Thread: First Bike Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

First Bike Ride

Hello. Rode my new Kono Unit for the first time to work and back yesterday and hoped I can get some feedback on some of you other heavy guys. I am 6'3 at 275pounds and very out of shape.

I rode 2 miles to school and by the time I got there I could barely walk up one flight of stairs. I knew I was out of shape but was not expecting this. I did manage to ride it back home but decided not to try it again today. My rear hurt a ton also. I plan on going to the bike shop to look at a few saddles but also thinking i need some type of biker shorts. So here is a few questions I have (I did try to find the info on the forums but I must fail at searching).

1. How long did it take you out of shape riders before you didnt feel like you was about to have a heart attack after a few mile ride? I am cleaning up my eating habbit also. Limiting myself to one soda a day (actually in last three days Iv only had a pepsi for lunch once).

2. Is there some type of biker shorts I can just wear under my pants/shorts. If so what brands do you all recommend. Since I will be riding to school I hoped to avoid the silly looking shorts, but my ass hurt to much not to get some padding.

What I hope to begin doing once I replace my seat and get some padding is to ride my bike to school three times during the week Will also begin riding the few trails we have around town when I can fit the time in. Was thinking of just going to the local Y and ride their new CFC Indoor Cycling program until I get into decent riding shape.

Hermit
    First of all congrats for starting the addiction. You picked a good one!

It may take a little while, but less time than you think.

The thing is that the more you do it, the easier it gets. So if you can only ride once or twice a week it's going to take longer than if you ride every day or every other day. A couple of miles around the neighborhood in the afternoon is a good way to help burn off the days calories and helps build up those quads & cardio.

For me it didn't seem to take a long time to get the legs up to strength, maybe a couple of weeks or a month, but it took a lot longer to get my breathing stronger. I was getting out maybe three times a week & riding 3 to 4 miles of slightly hilly singletrack. When I started out it took me an hour and 15 minutes to ride a 3 mile loop that I can now do in 23 minutes.

As for the shorts, try some padded chamois bike shorts. The stretchy ones are easier on you when you ride, and you can wear baggies over them if you want. But check out your seat angle, and see if you can adjust that to get more comfortable. Just make sure you tighten that seat bolt back down as hard as you can after adjusting it!

Just keep at it, though. Ride a bit around the neighborhood or local trails during the week, then plan yourself your big, fun ride(s) for the weekend. Before you know it you'll be realizing your not a noobie anymore, and it's not killing you to ride any more either.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavbor
    Hello. Rode my new Kono Unit for the first time to work and back yesterday and hoped I can get some feedback on some of you other heavy guys. I am 6'3 at 275pounds and very out of shape.

I rode 2 miles to school and by the time I got there I could barely walk up one flight of stairs. I knew I was out of shape but was not expecting this. I did manage to ride it back home but decided not to try it again today. My rear hurt a ton also. I plan on going to the bike shop to look at a few saddles but also thinking i need some type of biker shorts. So here is a few questions I have (I did try to find the info on the forums but I must fail at searching).

1. How long did it take you out of shape riders before you didnt feel like you was about to have a heart attack after a few mile ride? I am cleaning up my eating habbit also. Limiting myself to one soda a day (actually in last three days Iv only had a pepsi for lunch once).

2. Is there some type of biker shorts I can just wear under my pants/shorts. If so what brands do you all recommend. Since I will be riding to school I hoped to avoid the silly looking shorts, but my ass hurt to much not to get some padding.

What I hope to begin doing once I replace my seat and get some padding is to ride my bike to school three times during the week Will also begin riding the few trails we have around town when I can fit the time in. Was thinking of just going to the local Y and ride their new CFC Indoor Cycling program until I get into decent riding shape.
    Congrats on the new bike!

1. Not that long, just keep doing it
    1a. Soda is bad, switch to diet.

2.Yes, you can buy just the liner, they also make them for MTB that have a baggy shell attached
    2.a It is possible you are sore because the bike is not set up properly for you. I would take it back to the shop where you got it and ask them to check your fit.

mtbr member
    1. After 3-4 hard rides, you'll start feeling better. It may be a few weeks before you're not dying breathing-wise. Just stay at it. It depends on your natural endurance. Try to take it easy at first and then work up.
    Get off the soda. If you must have soda, switch to diet. Just hold your nose and choke it down for a couple of weeks. After that, you'll be fine and it will be very hard to go back, since regular soda will taste super sweet. Try Diet Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, or Diet Mt. Dew, they're the closest, I think. But, if you can, get off soda. Go with unsweetened tea or something.

2. Try some Pearl Izumi attack shorts. You'll be amazed at how much of a difference the new memory-foam type shorts will make. You can wear normal shorts over them. When I ride off road I wear cargo shorts over them. I actually like bibs. They look dorky, but work great.

Before getting a new saddle, you might try one of the $20 Bell (or equivalent) gel seat covers. Ride with that until you get your butt used to riding. And, you can take it to spin class to help with those seats. After a few weeks or a month, you'll be ok and can go with the seat only. And, they're cheap.

These are just my observations on what helped me at first. The spin class is a good idea. I remember that after my first class I thought I would drop dead right there on the spot. After about three classes, I could do it much better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will go out and buy a pair of padded shorts in the morning then go for a short ride this weekend. I will start my search at Pearl Izumi attack shorts and branch out from there, Even though I was sore I still felt great. Used to in the army and excercise back then was everyday. lol. Will go weigh myself in the morning and hit the gym/biketrails hardcore and in a month will post my success story. lol.

Big Boy
    I am 255 lbs and ride a 2011 kona unit also. my butt never got used to the stock saddle and I had to swap mine out. ended up going with a wtb silverado, but everyones butt is different so you gotta see what works for you. I tried doing a spin class, but i didnt like it that much. If im going to do cardio on a bike i want to be outside riding on a trail. Starting out with a singlespeed will definitely suck more until you build up your legs/lungs, but you will also get stronger faster on a SS. And a SS rigid bike will make you very good technically. If you ever ride a hardtail or fully it will almost feel like cheating. Good luck with the riding getting into shape. I started eating right and riding about 25-45 miles a week and I am losing the weight quickly. Went from 272 to 258 in three weeks.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!