mtbr member
    Jan 2013

fix'er up or buy new

Have a 18 year old cannondale Killer v 500 with old manitou 4 shock and cantilever breaks, should I invest in fixing up that bike or buy a new FS bike?

I'm 6'2 250lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If I were you, which I'm not, I'd find some retro nut to sell the old bike to and put the money towards something modern. The difference between then and now, especially for your bulk, makes me lean towards something from this century! You'll really love disc brakes if you've never ridden with them before. The suspension is far more realistic for your weight these days as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TooTallUK View Post
    If I were you, which I'm not, I'd find some retro nut to sell the old bike to and put the money towards something modern. The difference between then and now, especially for your bulk, makes me lean towards something from this century! You'll really love disc brakes if you've never ridden with them before. The suspension is far more realistic for your weight these days as well.
    That's what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    keep the old bike and build it up as a ridgid beater bike/commuter/whatever bike and start riding around a bit to get back in shape while you mull your options for buying new (I'm assuming it's been several years since you've ridden)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    keep the old bike and build it up as a ridgid beater bike/commuter/whatever bike and start riding around a bit to get back in shape while you mull your options for buying new (I'm assuming it's been several years since you've ridden)
    That is true put a Thompson stem and hellbent bars on it with cane creek solos headset few years back. Haven't ridden much since

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Get a new FS bike, but keep the old frame and fork. Bikes are so much better than they were just 10 years ago. I have a 1999 Gary Fisher hardtail that I'm thinking about building into a light trail / city bike, but I still kick myself for not saving my 1989 Rockhopper frame. I'd love to have it on my wall now
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double