mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Fork for clyde under $250...and other component questions on a tight budget.

Hello all,

I sold my Kona King Kikapu and have my old Trek 4500 Disc Frame. I need to fit it with forks, brakes, and convert it to a 1X9.

I had a Tora 318Air on the Kona, but can't find one anymore. What is a decent shock under $250? 100mm max travel to work with the frames geometry.

I also am looking for a decent hydraulic brake set. I had Avid juicy 5's on the Kona 203mm F and 160mm R. Since I am on a budget, I was looking at the Juicy 3's with 8" rotors all around... What is recommended in this day and age?.

Lastly, the 1X9 conversion. I was just thinking to take the crappy Acera front derailleur off, replacing it with a Jump Stop N-gear. Keeping the Deore rear, the crappy Shimano 8 spd cranks, and removing the front shifter. Also, upgrading the cog to 9spd, 9 spd chain, and upgrade the rear shifter to something that can handle the 9spd. Will this work???

Anyhow I am 6' 225lbs and only ride XC.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by medik13; 05-24-2011 at 12:05 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    Fork wise if you can step up to $300, the Manitou Minute Expert is a huge improvement over what can be had at $250 (Tora TK).

Brakes, get the Elixir 3 over the Juicy 3...I own both Juicy (5's) and Elixir (R's) and the Elixir is a much better brake.

Assuming the chainrings can be removed on the cheap 8 speed crankset, then your 1x9 should work fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for your reply. Call me crazy, but for the fork, I am contemplating a Surly ridgid 1X1 and the fatest front tire that will fit it. I was thinking ridgid fork because it will free up money to get better brakes, like the Elixir's or XT's, and cranks, and I think I will be OK with it on the limited XC trails in S. Florida and the daily leisurely stroll through the neighborhood. What do you think?

For the 1X9, I will have to get new cranks with removable chainrings to handle the upgrade. Any recomendations?

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by medik13
    Thanks for your reply. Call me crazy, but for the fork, I am contemplating a Surly ridgid 1X1 and the fatest front tire that will fit it. I was thinking ridgid fork because it will free up money to get better brakes, like the Elixir's or XT's, and cranks, and I think I will be OK with it on the limited XC trails in S. Florida and the daily leisurely stroll through the neighborhood. What do you think?

For the 1X9, I will have to get new cranks with removable chainrings to handle the upgrade. Any recomendations?
    A rigid with a fat front tire works...I run a 29er rigid 1 x 9 myself for my screw off bike

The LX cranksets at JensonUSA for $89 are about the best deal going right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks so much for the heads up on the cranks! I am going to place the order for that and the Surly 1X1.

So for the 1X9, all I have to do is remove the smallest chianring and install the N-gear, correct? What about a bashguard to keep the chain from jumping off?

Former Bike Wrench
    Thanks so much for the heads up on the cranks! I am going to place the order for that and the Surly 1X1.

So for the 1X9, all I have to do is remove the smallest chianring and install the N-gear, correct? What about a bashguard to keep the chain from jumping off?
    Not the best picture but I think you can see it well enough. I have just a 32t ring (unramped Salsa which I recommend, sell your Shimano rings as a set in the classifieds and you'll probably get $50) with a BBG 34t bashguard and N-Gear

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looks Great!
    OK about to place the order and was thinking a 34T Salsa ring with a 36T BBG chainguard. I am planning to keep it a 1X8 right now til I get the funds to change the shifter, cassette and chain to a 9 spd.. Will this ratio work on a 26" or should I step up to a 36T chainring and a 38T bashguard?

Former Bike Wrench
    With a 11-34 9 speed cassette, you'd want a 36t on a 26er to have the same low and high gear as I have with a 32t and 29" tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I can not thank you enough! I have ordered all parts except for the brakes.

For the chainring and bash, I decided to for a non-ramped 34T Salsa and BBG 36T bash. Since I am staying 8 speed for a while, I researched that this was a good chainring ratio. Correct me if I am wrong and I will call and change my order.

For the Fork, I went with a 100mm corrected Surly 1X1. Do you think I will be OK with 100mm cause the fork that came on the bike originally was 80mm? I later upgraded the fork to a Marzzochi MX Comp 105mm, so that is why I chose the 100mm corrected ridgid.

I am trying to find Elixir 3's on ebay for a good deal. I am going to go 185mm all around.
    Last edited by medik13; 05-25-2011 at 04:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you want pricey brakes just to have stopping power, they are unnecessary. Get Avid's BB7 mechanical brakes. 185's all around will stop great for less than $100. I've had them for years and love them. Easy to adjust and work flawlessly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    While you are ordering make sure you have the correct adapters for the brake mounts on the fork. I don't remember if the BB7's come with post mount and/or the iso mount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Love the price of the BB7's so much that I just ordered them. Thanks for the recommendation!

mtbr member
    Love the price of the BB7's so much that I just ordered them. Thanks for the recommendation!
    BB7's are great brakes, especially for the price

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    While you are ordering make sure you have the correct adapters for the brake mounts on the fork. I don't remember if the BB7's come with post mount and/or the iso mount.
    They come with the ISO adapters for the rotor size, but not post mount adapters for 185mm and 203mm rotors.

The BB7's have lots of power for sure but don't hold a candle to Elixir's for modulation.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    They come with the ISO adapters for the rotor size, but not post mount adapters for 185mm and 203mm rotors.

The BB7's have lots of power for sure but don't hold a candle to Elixir's for modulation. Keep in mind the price also does not include Levers or Cables/Housing for the BB7's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I really thank you guys for all the suggestions. I think I will have a pretty strong build for my tight budget. For what I would have spent on the Manitou Minute Fork alone, I was able to get a ridgid fork, upgrade my drivetrain, and get new discs.

I am also trying to get rid of my Selle SLR seat and thudbuster that was uncomfortable to get a thomson elite post and a brooks b17 saddle.