mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New question here. Female Clyde with Questions

I've spent the better part of my gloriously sunny afternoon stuck at this computer reading these very informative forums. Lots of info here and nice folks as well, good to see. Thanks for all the great reading.

Now on to the newbie rant of confusion:

My entire family is currently in the market for new bikes. My SO is pretty much all set (although I know as soon as I get a new bike he's going to be running out to upgrade something or other ). We also have twin boys that are due to turn 9 in June so we've had them both fit for 26" small-frame bikes (they're cursed with the tall gene as well) at our LBS so they'll be good to go as soon as we're ready to order (although I might post a question or two about their bikes in one of the other forums). The only thing we're really waiting on now is me. I've been to several LBS here, and I'm still a bit lost as to what would be a good choice for me to ride. I'm currently 5'10" @ 265#. I've lost a good 40# since February by taking up walking/hiking, but now I'm ready to kick it up a notch & hit the trails with the man...all the while dragging the kids along with us on occasion. I'm wanting to keep the cost for mine under $1000 and from what I've read, is the Kona Hoss the best choice or are there a few others I can look into? Also, if I need to go with the Hoss what specific upgrades would I need to have done to it? I'd appreciate any help you could toss my way.

I can break that

Upgrades?

Wait until it breaks.

I HIGHLY recommend buying your first bike used. More bang for your buck. Check the Classifieds, here, ebay, local paper.

Find out what you like and don't like. Make sure you're going to use it. How much unused sporting equipment do we all have in the garage or basement. If it is something you like and you contiune to ride, then save, Save & SAVE to buy the bike you want.

If you still buy new, wait until it breaks before you upgrade. Everybody has a different riding style and places stress on different parts of the bike. I go through rear wheels, for others it's the bottom bracket, for you it could be the fork. It's hard to tell.

Hope this helps.
    6'2" 260#

Your bike is incorrigible
    I love how these threads always start off like AA meetings: "Hi, my name is Bob. I'm 6'3" and weigh 320 pounds." Do we feel guilty or something?

Ok, now on to the bike bit. Your question poses two problems. One, you are a woman. Two, you are an Athena (the female version of a Clyde). You can get away with riding a man's bike, but it might not be the most comfortable or best handling solution. My GF bought a Specialized Hardrock women's version. Although it is really low end, there are certain advantages to it. It puts her forward, has a little bit better reach, has shorter cranks, etc. Hers was just over $300, and she got what she paid for. That's ok, since it was her first bike since childhood and she has a lot of learning to do. Having said that, I know that a lot of major companies are starting to jump on the female version band wagon. Specialized, Cannondale, Trek all have them. I would suggest looking around online to get an idea of what brands make women specific bikes, what they cost and what sort of components package they include. And if you think that sounds like a lot of work, there are about two hundred men's bikes for every woman's bike.

Also, I mentioned the Specialized because it is super burly with huge gussets all over the place. It makes the bike heavy, but then again, the Hoss is heavy as well (mine is about 31 pounds). They make different versions, too. Some are basic, and some have disc brakes and very nice components.

In the end, you are just going to have to try a dozen or so bikes before you settle on the best fit. Good luck!

I can break that
    [QUOTE=Guyechka]I love how these threads always start off like AA meetings: "Hi, my name is Bob. I'm 6'3" and weigh 320 pounds." Do we feel guilty or something? QUOTE]

Hi Bob!

I guess we could follow it up with...

It's been 12 weeks since my last fast food meal...

Gonna get better at this
    Apr 2004
    "I love how these threads always start off like AA meetings: "Hi, my name is Bob. I'm 6'3" and weigh 320 pounds." Do we feel guilty or something?"

That's kinda not a brilliant observation. I include my weight in the Clydesdale forum to give responders information that might alter their response. At 227# (oh mannn, I weighed myself this morning ... awful ... and, yes, that is an AA-like statement), I am not has heavy as someone weighing closer to 300#. So I might not need such a beefy component and can add component weight in my selection.

Koopa, you seem to indicate that you are tall, so your hands probably are not tiny. You might not need a woman-specific handlebar, therefore, or other parts meant for diminutive builds.

You still have womanly hip bones, though, and you probably want to pay attention to saddle width. I'm not suggesting big, cushy saddles that wimps gravitate towards. Instead, pay attention to where your "sit bones" would contact the saddle. I suspect the Woman-specific forum here would give you good information.

