mtbr member
    Apr 2009

A few random questions on Bike Part for Clydes

1. First and foremost is the Tora SL Soloair(2009model) the same model just renamed from the Tora 318 Soloair (2008model)

2. What are the best platform pedals( looking at the Veggie Burgers,but dont want to spend $120 on pedals, and DMR v8's) that are under $50 for a clyde

3. Good grips (thinking lizad skin or Ourys) and Seat Options(Heard good things from wtb series of saddles)

4. Anyone have any good reccommended ,Cheaper $70 or less, MTB shoes or just shoes that work well on good pedals

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWaffles
    2. What are the best platform pedals( looking at the Veggie Burgers,but dont want to spend $120 on pedals, and DMR v8's) that are under $50 for a clyde
    I've been riding a pair of Sun Ringle Zu/Zu platforms for almost 2 years. They've got replaceable pins, plenty wide enough for my 4E feet, and never bent under then 290s weight (260s now). Another plus is that they have sealed bearings unlike the V8's

Link to them on Jenson

Making fat cool since '71
    Not the same fork.
    "Best" is tough. I never liked the Primo pedals I used to have. I like the strenght/ease of service of my Shimano DX pedals. Liked the Azonics I had a few years ago.
    Oury Lock-on grips are far and away my faves...nothing even comes close for me. Sticky and decently large. My fave all-time seat: WTB Power V. I have two of those and one lower-end WTB V something (one with gel). Seats are personal...but WTB seems a reasonable place to start for many.
    The shoes I keep coming back to when I use flats (uncommon for me these days) are some DVS bmx shoes. Sort of stiff sole, tough as nails and grippy as hell. As much of an Adidas whore as I am...I've been underwhelmed by my experiences with their bmx shoes. Good old Chucks are popular around here (OR) for flats riding. I don't own any, but played around my place with a bud's 5.10s...nice and grippy. No clue on durability. He left them on the roof of his car after a ride soon after that...funny since they were not mine.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Former Bike Wrench
    1. First and foremost is the Tora SL Soloair(2009model) the same model just renamed from the Tora 318 Soloair (2008model)
    No, the Tora Race is the same model as the 2008 318 Solo Air...the SL lacks the motion control damper and has the cheaper Turn Key damper found in the Dart 3.

3. Good grips (thinking lizad skin or Ourys) and Seat Options(Heard good things from wtb series of saddles)
    Oury Grips are good for big hands, but I've switched to Ergon grips and once I dialed them in, they have been wonderful. They are expensive, but they work. Saddles are an individual thing, but WTB is a very popular brand as they seem to fit a lot of arses out there.

Underskilled

I was very impressed with the Tioga MX pro, but they are a pain to service and need bushings replaced evenry 6 months or so. I am going to buy the superstar pedals soon, rebranded kna JS.

Ergon, really really comfy.

4. Anyone have any good reccommended ,Cheaper $70 or less, MTB shoes or just shoes that work well on good pedals[/QUOTE]

I cannot stress this enough, there is only 1 brand of bike shoes there that are good.
    Only one company has the polymer tech to make a high grip sole. 5.10 is primarily a rock climbing shoe brand, and one of the best. They branched into bike shoes.
    These shoes grip almost as well as SPDs (I can pick up the back of my bike easily from just the pedals) but are MUCH safer and can be put on and off easily.

Buy 5.10 shoes and you will never go back.
    p.s. they are out of your budget, but not by much, save money elsewhere and get 5.10.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    oury grips are nice and cushy... for clamp ons I like my ODI rouge's)

for pedals/shoes... haven' you considered clipless?... if you are doing semi XC riding i would strongly encourage you to try em out... sure they can be intimidating... but no more so then having a meat tenderizer aimed at your shins (those "good" flat pedals can do a LOT more damage then what happens if you forget to unclip) with even mid level shoes you'll get a lot more power transfer and body english transfered to the bike... i love mine... and I ride low end nashbar pedals (and low end shimano before that)... i'm so impressed with the nashbars (which are old ritchey's/welgos) that i'm picking up another set for my other bike

good luck man
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    ok so here is the deal... Bought my bike saved some cash on it.

Still looking for pedals..

Saddle i think i am going to stick with the stock wtb for now....

Shoes i saw some 510's i think i may get for 75$ so not to bad

As for the Tora deal.... i have found out that the 318 SA is still there but its a trail fork where the TORA SL or Race ones are Xc forks and are all different. So i will look into the Race or the 318 ones now.