mtbr member
    Mar 2006

First Trail Ride = 2 Slow Leaks... Why?

I have done about 40 miles of gentle riding on my new bike, but then I took it for 10 miles on my local advanced trail. The next morning, both my tires were flat. I pumped them up and di my usual gentle riding (mostly pavement) and they did fine, but then the next morning both tires were flat again.

I am wondering, did my ride through the advanced trail bend out the rims or something since I am such a fat fu... err clyde? It just seems unlikely that both tires would get a slow leak at the same time unless it had something to do with my weight.

Is 2 slow leaks from 1 ride a sign that I am too heavy for my rims, or is something else going on here? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check the stems and see if there is seepage.
    Then pull the tubes and take a good look at them and feel the inside of the tires..
    Where I ride there are a lot of little pointy things, that's why we heavily slime the tires. The Slime helps a lot on the little stuff around here.

NormalNorm
    Are they presta tubes??? I've had this problem before, make sure you tighten the presta valve down. Sometimes they will slowly leak air, if they are not tight.......it diffently won't be the rims. If it was the rims, then you would be pinching the tube on the rim-aka snake bite.

Making fat cool since '71
    As previously mentioned, it's likely some little prick (sorry, had to) in the tube. Pinch flats are, shall we say, obvious (hissing and rapid loss of air presssure followed by copius amounts of cursing if you are anywhere near me).

What works for me is to take the tube out and pump a lot of pressure into the tube and "feel" for the leak(s). You can do that in the tub or a bucket, but I just feel/listen for it 'cuz I'm lazy and don't want to dry off tubes before I patch them. Also as mentioned, do not forget to check the inside of the tire casing to make sure you wont be putting a new hole in your tube once everything is back together. Trust me, it's frustrating (I did that once many years ago while in a hurry while doing a trail fix...).

Some places of the world have horrible amounts of "goatheads" (evil-thorny weed seed pods) or other devious instruments of tube destruction. When I lived in one such place (western CO) I ran kevlar tire liners (spinskins was the brand) always. Here (western OR) it isn't as big an issue. I've never used slime, but lots of folks like it. Good luck and ride well. Welcome to pack...

Kraig...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.