Also, be sensitive to how your feet contact the pedals. About a year ago I read that many women can be challenged regarding pedal contact because it can affect their knees. Most guys' legs come straight down from their pelvis, so the pedaling force goes through the center of the knee. Women, however, apply some side force to their knees because their legs come out of the pelvis at an angle (how's that for a scientific treatise!).

I hope you take this as a data point, not discouragement. I love to ride, and wish that everyone in the United States enjoyed it as much as I do.

I guess the best thing to remember regarding your knees is "spin to win." Actually, that applies to everyone. Chose the lowest gear that gets you the speed you want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    OK, well thank you for the replies. It's all a bit confusing as each person I've spoken with at the various LBS give me a different response. I'll most likely be sticking with a non-WSD bike as they have always seemed to be more comfy a ride for me, nonetheless it is nice to see more choices for women out there now. I have tested out several bikes over the past couple of months, and although I have liked a couple (the GF Cobia & X-Caliber and Trek 8000 come to mind first off), I wanted to get some addt'l advice as I'm still worried something might pop off when my large arse hits its first nice bump and I thought perhaps there should be specific parts to look out for. At least my road bike is still going strong, although I still give it a pretty easy life.

Anyhoo, thanks for the input.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

it's probably not worth mentioning...BUT

the AA analogy is suspect.

As a member of AA for 12 years, I can tell you that we "identify" when speaking to remind OURSELVES what we are...not to inform others.

Conversely, in this forum, many "identify" for the READER'S benefit...that is, to give more substantive info that might weigh (pun intended) the response.

It WAS a funny line, though, dan_tango!!!

Lacticacid head
    Hi I am clyde, and go 290.. with a goal of 250. ( was up to 340)

Now that that is out of the way, My 2 cents is based soly on my experience., I have ridden my 1985 Ritchey Steel at all my weight zones, and done fine, I also Ride a Full Suspension Gary Fisher Sugar Race that is built extremly light, Both bikes see constant use., Alot of the issues depend on riding style, trails, etc. I have cracked the swing arm on the fisher, which was replaced under lifetime warrenty, and I do feel some crank flex when i am out of the saddle, with the race light cranks, but my wheels stay true, my breaks do fine, etc. If you are just getting into the sport, the Kona is a great choice, as are many bikes in that range. Just go for fit and function. I doubt you will be doing Big Drops and hucking of the local ramps, but will be riding singletrack, and double track, and enjoying the trails... You may bend a saddle rail now and then, and may need to ask for heavy spring rates on the fork / Rear shock... but don't worry so much.. the bike will take the abuse you dish out.

It is not the bike, but who rides it.
    www.lacticacidheads.com
    drop in, spin a spell~
    happy trails~

Your bike is incorrigible

why do I even bother?

Do you see the icon? That means I was making a flippant, not-be-taken-seriously remark. Yes, I do fully understand why we put our weights in our responses. At the same time, this is a trend that is unique to the clyde forum. I was making an analogy, albeit a stupid one, merely because I believed it to be silly. No, there is nothing silly about AA, just as there is nothing silly about being overweight or having parts break because they were built for someone half your size. But I didn't expect to be jumped on because of one stupid remark that was not part of the actually post. And just so you know, I'm 6'2" and 235 pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Tripps
    Hi I am clyde, and go 290.. with a goal of 250. ( was up to 340)

Now that that is out of the way, My 2 cents is based soly on my experience., I have ridden my 1985 Ritchey Steel at all my weight zones, and done fine, I also Ride a Full Suspension Gary Fisher Sugar Race that is built extremly light, Both bikes see constant use., Alot of the issues depend on riding style, trails, etc. I have cracked the swing arm on the fisher, which was replaced under lifetime warrenty, and I do feel some crank flex when i am out of the saddle, with the race light cranks, but my wheels stay true, my breaks do fine, etc. If you are just getting into the sport, the Kona is a great choice, as are many bikes in that range. Just go for fit and function. I doubt you will be doing Big Drops and hucking of the local ramps, but will be riding singletrack, and double track, and enjoying the trails... You may bend a saddle rail now and then, and may need to ask for heavy spring rates on the fork / Rear shock... but don't worry so much.. the bike will take the abuse you dish out.

It is not the bike, but who rides it.
    Great. Thanks for the input, Capt. One of the LBS called me today and has a couple things for me to come test out tonight so hopefully I'll be able to grab something soon.

Team Chilidog!

