mtbr member
    Nov 2004

fit clydes and race categories

So, if a rather 6'5" 205# guy signs up for a race as a clyde, is there much fuss over it?

I Strava Hamburgers
    There shouldn't be if you're a reasonably fit guy and at 205lbs.

If you're 205lbs and an elite level rider... then yeah there might be some grumbling about it but you fit the bill so have atter.

I guess it depends on if you want to have a beer with your fellow riders at the end of the day, or if you feel your new pair of socks and shiny medal are better company.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Definatly not Elite here and the beer does flow with the end of ever ride. It's about fun and pushing myself...sometimes pushing up the hill! I'm just not gushing with adipose tissue or muscle for that matter, I'm just tall and heavy.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Then id say have atter and ignore any mumbling you might come across :-)
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    if you are winning every race you might want to move up... to a more difficult class... but if you are a clyd you're a clyd... it's a class for guys over 200#... end of story.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson View Post
    if you are winning every race you might want to move up... to a more difficult class... but if you are a clyd you're a clyd... it's a class for guys over 200#... end of story.
    Winning is my warning sign that I'm about to lose my day job and that some new beers have come on the market that I've not tried.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    We had a guy last year race clydesdale... Dang near 7ft tall, skinny as can be, but he weighed 200-220lbs so he picked on the fat kids. He did move this year to a true Cat 2 and is racing other skinny guys. I'm very much hoping that he decides not to come back to clydesdale.

I wouldn't pitch a fit about a #201 in a #200+ category but I'd sure crack a joke or two at the starting line then drink beer with him afterwards.
    Chris, 6'1" 275lb clyde, Giant Anthem x 29er w/FULL 2012 XT group, Giant Defy Composite Ultegra. Team Truly Spokin!

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Weight is weight, and that is often the only requirement to race in a Clydesdale category. It is not called the "Fat Category," or the "Overweight Category." If you are 200# or more, come out and play.

This is from the perspective of a tall, fit, thin clyde who has been beaten in his last 3 races by Pro and Cat 1 level riders that now exceed 200#, probably don't train as hard as they did 2-3 years ago, and now race in this open category. If you win the Clyde Cat (6 race state series), you get bumped to Cat 2.