Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

FNG, looking at a couple Spesh bikes

725 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  R+P+K 
#1 ·
Greetings, all!
I'm 6'3", 260lb and looking at my first mtb. I ride bmx in high school, and haven't ridden since. I've come across an incredibly polite and helpful lbs, and they stick spesh: I rode their fatboy for a couple years, and have always been impressed with the company.
I had originally decided on a RH Pro, but then I saw the Carve Comp. I have a few simple (read stupid) questions :
1) is the M4 frame enough to hold my weight? I've always had steel bikes.
2) is the geometry difference enough to matter? I'll be riding the FATS trails here in the CSRA, coupled with pedaling around the local dirt roads.
3) I've come to understand that one would be better served dropping another few dollars initially if possible. Between these two bikes, would I be best served with the Carve?

I understand we're armchair-quarterbacking here, but I would like as much info as humanly possible prior to dropping $1600. Also, if there's anyone else in the CSRA,check out Andy Jordans, as they know their stuff.

Thanks all!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm 6'2" and 300ish LBs so I'm a bigger dude than you. I'm riding a 2011 RH Comp 29 so I feel I can answer your questions reasonably accurately :)

1) Yes. My RH has an M4 frame.

2) Probably not enough to notice. The Carve has "XC" geo so I guess that means a tad steeper.

3) Comparing the specs of both bikes (and I'm assuming we're talking 2013 models), the Carve trumps the RH on the frame and fork. All the other components are pretty much the same level.

Both bikes would serve you well but I think the $300 extra isn't too bad for a better frame and fork.

FWIW, my RH is a "lower" spec than both of your choices and it has withstood thousands of miles of riding without a single problem. All I've had to replace are brake pads and tyres.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.