front wheel.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...solute+08.aspx

Here is the minute TPC damper model on sale as well. Both have 20mm thru axle as well.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...te+Tpc+08.aspx

I have heard good things about the Tora, so you should be good there. If you already have a 20mm thru axle front wheel I would go with the Minute though. The 20mm makes the front so much stiffer, in a good way.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i'm a 300#er and also on a tora 318 soloair... setup is very simple and its held up well under my fatness... mines a 29er... it's nice n easy to go from 80mm to 100mm... with the 26er you get the adjustiblity of 80, 100, and 135mm or something like that... which is nice touch... the down side is it is heavy... but honestly thats not a huge factor when your 3 bills haha

also... from what i've read... the 20mm TA (through axle) is much stiffer then the tora will be...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    Whoa! Only $170?! That's a bargain indeed!

The best I could come up with a few days ago was $210 @ Cambria:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...SION+FORK+2008

That's where I got it from, but someone sent me a 20% off code that ended on 3/31. It's an OEM fork. I'm not sure what that means, other than it doesn't come in the retail box.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ditto on the RS Tora 318 solo air. over 300 & have be trying to beat mine to death,..but it just keeps on doing it's job. An under-rated fork in my opinion.

Scottish Rogue
    what psi do you have your fork pumped up to?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i had my 318 29er soloair @80mm pumped up to right about 300psi with no problems... now that i'm at 100mm it's a lot less...

don't know what the 26er #'ers should look like though
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I run mine at 270-300 also at 80mm. Need to do the 100mm conversion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just swaped from a dart 3 to a 29er tora race, big difference, a good deal stiffer and feels alot more solid, I also went from a 160mm rotor to a 185mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So, this holds true still, right? Do I search for Rockshox Tora 318, or does the Solo Air have to be there?

I'm sick of my stock Hardrock Shock. >,>

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    i belive all the 318's are the solo air model... the big thing is it has the higher end motion control damper they put in the reba and SID
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmaged88
    I am 300 pounds and I am tired of the RS Dart3. Any suggestions for some one who doesn't want to break the bank?? I am riding alot of single track, hard pack, and a few trail with 3 foot max drops. The fork will be going on a Cannondale F5.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Justin
    I was over 300lbs a couple of years ago and used a Marzocchi MX Pro. It never let me down and was smooth. I have seen them under $200.00 at several different places online. Do a search

Scottish Rogue
    Thank you for all the information I ended up buying the Motobecane Fantom Pro 29 it came equipped with the Rock Shox Tora 318 solo air and it is just a little on the soft side for me even when it is locked out (30-40% sag with it pumped up to 250psi). I greatly appreciate all the information that has been provided here I fell like I can ask just about anything and get shot a straight answer.

Thank you all again,
    Justin

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    get it pumped up to the proper 25% sag... I was up to about 300psi for my 300# on the 29er with 80mm of travel... when I went to the 100mm setting the PSI dropped closer to 200psi as I recall... still playing with it to get it "just right"

good luck man
    mark
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    donalson is right, you have to get the pressure up higher to reduce sag.

My lock-out is run by a switch on the handle bar, and if you let the cable be too long, it won't lock out. If your's is like mine, you might want to check to see if you are really moving it all the way to lock out.

I have a 318 solo air as well and seem to recall something in the instructions about how the fork might not work properly if oil got in somewhere...

Cool to see some brothers running their Tora's so high. I'm 240 lbs and was a little scared to go off the chart to match it to my weight, but having seen this here, I'm definitely trying a little more pressure.