I'm also an Athena..

Quote Originally Posted by koopa
    I've spent the better part of my gloriously sunny afternoon stuck at this computer reading these very informative forums. Lots of info here and nice folks as well, good to see. Thanks for all the great reading.
    Heh, I usually end up time here too I thought I was the only Athena in the house. Nice to see someone else.

Now on to the newbie rant of confusion:

My entire family is currently in the market for new bikes. My SO is pretty much all set (although I know as soon as I get a new bike he's going to be running out to upgrade something or other ). We also have twin boys that are due to turn 9 in June so we've had them both fit for 26" small-frame bikes (they're cursed with the tall gene as well) at our LBS so they'll be good to go as soon as we're ready to order (although I might post a question or two about their bikes in one of the other forums). The only thing we're really waiting on now is me. I've been to several LBS here, and I'm still a bit lost as to what would be a good choice for me to ride. I'm currently 5'10" @ 265#. I've lost a good 40# since February by taking up walking/hiking, but now I'm ready to kick it up a notch & hit the trails with the man...all the while dragging the kids along with us on occasion. I'm wanting to keep the cost for mine under $1000 and from what I've read, is the Kona Hoss the best choice or are there a few others I can look into? Also, if I need to go with the Hoss what specific upgrades would I need to have done to it? I'd appreciate any help you could toss my way.
    I'm 5'4" @ 189 (down a pound in the past couple of weeks). I've been riding Gary Fisher, Titus, and Ventana.

No matter what you buy, make sure you get fitted properly. Women's bikes tend to be made for lighter riders (the forks they put on these bike do in particular ), but I've found you need to find a bike with a slightly shorter top tube.

I've heard good things about Konas, but I don't ride one so I don't have the experience with 'em. There are two brands which I understand aren't good for Athena/Clydes: Treks (lots of broken frames posted here) and Santa Cruz Superlight (made for folks 140lbs or less according to Sant Cruz).

I've found Specialized fits me okay, but I just didn't like the way they ride. I'm really happy with my Ventana.

Anyway, I digress If you want, PM me.

mtbr member
    I thought I was the only Athena in the house. Nice to see someone else.

me too I am very new to this but, I am going to be making the big jump and I am tryin to narrow down the list at the bikes I am looking at.
    one of them being a 2002 ellsworth, the other a yeti 2002 asx

anyone have any thoughts for me I do appreciate any imput

I am 5'3 and well my weight is a closely garded secret I am shhhh (260 )I will be mainly on crosscountry rides mostly paved bike paths nothing major.

I thought the AA analagy was kinda funny made my day

Yes AA has helped many people and still does I also think that most in AA do have a sence of humor too I don't think they would mind

that being said I am really looking forward to riding, I am very confused with the hip bone thing, I am wondering if you must change seat as you loose weight ?

Thanks in advance for all replies. Happy riding
    looking to get to ride soon, first I must get some running shoes, and a helmit, and some gloves, oh yeah a bike too,

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    On the hip-bone thing... If you go to a specialized bicycle dealer, they'll probably have a body geometry gel pad that they will have you sit on. It will leave two indentations where your hip bones rest, and you'll then measure the width. A chart on the back will then tell you about how wide of a seat you'll need to be most comfortable...

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyMama
    I thought I was the only Athena in the house. Nice to see someone else.
    I'd like to see us get some love on the Stickies. This forum is called "Clydesdales," but it should give all three of us some love too..

How 'bout "Clydedales & Athenas" for the forum name so us big chicks know where to hang out too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes
    I'd like to see us get some love on the Stickies. This forum is called "Clydesdales," but it should give all three of us some love too..

How 'bout "Clydedales & Athenas" for the forum name so us big chicks know where to hang out too?
    sounds like fun

SPDu4ea thanks for the info I will do that
    looking to get to ride soon, first I must get some running shoes, and a helmit, and some gloves, oh yeah a bike too,

mtbr member
    Can u feel the love? Hell I do

mtbr member
    hello everyone

just a little update, I have decided on a bike frame thus far here it is

it is a turner rfx or six pack I am now going to call it "young buck"

that is until I find a better suitable name when I first ride it

my young buck will be getting to me at the end of june so now,

I am looking and researching about parts to put on him, so to speak lol

I heard that bikes speak to people and well this one spoke perfect $$$ for me

mtbr member

Nice!!!

That is a sweet frame!!! when you start to collect your components etc for YB post as you build!!