Your bike is incorrigible

Fork on a new Heckler

I bought a new Heckler frame this past spring, and I stuck my old Pike coil on it. There are two problems I've been having: diving and the fact that I had cut the steerer tube too short (it was on a bike with a short steerer tube before).

Now I want a new fork, but I just can't make up my mind. Every major brand has decent offerings. I would really like something lighter, perhaps air instead of coil. I'm 235lbs, maybe somewhere around 250 with all my gear on. Should I just forget it and go with another Pike, like the 545 air?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I put a Fox TALAS 36 RC2 on my new Heckler. It's a very nice fork. At 300lbs, I only need to put about 125psi in it to get good performance. The adjustable travel is really nice, too. I leave it at 5" for most riding, but I crank it up to 6" for longer descents. I only use the 4" setting for riding up over the ridge to the trails.

That said, it's a ridiculously expensive fork, and there are other (often cheaper) options. Check out Marzocchi's new 55 forks, which should be available soon. They have big stanchions, thru-axles, and come in a bunch of different versions.

But really, a Pike is a great fork for a Heckler, since the frame was designed around a 140mm fork and Fox doesn't make a thru-axle 140mm fork for less than a whole lot of money.