WWE Champion
    Oct 2005

Fatguy Fork Recommendation?

Hi everyone - it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted about replacing the fork on my bike. I'm down to 3 choices, and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

For background, I'm replacing the Suntour SR fork on my 02 Hardrock. It is the cheapest Hardrock they sold that year, with entry level components. Cantilever brakes make the new fork tricky to find. I am a Clyde rider, at 290lbs, but don't do any drops, just some XC and Street Riding. This mountain bike gets little "mountain" use. More tooling around the neighborhood stuff.

I have found some decent deals on RockShox

2007 Dart3 for $140
    2006 Tora318 Air for $250
    2007 Reba Race Air for $360

I'm having trouble justifying the Reba. It costs about what I paid for the Hardrock! But I could swing it if that's what it takes to hold me. I have my doubts that the Dart 3 will hold me for long. The Tora has some mixed reviews, but seem common on decent-spec new bikes. Any heavier riders have experience with these forks? I want to "set it and forget it" and just ride the bike.

I'm not enjoying bottoming out the Suntour riding down the street any more. I hate to throw away this bike and buy a new one - nothing wrong with it but the fork.

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    I love the Reba I got for my 29er.. I was kinda scared with it being all air (i'm about 270). But I love the thing. So if that Reba is anything like the 29er version, that'd be my choice.

anyone else smell that?
    i answered in the shocks forum.....for the $, i'd suggest the tora.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you're not riding your Hardrock offroad very much, why do you need a suspension fork?

I'd recommend getting a Surly Instigator fork. I weigh 300lbs; that's what I've got on my 26er.

It does its job well for $100.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    exactly, no need for a fork for riding as you have described

less cost, less hassle, and stronger, you win on three points