mtbr member
    May 2009

Which for first bike

I'm looking to purchase a first bike that will mainly will be used for trail riding on weekends. I am 6'2 290lbs. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I really want a single speed but I can get the Rockhopper cheaper than the Outcast. Which would be the smartest to purchase?

2006 Specialized Rockhopper($225) or a new Motobecane Outcast 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EZMachN
    I'm looking to purchase a first bike that will mainly will be used for trail riding on weekends. I am 6'2 290lbs. I have narrowed it down to 2 choices. I really want a single speed but I can get the Rockhopper cheaper than the Outcast. Which would be the smartest to purchase?

2006 Specialized Rockhopper($225) or a new Motobecane Outcast 29er
    I am assuming that the Rockhopper has a cheap suspension fork, if so avoid it like the plague. The Motobecane is at least a rigid so you will not need to deal with crappy suspension. So in that regard I'd go with the Motobecane, although an aluminum rigid bike doesn't sound nearly as fun as a steel frame.

If you are into the rigid single speed 29er thing you could go with something like a Redline Monocog 29er which will give you a much higher quality frame than the Motobecane for not much more $$.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    From what I've researched the RH comes with RockShox Tora 318 SL fork. I don't know if they are good or not. Monocog 29er is what I originally wanted but they are more than what I want to spend. I can also upgrade the Motobecane as time goes on and still be cheaper than the Monocog. I really want to jump in cheap as possible to make sure this is something I want to pursue first.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    How good a shape are you in? Where are you riding?
    It would be a bummer to get a single speed only to find out that it is too hard and not enjoyable.
    You could always leave the RH in one gear to see if you can hack it. It would be cheaper to convert the RH to single speed than to gear the other one.
    The Tora is a decent fork according to many here in the clyde section.

mtbr member
    From what I've researched the RH comes with RockShox Tora 318 SL fork. I don't know if they are good or not. Monocog 29er is what I originally wanted but they are more than what I want to spend. I can also upgrade the Motobecane as time goes on and still be cheaper than the Monocog. I really want to jump in cheap as possible to make sure this is something I want to pursue first.
    It looks like it is the coil version of the Tora, you are too heavy for their firmest spring. The price is pretty good though so you could try it out with the firmest coil and some heavy weight oil, it should not be too bad.

Nothing will turn you off to the sport quicker than having a bike that doesn't perform well. As bornhere has mentioned, if you live in a place with any significant climbing then the single speed may be difficult to deal with.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bornhere
    How good a shape are you in? Where are you riding?
    It would be a bummer to get a single speed only to find out that it is too hard and not enjoyable.
    You could always leave the RH in one gear to see if you can hack it. It would be cheaper to convert the RH to single speed than to gear the other one.
    The Tora is a decent fork according to many here in the clyde section.
    I think I'm in rather good shape, I work out 5days/week. As far as legs, I usually end legpresses at 1200lbx10reps. I weigh 290, but look <250. I am looking into biking as another way to do cardio that is more fun. I plan on riding local trails that are 2-9miles around the lake here. I will be riding in west Alabama. Thanks for all the information so far guys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have to agree with Big mtn biker. If you can get into a monocog in your price point that may be a good way to go. I just recently purchased a moto outcast and I really love it. The only thing however is that I have had to "upgrade" quite a few parts to make it the type of trail bike I was looking for. I switched out the seat post, stem, handlebars as well as front and rear gearing (now running 32x20). We have some serious climbing here in Missoula, Montana and the Outcast stock just did not cut it. At this point I really like where my bike is at but I know I will be changing out the hubs soon. If I break down what I've spent so far on upgrades I probably could have gone with the monocog. No big deal though because I figure I will have a great set of parts in the future so all I'll have to do is buy a new frame and forks and have a really killer set up. All in all the Outcast has been a good "platform" for learning the art of single speeding without totally breaking the bank.
    I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think I'm in rather good shape, I work out 5days/week. As far as legs, I usually end legpresses at 1200lbx10reps. I weigh 290, but look <250. I am looking into biking as another way to do cardio that is more fun. I plan on riding local trails that are 2-9miles around the lake here. I will be riding in west Alabama. Thanks for all the information so far guys.

If you are using it for cardio, thats another good reason to go geared. You can vary your workouts more with gears. Just like you don't lift the same weight all the time, or use just one machine at the gym.
    That may not be a fair comparison though.
    I am def. not an expert on the subject of single speeds or workouts. Just a few thoughts.