mtbr member
    May 2013

Fatty McButterpants got a bike!

My name is Russ, and I weigh 270lbs right now, and I am making a number of life changes all at once.

I moved within my company to another position, and drove 20 hours from Seattle, WA to Westminster, CO to begin the new job.. Left my wife and son back in Seattle, as I could not break the lease. I am doing a roomshare here in CO for two months until the Seattle lease is up, then the family is moving here and we'll get an apartment.

I just purchased a 2011 Raleigh Talus 8.0 at a closeout sale for $450.00 + tax, and got a helmet, rack, odometer computer, head/tail lights, pump, under seat bag, flat repair kit, and 3 spare tubes @ 20% off, for a total out-the-door cost of around $711.00 dollars. Seemed like a very good bike for the money.

Tentative goal right now is to lose 20lbs before my wife and son get here to CO. I am combining the exercise with a change in diet as well. Cutting out soda altogether, water only for me..

I will post in the 2013 Weekly Weigh In thread on Sunday evening, as I think that would be a good day/time to post, as weekend "dalliances" with bad food will be most visible then.

I am not sure why I didn't do this before, as I lived in Florida for a number of years, with great weather. I do remember I used to love riding as a teen.

I think it may have been that this current job is the only stable 9-5 (actually, 7 to 3) job I have had in something like 8 years. Before this, I was either always travelling, or I was working a stationary job in a warzone with no ability to ride.

Anyways, hopefully I picked a good bike, (I am sure it won't take me long to figure it out..) and just thought I'd introduce myself!

Russ

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    good luck Russ.

I started Jan 1st at 265. Short rides had me gassed. Was taking 1-2 breaks every 4 miles. now 5 1/2 months later I am down to 208 and riding 16-20 miles with no breaks.

Change the diet, drink the water and ride the bike. It will happen.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, nicedart..

I just got back from my first ride... I put in 7 miles, and I did need to take a few breaks...

Heck, I am still working on using the gears correctly....

Russ

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PogueMahone View Post
    Thanks, nicedart..

I just got back from my first ride... I put in 7 miles, and I did need to take a few breaks...

Heck, I am still working on using the gears correctly....

Russ
    You just reminded me of when I first realized what gears I should be in when going up or down hills. At first I wasn't changing gears, but I am a gear swappin fool... lol

I change gears when I am on a flat surface.. If the legs feel a little fatigued I switch, and or if they feel too heavy I will switch, and then a few moments later switch back.

The weather is just starting to get good here, and I am trying to get back into this year. I believe yesterday was my first two day in a row ride.

mtbr member
    Youll feel the ride in the legs tomorrow. Keep at it man. The first step in changing your life is always the hardest

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How tall are you? Also, when are they coming to CO?

Don't use the scale as your guide. Use the mirror. Water weight, and the growth of your leg muscles = the scale not telling to whole story. Change you diet, and lifestyle. Don't rely on the scale. Dump the carbs, and eat lean meats and veggies. Diet is 80% of the problem.

Good luck man!

mtbr member
    I always say this to people i train . Dont remember were i picked this up from but rings true.
    You cant out train a bad diet.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    6 foot tall, they are coming sometime around the end of July....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Treyness View Post
    How tall are you? Also, when are they coming to CO?

Don't use the scale as your guide. Use the mirror. Water weight, and the growth of your leg muscles = the scale not telling to whole story. Change you diet, and lifestyle. Don't rely on the scale. Dump the carbs, and eat lean meats and veggies. Diet is 80% of the problem.

Good luck man!
    I sometime feel that mirrors are deceptive or my eye deceive me when I look in the mirror, but I get a swift kick in the ass if I use my camera phone and take a shelf photo. When I do that, it usually gives me the encouragement I need to keep going or start up that day.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Along with the new bike get a food tracking app for your phone (assuming you have a iphone/android/blackberry/ipod whatever like most people do these days). I'd recommend myfitnesspal, loseit, or the weight watchers one. Myfitnesspal is free, there's fees associated with WW and loseit, I feel they're easier/better but that's just my opinion.

They all work on the same premise, WW uses the points thing and the other two are actual calorie based, and fitnesspal and loseit can link to endomondo to automatically track and add your rides in.

I didn't actually start dropping until I started keeping tabs on what and how much I was eating. It's been an eye opener. Dropped around 15lbs in 3 weeks and haven't been hungry or starving myself.

I'm currently using the WW mostly as the wife uses it as well and keeps things simple, probably switch completely to loseit once I plateau with WW.