mtbr member
    Jan 2012

A few ? not answered by the search feature...

I have a few questions that I could not get a satisfactory answer by using the search option...so if I bother someone with a repetitive, beat a dead horse question I apologize....

My hopeful soon to be budget will be about 12-1500 tops... I was once upon a time a mtn biker in the 90s........

From umpteem threads and websites read I am narrowing in on a HT 29er for the majority of the riding I will be able to do... so this isnt meant to be a 26 v 29 thing....

My first question is..what is more important to the Clyde? (I am a moderate Clyde at 6'5 245)... what is more the more important issue...frame or components...this is why i ask...which is question #2....
    Locally (Bakersfield area) I have found a 2011 Trance X4 (fs 26, but im sure you knew that) for about 1250-1300 (from what i remember)..it felt nice..the frame looks bombproof BUT the components are alivio/deore..
    online I have seen the motobecane and sette 29ers for about the same or even a lil less with slx and/or xt components...I havent seen many if any stories about CLydes on these 2 particular brands...

also....should clydes avoid carbon or titantium? MB has some reasonalbly priced Ti 29ers...

again I apologize if these issuses have been beaten to death but I could not find any threads that answered this for me...thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude, you have nothing to appologize about. The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.And as for anyone who knocks tou for asking, remember...if it comes from nowhere, pay it no mind.
    Now, first let me ask.Are you willing to build your own bike? That way you learn and have fun at the same time.(in my opinion)
    Remember that most bikes are not factory spec'd for Clysdales(the Kona Hoss is or was I think).Stock bikes are pretty strong, but they have to be tweeked somewhat for a Clyde.Your wheels and frame have to be nice and strong.Look at your cash and try to figure how much you can "Clyde your Ride with it.Chime back in and let's hear your thoughts.
    Thiink Sun rhynolite rims & or Halo Freedom rims.(@ speedgoat.com)
    I been meaning to look at the newish Azonic Outlaw wheelset.keep in mind I've been away from MTB for a while(due to illness), and I'm just getting back. and if that beautiful ACCESS XCL 9r frame at performancebike.com...(currently $199.00 and is being closed out.....
    along with the 26 inch Access Comp frame at the same price drops down to $99.00 again,I'll be on it like a hungry monkey on a banana boat.(I already got the 2010 model(in my opinion the XCL9r is the best deal on a budget hardtail 29er frame i've ever seen & others no doubt agree.Check them out as well.(see if your size is available.the Access whole bikes are pretty nice too.The frame is better than the $199 price.
    well, the silence is broken, hope I helped,chime back in.
    ---zarr
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    I don't have any experience with the online brands, so I can't help you there. But as far as what is more important (frame vs. components), I think that one is clear -- the frame is the one thing about the bike you cannot change if it is insufficient for the job. Now, obviously, the components usually total more than the frame, but IMO, find a frame w/ reasonable components, ride it and figure out for yourself what works and what is inadequate.

Regarding clydes on bikes, my experience has been very positive, even on stock or mostly stock bikes. I've been as heavy as 265, and always ridden stock wheels and other components without any issues so far. On my last AM bike, an '04 Jamis XLT 2.0, I really put it through its paces from time to time, with many lift/shuttle days, 3+ foot drops, rocky Moab rides, and all of that. Now, it did have pretty good stock components (XT drivetrain, hubs, Sun rims, Manitou fork and shocks), but I didn't break anything due to my weight. My road bike has likewise held up under my weight for over 4k miles without any problems, again on all stock parts. I plan to take this same approach w/ my new Enduro, and so far don't expect any problems. At 245, you aren't that heavy; at high 200's or over 300#, I think different components may be necessary right out of the box. But IMO, at 250# or less, a decently spec'ed bike should work for you for most riding; at least, that is my experience (admittedly limited, since I haven't owned that many bikes).

