mtbr member

Fork Recommendations?

I've got a thread going in the 29'er forum to get a new fork. My current suntour XCM on my Hardrock Sport is not cutting it anymore. I've learned so far that I want one of the following;
    -Rockshox Reba 100mm @ $423
    -Rockshox Recon 100mm @ $293
    -Manitou Tower Pro 100mm @ $389
    -Manitou Tower Expert 100mm @ $297

From what others are saying is that while the REBA has great adjustability it requires two air chambers and since I'm 240 the air pressures required cause problems. However I feel it is the top of the line fork and almost everyone I see is riding reba or fox. So there must be something there right?

The tower pro is supposedly stiffer and since it's a single air/coil combo it is simpler to set-up and supposedly requires way less tinkering. The tower has been recommended the most for a big guy since it can have the springs swapped out for heavier duty ones.

I basically just ride XC with a few tiny drops and bumps, but mostly just rolling hardpack with rocks here and there. So small bump compliance is way more important than the big hit stuff.

Anyone here have any experience with any of these forks as a clyde? Need Help.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I rode a Reba when I was about your weight. I never had any trouble with it. I think the two air chambers is to tailor the spring curve to good small bump compliance and good big bump response.

mtbr member
    I'm in the high 230s-low 240s depending on how much I liked dinner last night...

Reba with the 20mm maxle is probably my favorite fork ever. I have 26 and 29 versions of it on 2 bikes, and really can't find a fault. Dual air is superb; the best small bump performance of any air I've tried, the damping is really slick and super adjustable.

Manitou are pretty under-rated in my experience too, but I haven't had to deal with their c/s since the hayes buyout (and I've had terrible luck with sun-ringle, another hayes company). Can't speak to those forks, but they have offered a lot of fork for the money, even if they do have somewhat of a bad reputation on quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I agree with others, Reba would be fine. I've ridden a reba without trouble and I'm 240. I don't know the other forks, but they'd all probably be fine too.

I'm not sure if your current fork has a thru axle. but you need to take that into consideration as well--are you gonna go standard quick release, or some sort of thru axle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For the upper range of your price line you could probably wrangle a Fox F29 somewhere...I don't have personal experience on all of the forks on your list, but I will say that in terms of longevity and levels of adjustment Fox is pretty much the balls.

mtbr member
    I put the Reba RL 100mm on my hard rock 29er, and I love it. Completely transformed the bike. I'm upwards of 285, and I think it works fine.

no, I'm not riding SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I'm in the high 230s-low 240s depending on how much I liked dinner last night...

Reba with the 20mm maxle is probably my favorite fork ever. I have 26 and 29 versions of it on 2 bikes, and really can't find a fault. Dual air is superb; the best small bump performance of any air I've tried, the damping is really slick and super adjustable.

Manitou are pretty under-rated in my experience too, but I haven't had to deal with their c/s since the hayes buyout (and I've had terrible luck with sun-ringle, another hayes company). Can't speak to those forks, but they have offered a lot of fork for the money, even if they do have somewhat of a bad reputation on quality.
    +1. I have a 29er reba with a 15mm TA, and it is absolutely fantastic. bombproof.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Im going against the grain here. I had a 2011 Reba RLT Ti non maxle and I had way to much flex in it for me. PLus to much bob even when locked out. I first switched it out to a rigid carbon and I was loads faster instantly just because I wasn't being robbed of all my energy. I finally ended up with a white brothers magic 80 and have been super happy with it. The IMV does its job and basically no flex. Im about 225lbs