mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Fatty Wants To Fly

Hello fellow spoke beakers! This is my first post to this forum, and I have to say I am very relieved to find it. I am 6'3" #275 and ready to ride hard. I have owned some ok bikes in the past but they were primarily used for commuting (C'dale super V, GT hard tail, KHS Urban- Fixed gear=love single speed for commuting!) But nothing has inspired me to hit the kickers hard and take to the sky. I want the ability to climb some stuff, but more than anything this fatty wants to learn how to fly. To get an Idea of what type of rush Im into please watch some of the creeking videos I helped make this season - Flirting With Disaster - YouTube , Kayaking Roaring Brook Featuring Nay Aug Falls - YouTube . Notice how much longer I spend under water than my buddies after dropping off the waterfalls? = true Clydesdale. As you can see I spend most of my time practicing my on-water skills and I know little about the MTB world. (I am trying to change that)

So my question is this.. Are there any big hucksters out there? If so can you recommend a good suspension/ frame/ rim, set up? I am looking for a confidence inspiring full squish bike (5" or more inches of travel) that can handle my girth on the landings but still be able to make it up moderate hills (rode a Stump Jumper 29er and felt way to high in the air). I like to get good quality stuff that requires as little service as possible but I will probably end up buying used. Also I need to keep expense as far under $3K as possible.
    These are the models I am considering for the job:

banshee Scythe
    Turner 5spot
    Turner DHR
    Turner RFX
    Kona Coiler
    Kona Dawg
    Ventana La Bruja
    Ventana el Capitan
    Iron Horse Hollowpoint
    Iron horse 7point
    Marin Mountain Attack
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Giant NRS
    Intense Uzzi
    Specialized Camber Comp
    cannondale RZ 120
    Yeti SB66c
    Giant Trance X4

Titus Moto-Lite

Airborne Marauder

As you can see I am over whelmed with options. Can someone shed some light on any of these models for the type of riding I would like to do/ type of rider I am? Are there any bikes on this list that dont belong? Are there any affordable gems that Im forgetting? Should I be buying a full blown DH rig?? Mountain Creek in Vernon NJ will be my home park if this helps at all. I hate being a n00b!

mtbr member
    I would say you should be shopping for a solid all mountain type bike, a la the Specialized Enduro, Giant Reign, SC Nomad, etc. I ride a variety of stuff on my Enduro, including the occasional park day with 6 ft drops and 20 ft tables, and so far it is more than up to the task. I'm a bit over 250# geared up. One thing I like about it is it has sturdy parts where it matters -- I love the Fox 36 fork, the wide, thick DH bars, all of that. Geometry is a huge thing too, and a lot of the more aggressive AM bikes have slacker head tubes and such which really inspire confidence downhill or in the air.

I don't know all of the bikes on your list, but I'd say some of them are probably a lot lighter or less heavy duty than you'd want for aggressive riding. The Spesh Camber or Giant NRS aren't in the same class as the SB66 or the Uzzi, for example.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks TY, The enduro looks sick! I fell I have to do some more research but the AM bikes seem like the way to go for me.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Im 6'2" 330lbs., and swear by my Uzzi. I do a lot of the stuff you are wanting to, and the Uzzi keeps coming back for more. When your a big guy and want to jump, fork and shock become very important. You need to have a bike with a low leverage ratio. This means the stroke on the shock vs the rear wheel travel. Why this is important for clydes, is that its hard to get the correct sag for our weight. In order to get the correct sag you need the right springs (in coil shocks) or Psi (in air shocks). The lower the leverage ratio the easier it is to find springs (for coil shocks) and the right PSI (in air shocks without running over max psi) to support our weight when landing and so forth. Look for a bike with the longest shock stroke with the least amount of travel you want. The 2011 Uzzi has a 2.75" shock stroke for 7" of rear wheel travel making a leverage ratio of 2.58. I max most shocks out with what psi or spring they are able to take. The cane creek DB coil and air are clyde friendly and what I use on my Uzzi. I hope this helps out feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

mtbr member
    Check Transition Bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This is just my opinion, but if you plan on riding hard and jumping a lot, I think you may have a hard time doing a build at the budget you are aiming at. You'll probably have to go with something used which often times is a way better deal. A new, well built, burly AM frame will cost at least close to 2k or more on it's own and if you are really going to be jumping big jumps, I think you'll need pretty stout wheels and those aren't cheap either ($600-1000).

