mtbr member
    May 2009

finally went on my first ride... past the liquor store

well i did it i finally got on my bike (08 hardrock comp disc) i have had for 3 weeks already and took a little ride as far as i could past the liquor store, that i usually stop at to get a Pepsi and a Choco Taco before i head back home... im 6' 280lbs and i hope that this wasnt just a fluke and i can do it again tommorow. i conquered all of 1.3 miles but my legs were jello and actually slipped off once due to that and i couldnt breath for 10 minutes after i got home but i did it and im proud..... 200 pounds here i come!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    oh i forgot to mention its a single speed.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    congratz... I need to kick off some of my food habits myself :-/... and ride more haha...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Q: How do you eat an elephant?

A: One bite at a time.

OK, not the best subject matter for the analogy

How about this one: Even an epic journey starts with a single step.

The best way to view this is not as a 'program', but as a wholesale lifestyle change. Nobody will give you free time to do it, you have to make the time and actually go. The best thing I can promise you is that 99.999999+% of the time, you will feel better for taking the time to go for a ride and the benefits do carry over into other aspects fo your life.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    How about this one: Even an epic journey starts with a single step.
    Or a Single-Speed.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well ive logged just over 6.5 miles in the last three days goin for a ride in the evenings. i have to admit breating is already a little easaier but my leg muscles get much much more tired way before the rest of me does.. i mean i feel the burn before my heart rate climbs im ready to quit (but i dont) before i break a sweat... ive never been this outta shape and tried to recover before. i hope it gets better. but i havent given up yet so im impressed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Keep it up! After a fifteen plus year layoff I started up again about two months ago. Butt sore, legs sore, feet, hands get numb, but I figure that's better than something finally popping.

mtbr member
    A single speed will make your legs tired until you build them up some. You could change our your cog for a slightly larger one if you find it hard to push the gear, then switch it back later if you feel the need. Do you plan on doing mostly road riding, or a little both? If you plan to stay on the road a lot get yourself some road specific tires, will make a big difference! Then if you want to hit the dirt just switch the tires back over.

Took my road bike out for a 17 mile road ride yesterday (58 minutes), first long ride I've done. Keep increasing your mileage once a week or so. Since my legs felt good at 17 miles, I'm going to do 23 mile next week. I like to use google earth and map out the roads and bring the map along with me.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    for mapping your trip www.mapmyride.com is hard to beat... it's got a nice little flollow the road function now (click on a point in the road then another and it'll find the shortest route, so if you want to roll specific roads you gota do it a little bit of road by road but still a lot better then it had been)... also can look at elevation change (it's rough but good estemates)

also allows you to log the ride... its powered by google earth (i think) so the sattilite images are just as good
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Thanks Donaldson, I seen there are several programs like that and wasn't sure which one is good. Google Earth is a little hard to adjust routes.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ya the mapmyride makes it pretty simple... there are a few others but I like and have stuck with it... also can search for other rides that people have posted in the area which is nice... gives you ideas on your rides
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    May 2009
    well im still on it.. 10.5 miles in 4 days is pretty good for a fat guy who hasnt done anything since high school (10 years ago ).. and i have to say the hardest thing for me at this point is getting off the couch... although this smoke today , from the LA fires is makin it a little harder to breath and see..

mtbr member
    good for you! keep it up. remember not to try to do way too much and burn yourself out. it's okay to push yourself- just know your limits. you'll be going 20+ miles in no time.

it's exciting to see people get back in shape through bike riding! congrats.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    May 2009
    to be honest i woulda never got into shape.. i dont really like gyms.. but a guy i work with recently got into mountain biking and he constantly brings in his reasonably trick Spec enduro and he let me ride it around a little and i liked it. he also recently built a sick felt downhill/AM, that a pretty cool bike also, so you might say its contagious.

Disgruntled Peccary
    It's all about finding something fun. Rock on!
    mike