Thread: Foot Problems

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Foot Problems

Hi,

I am 6' tall and 235 Lbs. I ride a full suspension Fuel 90.

I have been riding for many years at this weight without problems, but recently I am getting pain in the balls of my feet after being on the bike for 2+hours. I think the answer is stiffer shoes. Does anyone have a recommendation for good supportive shoes for fat guys?

Thanks
    DDXC

mtbr member
    I really like my Specialized BG Comp mtb shoe. Not the cheapest, but if they fit your foot they are great.

Bike Junkie
    For starters I happen to have flat feet. The ball of my foot will hurt and then after 2hrs it goes numb in the toes. I have ridden many shoes; but all the insoles are crap. I've put in some orthotics; but they are too thick. I've recently tried 2 types of insoles. The first was the Superfeet (green actually fits into my Sidi Dominators) and have had a good amount of comfort. The second was the Specialized BG insoles, these insoles helped the most.

I'm a fan of good arch support and another of the Spec. BG metatarsal button; but it's got to be big because you put a lot of pressure on your feet while riding.

I'm not sure if the Blue/Grey Superfeet are as good or worse than the greens that I had available at the time. The greens are supposed to be more support because they are for hiking shoes. But the Specialized BG insoles specifically state they are not for walking; but for cycling.
    See You On The Trails!

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by DDXC
    Hi,

I am 6' tall and 235 Lbs. I ride a full suspension Fuel 90.

I have been riding for many years at this weight without problems, but recently I am getting pain in the balls of my feet after being on the bike for 2+hours. I think the answer is stiffer shoes. Does anyone have a recommendation for good supportive shoes for fat guys?

Thanks
    DDXC
    DDXC, go to www.lakecycling.com and check out their MX165 shoes in wide sizes. I purchased a pair of MX165's and MX190's after my Sidi's were causing pain in my feet. They are a bit heavy as they have Vibram soles, but they will last 3 times as long, plus they are half the price. Their sizing is fairly right on.

Only problem I've had is with the MX190's buckle not releasing. The MX165's are fairly solid and most of the fit is handled inside the shoe as there are hidden laces under the tongue so you can get them as snug or loose as you want to.

mtbr member
    Heh blackout, you fix the problem. I'm flat footed and tried the green superfeeet as well. Too much of an arch, although I may put them in my snowboard boat. I am using the blue Spesh insole as of last week. Only rode twice, but still and issue. I even did a cleat fitting at my LBS. Still no fix.

Bike Junkie
    Yes, the green insoles are thicker and I found that they are far superior to any stock insole; but you might have to get a wider shoe because of the exta padding. That's why the grey/blue insoles are supposed to be better for road riding, the front of the foot is very thin; but this is where our problem lies doesn't it?

I +++ version of the BG is excessive and does help in the long term. It's much more arch support that I should have in there according to my flat feet but what it really helps is to distribute the pressure points from where they used to be to new locations.

Along with the fact that most people with flat feet tend to pronate; which for some can destabilize the knee. I found after using orthotics for the first time that my knees were sore; but they were just getting used to being in alignment again.

You may want to try getting some custom orthotics made up; but without the cushioned neoprene. I've seen some that look like they are just made of acrylic and they might help force the issue with the amount of pressure that we put on our feet while riding.

I also find that because I had heel lift that I overtightened the straps and buckles on my sidi dominators. It was much worse when I was wearing Shimano shoes.
    See You On The Trails!