But yeah, like other guys said, look for AM bikes. I got a few pounds on you and I have a Knolly Chilcotin and a Niner WFO. I'm not hucking them off big drops, but I definitely ride them hard and they've served me well. They're built like tanks and both weigh in around 36lbs. And yeah, it's really important to look for suspension leverage ratios that work if your favor. There's a few discussions in this forum on that.

mtbr member

Fatty Wants To Fly

I had to make the same decision earlier this year. I had a XC bike for trails and a DH bike for Whistler but wanted a bike that could handle harder more technical trails than my XC bike but could still pedal up hill.

An all mountain bike was the perfect fit for me (6'1" and 300lbs). My short list was the: Specialized Enduro, Rocky Mountain Slayer, GT Force and the Devinci Dixon. After trying them out I picked the Dixon. The split pivot rear suspension is quite Clyde friendly. I generally set the rear shock to 275-280 psi for proper sag.

Good luck on your choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

El Mariachi > Enduro

Thanks for the good advice everyone, I have been steadily doing my homework...
    I got to do some riding on a Rocky Mtn Flat Line @ My local down hill park, I had a massive wreck on the second run- trying to clear a 6 foot table top... SO NOW IM THINKING... haha. I dont know what made me think that I could get back on a bike again after years and years of not riding and go right to clearing table tops. I did come extremely close to pulling the trigger on a 13' Enduro Evo, and had a great time riding lift assist. BUT,
    I would much rather have the skills (and the terrain) to use a bike like the Enduro to it's fullest potential, right out of the box. instead of beating a bike like that up while making rookie mistakes. Therefore I am going to say something that may or may not shock you..
    "I am going hard tail 29er!"
    After careful thought of what type of terrain is locally available, what type of riding I find to be the most fun, what will keep me coming back again and again, and what types of riding I want to eventually master, and my love for SS biking It makes sense for me to cut my teeth and hone my skills on a Salsa El Meriachi!.
    I can set it up with gears, get back into shape, and then start attacking the mtns with one gear. Practice descending like a champ, and then throw racks on it and do some bike packing. Once I have mastered the local terrain in SS mode I will feel much more confident about buying a different bike for a different niche.
    Are there any clydes out there that have some saddle time on the Mariachi2?
    - how does it hold up? The drop outs seem like they are the most clyde friendly design that allows for SS chain tensioning.

Thanks again everyone for the input and for helping me on my seemingly never ending search. Its been almost a year and think I might be ready. This website has been a great resource.

mtbr member
    I had an El Mariachi, last year before they changed the headtube to fit tapered forks, pretty much the only change I believe. Anyway, was a great bike just ...wasn't "fun". It was probably the best bike I have owned for XC, just going out and putting in miles. But where it lacked was the "playful" feeling of a 26"er. So ended up trading it for a Ventana FS (best Clyde friendly FS bike I've had), ended up selling that and going back to HT 26 with "stout" parts.
    So my ride now is a steel Cotic BFe with RS Pike (old version, would love a new one!), SLX cranks with Saint shifters and derailluers, Hope/DT wheels. Superb bike!

BTW, regarding my "____ bike I've ever had" comments...I'm pretty much a bike whore and have owned at least 50+ different bikes, maybe I'm more a semi long term bike tester
    Bikes=Sanity

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You hit the nail on the head DSFA, Its not a playful rig but it what it lacks in playfulness it makes up for in versatility.