mtbr member

Fisher Piranha for Clydes?

Just wondering if any Clydes ride a Fisher Piranha. I checked one out today and like the lock out feature and disc brakes not to mention the genesis geometry. I'm pretty stuck on the HT thing for now, any help would be great. As usual, lol.

brderj

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by brderj
    Just wondering if any Clydes ride a Fisher Piranha.
    I don't ride one, but my wife does. She really likes the bike, and I think it is a pretty good value. But she's not clyde-sized (far from it). I am, however, and I personally would not trust that bike underneath me on demanding terrain. My reasons: fork not beefy enough, wheels are kinda weak, etc. I'm not basing my opinion on any real scientific facts. It just seems kind of "dainty". When I put the Piranha next to my Kona Hoss, it's easy for me to see the Hoss is built for a bigger rider, and the Piranha is not. JMO.

Patrick

mtbr member
    If I go with this bike I already have it in my head to replace a few things, one being the fork. I would like to get a Kona Hoss but I can not find them in LBS around here and since I am getting back into biking after a long "vacation" I do not trust buying a bike on line until I know a little more about sizing. Thanks for the review on the bike, I appreciate it.

brderj

mtbr member
    I ride a GF HKEK, and am quite pleased w/ it. Not sure how much stronger the Platinum Series ZR9000 internally and externally butted aluminum, is over the Gold Series 6061 T6 internally and externally butted aluminum.
    I am 6'2" and 275lbs. The Genesis Geometry works for me.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that. I'm so tired of looking for a bike and I just want to have it and ride it, really afraid to buy a bust bike though. Thanks for the info!

brderj

mtbr member
    I did a test ride with this bike and decided to go with it. It's comfotable to sit in, shifts pretty good etc. etc. I know its not the best bike out there but I really like it and hopefully it should do the trick. Thanks for all the advice given, not just this thread but all the questions I've had over the years.

brderj

mtbr member
    how's it workin out for ya?
    Drop the excuses and pick up a purpose, b!tches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm 6' 215lbs and I ride an 06' GF Piranha and love it. I push the bike pretty hard and have no problems. It is very well built- GF gold series aluminum is not "dainty" by any means. It is externally and internally butted 6061 with high quality welds and gusset work. Not to mention that Genesis Geometry is so nice if it fits you. The bike has sick traction, handling, and is FAST. There are better bikes out there- not at that price point in my opinion. I shopped around for a while and for 650 dollars or so- the Piranha is a GREAT ride. Hope this helps.

Double-metric mtb man
    I'm 6' and was 250lb when I picked up my Marlin last year (they tested out the Piranah as a special edition of the Marlin in Canada). I've had no real problems with the bike (other than a little chain suck at the start) and it continues to do well.

It is not the fanciest or flashiest bike out there, but it is quick, pretty nimble and can handle a Clyde fairly well.

Give he fork a bit of a chance. I had my reservations on it too, but it has actually done fairly well despite my size. The '05 Manitou Axel was a he!! of a lot better than the previous version.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me