mtbr member

Fitting of Pearl Izumi shorts Please help!!

Hey guys,

I'm in the market of buying some shorts and was wondering how the fit was. Now I see some great sales on the Pearl Izumi shorts but they are for a waist size 42. I'm normally a 40. Is it worth a shot buying them a size bigger just because they are on sale or should I just hunt around for a sz 40. Here are the shorts I was looking at:

Cereal Killer
    I have a pair of PI's, and their ok. I have thicker-than-normal thighs, and the xx-large feel exactly as the x-large in the thighs. I can't tell a difference really. The elastic around the bottom seems like it's cut too narrow for thicker legs. They just are a little too tight.

mtbr member
    I've got a different model of PI shorts and they run a bit big. I end up rolling the top down and they fit kind of awkward. Consequently, I don't wear them much. The pad is nice though.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I have a pair of Pearl shorts that I really like alot, they are a baggy I forget the name.

Custom User Title
    In my professional opinion, I would pass on the XXL if you are a true 40. While its a good deal, and a great chamois, you dont want it moving around under you, it can cause friction and chaffing.

rust never sleeps
    Go for it. My waist is about a 41 and I have 2 pairs of PI XXL shorts (same type you're looking at, I beleive). They are a little snug; but thats kinda the point for a Lycra short.
    I love you to death, but get on the bus or throw yourself under it.

...a peaceful man stands tall...