Bum Buzzer

Fork options for big boy.

6'8" 245lbs

I desperately want to put a Pike 454 Air U Turn on my new bike, but cannot find them anywhere.

Spring spec for the coil 454 covers ~120-~200 -- as above, I am 245 so the Coil is challenged, and I have been advised to get the air fork, AGAIN AS ABOVE - unable to get one.

Realizing that similar wright spec (~140 - ~220) on my 888 spring spec, Im wondering how on point these are.

Are there any big boys out there on Pike Coils? Too soft? Whats the deal?

I am an agressive trail rider and this thing WILL get chucked, jumped, etc -- not insane, but hard riding - I need my fork to stay connected on lil 10x20 stepdowns (smoothness abounds)

I am open to other options, but NEED 20mm, toughness, and something that will carrry my largeness without 80% sag (if you get my drift!)

HEEEEELP!! (Please!)

mtbr member

White Brothers

Check out the White Brothers Fluid Series. They have some that are air sprung and the guys at White Brothers told me there air spring would hold up to me (6'10" 275lbs). So you should be fine.
    Live Large

29 some of the time...
    White Brothers is a good rec for a coil fork. I have been pushing around 240 and ran a fluid 135 all last year. It is a coil with air assist. Coil does the majority of the work. Clydes get an extra top spring. And then 15-18psi assist was all it takes. Smooth like a coil, but resists bob like an air fork.

That said, the pike and reveletion air forks can handle your weight fine. I am currently running a reveleation. At my weight I actually run it 10psi under what they recommend for a 220lb rider. It is a nice smooth fork, but not as mellow as a coil fork. I have run pike u-turn airs for a couple of seasons and not had any issue.

SRAM and Fox coil forks are hopeless. They have stopped providing springs for riders over 210lb. I tried running a pike coil a few years back at 225lb and anything over 3' was gauranteed to bottom it out. Some riders seem to like the 50% sag, personally I found that I need air or air assist.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I've known a few people that weighed a bit less than you that tried the heavier spring in their Pike and went back to the stock spring. Leads me to believe that the heavier coil may be about right for your weight.

Do they even make an air u-turn? I thought all u-turns were coil sprung.