mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Fellow Clyde in trouble...Ever return stuff to an LBS that was installed?

Heres the deal I'm a big guy 6'3 310 lbs I know not many bikes or forks are made for me, thats fine but im just getting into this and had a limited budget. Anyhow my rig came with a ROCKSHOX JUDY TT fork i had the preload adjustment all the way maxxed and seemed to have some definate bounce when i got off the seat and started powering thru the trail. So I was told by a few people get extra frim springs to replace it! Sounds great 20 doller fix i went to a local guy and he said he would call me on the part cause everyone was out of these so he calle dme back and said that his warehouse reccomended a better part an upgrade. I took the bike in go tit installed and when it was given back he said what do you think? I said of what he put a "u turn" spring set on the bike and replaced my preload adjuster with a new one that says uturn on it. Now he said i have the next model up fork, technically. Ultimately thats great but it dosent seem to be any different than my last springs......did i get screwed? I eneded up paying twice as much for this part......

That was about 3 weeks ago or so and guess what the freakin thing is weaker than teh original, im thinking about callin what should i say? anyone have any experience?

Not because I'm fast.....
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, at your size, any low-end fork like that is not going to perform close to your expectations. Even though he may have sold you the next model upgrade, it's still a low end fork not made to handle your weight. I would expect a bike shop to take an honest and realistic approach to matching up rider's weight with the appropriate fork for the conditions he/she rides. It sounds like this is not the case with you from what you described. I would go back to the shop and tell them you are very disappointed with the fork and want your money back. Then go to another shop and let them recommend a different fork. Marzocchi's are good for heavier folk and offer much more performance. Also look at the Fox Vanilla You can get heavy duty springs too. Stay away from air-sprung forks at your weight. You will have to pay more for a better fork, but you will be much happier in the long run. Good luck!

The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, at your size, any low-end fork like that is not going to perform close to your expectations. Even though he may have sold you the next model upgrade, it's still a low end fork not made to handle your weight. I would expect a bike shop to take an honest and realistic approach to matching up rider's weight with the appropriate fork for the conditions he/she rides. It sounds like this is not the case with you from what you described. I would go back to the shop and tell them you are very disappointed with the fork and want your money back. Then go to another shop and let them recommend a different fork. Marzocchi's are good for heavier folk and offer much more performance. Also look at the Fox Vanilla You can get heavy duty springs too. Stay away from air-sprung forks at your weight. You will have to pay more for a better fork, but you will be much happier in the long run. Good luck!
    +1 HERE! I agree absolutely!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

Bike Geek

ok. try this

I have an 03 judy tt, i thought it was an 02/

I had the main coil replaced, and i put the stock spring and plastic spacer in the dummy side, i just dropped them in the side with no adjustment. I dont know if your shock is the same as they are different years, but you may want to try this if you still have the stock boinger.

On my bike, the shock feels a lot more firm now. It does weigh more, but I am over 200 and don't care. It is a cheap upgrade.