Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

First Bike Buying Advice

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  GOTA 
#1 ·
Hello, I started a thread in the Beginner's Corner (located Here) and was advised that I might have better luck getting help here in the Clyde subforum as I'm 6'3", 240#, 36" inseam. To give some back story for those that don't want to go to that other thread I haven't ridden in 15+ years. I'm looking to get back into riding and in shape, I would also like to be able to bike into some spots for bow hunting this year. I started out with a budget of $500-$750 and after some reading and test rides was worried about the front fork not being stout enough. So I moved up too the $1000 range and still had my doubts. I would prefer to purchase the right equipment once instead of spending more money in the long run by having to buy multiple bikes or doing upgrades multiple times to finally get it right. The 3 bikes I started looking hard at where the Airborne Goblin, Giant XTC 2, & Trek X-Cal. I have concerns with buying the Goblin being a new rider and needing support from my LBS so that one is on the back burner and I am headed this Friday to Ride both the XTC 2 and X-Cal. I was hoping to get some opinions on which bike people would buy $1500 or less and if I was missing any options (building my own, X brand bike, etc.). Being new I don't really understand how certain spec stacks up against each other and could use some education on why X piece of gear is better than Y on the above bikes. I had some comments in the other thread saying that the bikes I have been looking at are Racing bikes and there might be some concern with twitchy handling from what I gathered. Is there any advice/opinions regarding this? I only started looking at these bikes as they had the beefier front forks I was after and am open to other suggestions if their are better options available for me. I have no qualms with the bike being lighter if the handling is still fine, I would think that would be desirable, but being a novice I thought it best to ask. Well hopefully that is enough information to start. If you have any questions of me to help with suggestions just let me know. Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have no personal experience with any of those bikes, but have heard good things about the x-cal, among clydes. I was remotely considering the x-cal a while back but it was not stocked by my LBS, so I never got to test ride it.

As far as twitchy handling, maybe swap out the handlebar for something a bit longer or with a rise? This may be an issue for more experienced discerning riders.

I'll let those with more wisdom chime in....

#3 ·
If you are interested in the X-Caliber you need to read the Reba fork thread on this Clyde forum. If you are worried about that fork at your size it will put your mind at ease.

Remember the most important thing is to find a bike that you want to ride. To do that you need to try as many bikes of the type you want at the price point you want as possible. Since you listed the XTC and the X-Cal I'm going to assume you are looking for a hardtail 29er. Check out the Specialized Carve Comp, Jamis Dragon Sport, Santa Cruz Highball, Fuji Tahoe 3, Cannondale Flash 3 etc....

In other words try to ride as many bikes as you can to see which one feels the best. Don't be in a hurry! The bikes will still be there while you are trying others. Then once you've narrowed it down to what feels the best is when you start worrying about the components. It doesn't matter how good the components are if the bike doesn't feel good. Most models have different kits for the same frame so if you really like something chances are you can get a version with better components. You can also ride what comes with it until you get the money to upgrade. That's not the cheapest way to do things but most of us don't really have a choice.

The bottom line is slow down, keep your money in your pocket and ride, ride, ride before you buy.

#4 ·
If you want to drop down to a lower end bike, I think the Rockshox XC32 fork will be fine for your clydness. Reba will be lighter and plenty stiff, but the XC32 might be a little stiffer due to the steel stanchions and steerer tube. Whatever fork it is, make sure it has at least 32mm stanchions. Looking at the Trek Mamba, I think that would be an ok starter bike.

If you want to stick with the higher end XTC 2 or X-Cal, both would be great bikes. Looks like the Trek has longer top tubes than the Giant so you'll be a little more stretched out. Either the Marzocchi or Reba forks will work good for you.

#5 ·
Well between the two that you intend to test ride, I would give the nod to the Giant for the following reasons:
-Fork uses a tapered steerer and 15mm front axle, which will be WAY stiffer than the 1 1/8" steerer and 9mm quick release axle on the Trek

-The Giant rims are stout, maybe not the lightest but that's not what we're looking for here. They will be solid for a clyde.

-The Giant has better brakes and a larger front rotor, again a good upgrade for a larger rider.

Of course if you test ride them and like the Trek better, it's still a great bike but on paper the Giant looks to be the better suited for a large rider.

#6 ·
I have a similar problem, where do I start?

I'm also a big guy, 6' 3" 380 lbs, that hasn't ridden in a while. I want to get back into riding a bike, but I'm not sure where to start or what to do. My bike is a Miyata Valley Runner. I've had it for between 12 and 15 years. For the past bunch of years it's been hanging in the rafters of my garage. The last time I rode it I was probably 100 lbs lighter. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make this bike usable again? By usable I mean to be able to safely ride it? The frame is in good shape, never crashed. The rims look good. The tires are flat, but that's understandable. Any information you can offer I will greatly appreciate. If you want more information from me, let me know.

Thanks

#7 ·
I'm also a big guy, 6' 3" 380 lbs, that hasn't ridden in a while. I want to get back into riding a bike, but I'm not sure where to start or what to do. My bike is a Miyata Valley Runner. I've had it for between 12 and 15 years. For the past bunch of years it's been hanging in the rafters of my garage. The last time I rode it I was probably 100 lbs lighter. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make this bike usable again? By usable I mean to be able to safely ride it? The frame is in good shape, never crashed. The rims look good. The tires are flat, but that's understandable. Any information you can offer I will greatly appreciate. If you want more information from me, let me know.

Thanks
If it was me I would take it to your local bike shop and have them check it out. That's a long time and everything is going to have to be checked and a bunch of things probably replaced. It's important for the bike to be safe before you ride it and unless you really know what you are doing you're probably going to want to leave it to an expert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.