Rollin' on 29s!

Fisher X-cal 29er or Stumpjumper Comp advice please

Hi there. Been riding a road bike for the past few years (Sepcialized Roubaix, love it!), but after borrowing a friends Klein and trying it out this weekend, I think I want to start adding mountain biking to my workouts. It was a lot of fun, and there are lots of pretty decent trails near my house, (nothing too extreme, but there are a lot of roots, ruts, and rocks. Don't think I'll ever be doing anything too extreme like jumping).

So, been looking, researching, checking out the LBS, and the two hard tail bikes I've ridden that I liked were the Specialized Stumpjumper Comp (approx $1350) , and the Gary Fisher X-cal 29er (approx $1050).

I liked the Fisher better, think it was a slightly better fit and feel, and I like the idea of the 29" wheels. But, I'm a bit concerned that the bigger wheels might be a bit weaker? I'm 6'1", about 280 lbs. (50 pounds lighter since road biking. Would be a hundred if I ate better, but...)

So, with my size, and riding type, do you think I would have any problems with either of these bikes? Would you say one might be somewhat better than the other for any reason? Also, I know the 2008 fisher is going to be redesigned with G2 geometry. Not sure I'd want to wait for that, as I won't get near as good a deal as on the '07. But, should I?

Thanks for taking the time to help a noob!

Black Sheep rising
    I am nearly your size (6'2", 270) and have a 29er from Ibex. A friend nearly the same size has a GF Paragon. Neither of us has had any issues with wheels, or anything else, for that matter. We have essentially the same kind of terrain here (SE Michigan), and the 29er really helps roll over the obstacles. Go with the big wheels.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Rollin' on 29s!
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm in SE Michigan too, Ann Arbor area. I'm guessing I can't go wrong with either, but the big wheels seem nice, and the price is cheaper too. I'm going to go ride them again tonight. (Heck, who knows, maybe I'll be bringing it home too!). Or, maybe I'll confuse the heck out of me further by starting to consider some full suspension bikes!

Fat guy on a bike
    The deciding factor should be weight I think. The stumpjumper is a lightweight bike meant for speedy xc type riding, while the X-calibur a bit heavier and more for general xc riding, and definitely better for rolling over rough terrain.

Probably drunk right now

The right bike for you is....

The one that fits you best. You likely know this from riding road bikes. A $5,000 bike is a turd if it doesn't fit you. A $500 can be a rock star if it does fit you.

Keep in mind that you're a clyde. So regardless of which bike you buy, you'll likely wind up replacing broken parts. You're big, you put a lot of torque on your bike. You're going to break stuff.

29er wheels can be built tough. I wouldn't worry about them not holding up any more than 26" wheels. Remember, you're a Clyde. So you'll likely replace your wheels at some point, regardless of their size.

The Specialized and the Fisher are both good bikes. You won't go wrong with either of them. But if the Fisher fits you best, then my advice is the Fisher.

Rollin' on 29s!

Rollin' on 29s!!

Well, I went back to the bike shop last night, and rode them both more. I also rode a 29er specialized rock hopper that was pretty nice too. In the end, I went with the Fisher. I think it fit me the best, felt the least cramped on it. I may want to swap out a slightly shorter stem, but I'm going to just go with this and see how I like it for now.

I got a pretty good deal, got the bike for $1080, 2 free tubes, and 10% off a set of Ergon grips and a bottle cage that they installed for free. I also swapped out the pedals with some other Shimano SPD pedals I had that I think are a bit better. At least they are a lot easier to clip in and out of, and look like they have better sealed bearings.

I don't know if it was luck, or if the bike shop looked up my measurements from my roadbike fit, but when I went home, I got out the measuring tape to transfer the seat height and setback from my roadie, and everything was already pretty much spot on! Now, I don't know if being the same as my roadie will really be the same optimal setup for this bike, but so far it feels pretty good. I do get the feeling that I might want the seat a tad lower on trails than I would normally otherwise have it though.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys! Hopefully I'll go riding today and see how it feels. I also need to learn how to adjust and setup my Reba fork, and evenntually adjust these disc BB brakes, because all of that stuff is totally new to me. If anyone has any pointers in those departments, let me know.

Captain Underpants
    Mike, that is a great deal. I rode the Fisher and was really impressed with the handling of the bike. At your size/weight, a 29er is perfect. There are lots of setup threads for the Reba on the 29er board, and ask on the brake board for brake advice. Enjoy!

Black Sheep rising
    Good job, and a good price! If you ever come a bit east to the Detroit metro area, you'll have to show off a bit for us.

Hint: Start out with 160/150 in the Reba. Adjust from there.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Rollin' on 29s!
    Thanks for the info, that's about what I've gleaned from searching other threads.

Now, forgive this total newb question, but its not addressed in the SRAM Reba manual, and perhaps this would be super obvious if I was actually looking at my bike (at work now). But - how do I adjust the pressure? I've got a pump with shrader and presta ends. Is there some nipple I hook it up to and just pump away, or do I need any sort of special adapter?

Black Sheep rising
    There are 2 removable caps on both the top and bottom of the Reba. Unscrewing those caps will reveal a schraeder(sp?) valve. The top is positive and the bottom, negative.

Usually a special pump just for shocks is used. Since I bought one, I have no experience to determine if it is absolutely necessary, but I suspect not. Don't take my word for it.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06