One other caviat to the online vs. LBS issue. I did break the rear triangle on my XLT (not as much because of my weight, as it was a fairly common occurrence on that frame), and it was nice to be able to take it into a dealer and let them work it out for me, w/o any expense on my part. Considering as a clyde that you *may* be breaking things now and then, it is kinda nice to have that support of you need it.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm somewhat of a Clyde at 6'2" 230ish and I ride a 2011 trance XL with no problems or safety reservations
    But I would think any beefy modern frame should be fine because even tho you are tall you aren't super heavy

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    i wouldnt go with carbon or ti. maybe its because i tend to run into stuff, but i am just concerned about crash resistance.

(size) large member
    Background:
    I'm 6-5 and 250#. I am also re-entering riding after not riding seriously since our son was born 13 years ago.

Ignore price for a moment.

You will ride a bike you like. If you don't like it, you won't ride it. Doesn't matter what it's made of. If you ride it a lot you will lose weight.

What weight are you buying for? How long will you keep it? What's that worth?

The last new bike I bought was in 1990, a Merlin Ti mountain bike with XTR/XT components. The one previous to that was purchased in 1988, a handbuilt roadbike with Campagnolo components. I have both of those bikes still today. Their top (or near top) shelf components I dearly enjoy to this day (nothing spins like good Italian bearings). Amortizing the cost over the decades I've owned them makes them affordable.

My latest bike is a Santa Cruz Carbon Tallboy (XXL). I bought this 29er after researching this forum and online. I picked this frame size based on fit kit data I had, type of riding (XC) plus looking at Zinn's site (Lennard is tall also). Santa Cruz does not specify a maximum weight and lists setup info for up to 280#. The consensus indicated that the Santa Cruz design philosophy is light without sparing necessary strength. Their stuff does not appear to break under usual usage. The sheer number of positive reviews led me to this purchase decision.

For components, I went with XTR - 2 ring setup. Pedals well. Shifts great. The XTR disc brakes are stunning, comparing favorably with brakes on my dirtbike. I ran them moto-style (right front) for a while until I got used to riding. One day my lizard brain switched back to left hand dominant front braking (vs. clutch) as it remembered bicycling. As a result, I nearly ran wide through a fast turn - I changed them back to bike-style. I can now ride motorcycles and bicycles without thinking about what hand controls which brake.

Figure out what you intend to do with the bike and how long you intend to keep it. Buy what you want at the price point you can afford. Do the research. Ask questions.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm a Clydesdale and heavier than you at 6'4'' and 260lbs. I just ordered a 2012 Motobecane Fantom Pro DS. I too live in Bakersfield and when it arrives and it assembled you can look at and ride it.

I was looking at their 29ers but couldnt find any in stock with a large.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would greatly appreciate that...send me a msg when you get it!!!
    thanks fellow large human

Quote Originally Posted by Mds2004 View Post
    I'm a Clydesdale and heavier than you at 6'4'' and 260lbs. I just ordered a 2012 Motobecane Fantom Pro DS. I too live in Bakersfield and when it arrives and it assembled you can look at and ride it.

I was looking at their 29ers but couldnt find any in stock with a large.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For what it's worth, when I got my bike recently I was a tad over six feet and about 290 lbs. I purchased a Rockymountain Vertex 29er and with the exception of the tires I've been 100% happy with it. I'm down to 250 now and I still love my bike.

I went with Rockymountain because I work down the street from Jensen USA in Corona and they are RM dealers. The local service is great and the staff is very cool.
    Some days I want to kick my own A$$ twice.

I'm Slow
    I personally don't have any experience with Motobecane, but alot of people in my riding group have them. 2 personal friends have Motobecane both taller than 6' 3" easily 230+. They both have the Phantom 29er HT. They only had one problem, the frame looked as if a small bit of acid was dropped on it. It was not a crack. Weird yes, but it looks like a manufacturing defect. Since we can do out own work Bikes Direct sent out a new frame. we have maybe 10 people in the group that have Motobecanes, seems to be a good bike, I don't think you will regret it. And if you really want 29er and the LBS doesn't have, online is the way to go. You'll love the 29er at your height.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.