mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First road bike ride.

Well I just got back from my first road bike ride. I picked up a 2009 Jamis Xenith Race just before Christmas and this is the first time that I've had a chance to take it out.

So I started in Corona off Green River Road and took the Santa Ana River Trail all the way down to Huntington Beach. The ride down was pretty easy, of course it's all down hill. The trip back was a nightmare! I thought I was going to die!! But I survived. And the biggest problem was the bloody Fizzik Saddle on my road bike. I F'ing hate that thing!!!! The biggest problem coming back was that I couldn't get comfortable on the seat and had to stop all the bloody time to let my ass stop hurting. I'm sure it's great for the skinny mini race guys but I'm a 250 lb Clyde!

I have to say the bike itself is EPIC! The efficiency in which it transfers power from the pedals to the ground is amazing and effortless!! I did put a set of 700X25 Armadillo road tires on it because I hate stopping to fix flats. The tires are fantastic! Grip and seem indestructible. Riding through a tunnel in almost complete darkness (because of my sunglasses) I rode over a half broken glass bottle and they came out completely unscathed. I am duly impressed.

I'm posting this in the Clyde forum because I'm a Clyde. I know it's a road review but I like this forum better. The road bike review page kinda blows.

Oh, and why are so many roadies snobs? I say hello and nod to everybody and maybe 10% of the people I saw responded, when I'm on Mtn Bike Trails more than 75% say hello or wave. Mtn Bikers are just better people LOL.
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

mtbr member
    Road riding isn't as 'fun' per se as trail riding on the mtb, but there is something very gratifying about it nonetheless. I bought my road bike expecting it to be mostly a commuting/fitness tool, but there have been times when I've set out for a long road ride instead of heading into the mountains, and enjoyed myself just as much. I've put about 4k miles on my road bike in 3 seasons now, including a couple organized century rides and a few long solo 70-80 mile rides on my own.

A couple things I noticed. 1) good bib shorts are a requirement. You're sitting on the seat far more than on a mtb, and can go 10-30 minutes without any cause to stand. I don't know what you were riding in, but if you're gonna ride any distance, you have to bite the bullet and wear spandex. Nobody likes to look at it, I know, but I was a believer the first ride I finally put 'em on. And let me save you the hassle and $$, and recommend bibs from the beginning -- they seem to fit a lot better, especially big guys, and are always in the right spot. With no underwear underneath. Sounds weird, I know, but it is night and day difference. Chamois cream helps, too. As does shifting a bit every so many minutes, whether standing to pedal or coast, or just rearranging on the saddle to change blood flow.

2) Finding the right saddle is also a quest for most roadies, it seems. Almost like pedals, no one seems to stick with the saddle their bike came with. It took me 2 switches before I found one I'm content with -- Terry Fly. Of course, it is my experience that any new saddle will be uncomfortable for the first few rides, but it takes a bit to break the rear end into the seat. Just have to suck it up a bit -- it gets better with time.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road