Thread: fork question

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

fork question

Well, let me start by saying I have resumed riding my bike as a supplement to going to the gym. I am only going about a mile, but it is a start. I noticed that my fork is, in my opinion, bottomed out or nearly so. My bike is a 96 GT Zaskar that is essentially stock. It has a 96 RockShox Judy XC. I know forks have come a long way since then and I would like to replace this with something that can stand up to me. I think that the travel is 80mm on the current one and I am not sure if this can be altered much if at all. My knowledge of this is kind of limited.

After doing the research, I found that the RS Tora Air would be a good choice, but I haven't been able to find one of these yet.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that I can look into? If I have to go away from the V brakes, I can, but I would rather not at this point.

Thanks,

Jon
    Last edited by jkuhry; 04-07-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    For 2011 the Tora Solo Air is now the Recon Silver TK Solo Air, good fork but the damper is kind of weak. It can be upgraded to a Motion Control damper for about $50.

The Manitou Match is a coil spring fork with a very good damper, and is available in 80mm with brake posts. But I'm not sure of the availability of heavier coil springs for it.

@adelorenzo
    If you plan to just keep commuting / road riding, consider a rigid fork. A lot less to go wrong and it will be faster on pavement.

If you want to get into trail riding, you're going to want a decent fork, but also disc brakes, which means new wheels as well, which means.... think about a new bike time. Bikes have come so far that an entry level bike today will be a lot better than one 15 years old, even with upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    If you plan to just keep commuting / road riding, consider a rigid fork. A lot less to go wrong and it will be faster on pavement.

If you want to get into trail riding, you're going to want a decent fork, but also disc brakes, which means new wheels as well, which means.... think about a new bike time. Bikes have come so far that an entry level bike today will be a lot better than one 15 years old, even with upgrades.

Hi Anthony/MTNBiker72,

Thanks for the responses. I do plan on eventually going back some trail riding, but nothing extreme/hardcore. I just don't want to spend the money twice on buying something now, then again further down the road. I going to take my bike into the LBS and talk to them about it tonight and get their opinion on it. Maybe in the short term, I will just leave it as is until I can find a better fork for it.

I agree with the new bike statement, and Iam working on that. I bought a Titus El Guapo frame as a present to myself. I am starting to get the parts for it, but it will take me a bit to build it up. I've done a lot of searching on the clydeproof components and hopefully will have a nice bike when I am done with it.

Would it be bad to put a 100mm travel fork on my bike if I found one that was that size instead of the 80mm? At the moment, I am just riding in the neighborhood and not doing anything crazy.

Thanks,

Jon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm a pretty big dude and had the same issue last year when picking out a fork. I couldn't find the Tora Soloair so I ended up picking up a Recon 335 with the solo-air spring and it was very solid when I had it out on the trails and the lock-out was nice for typical road riding and when putting it on the trainer for the winter. I'm probably going to upgrade it to the motion control damper but I don't have any complaints about the purchase. If you look on ebay or sites like pricepoint and Jensen you can usually find some good deals...