Thread: Fatboy Newbie!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fatboy Newbie!

Hey everyone, new to mtbr forums. I'm 6'-1" 295 lbs(and losing) guy who hopes to eventually be around 210 lbs, doing good so far, down from 340lbs in January. To be honest, I probably haven't ridden a bike for any extended period of time in about 20+/- years(I'm 32). I want to get into bike riding for my health and for the pure fun of it. I love the outdoors and regularly go offroading in my Jeep to places like Moab, Utah, Hot Springs, AR and North Alabama and would like to bring a bike along with me to hit up some trails. I would like to spend no more that $1000 on a complete bike, preferably something in the $500-600 range if possible. I want a bike that is easily upgradeable for later on and I want a good bike that will last me a while and can hold up to the pounding my fat ass will give it, LOL! I've been doing some research on the internet and like what I see from the Specialized and Kona bikes. The Kona Hoss actually sounds right up my alley, but it appears to have been discontinued(I'm sure I can still find a '09 model somewhere). I'm not opposed to a used bike either and have found several bikes for a reasonable price on Craigslist. For my size I have short legs and my inseam measures in at around 31". Using this measurement and a formula I got off a bike fit calculator website it says I need a 16" frame, this sounds kinda small, I was thinking an 18" at least. Thoughts? Also going by the information I just gave yall, what would be a good bike for me?

Thanks,
    Jeff

mtbr member
    Im a bit of a noob myself, but a 16" frame would be way too tiny for you IMO... I'd go for a 18-19" based on what your saying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey jpolk

I am 6'2" and 360. I have been riding a 19" KHS Alite 2000 with some upgrades. I switched brakes from Shimano (I pulled the lever off of piston on first ride trying to stop my weight) to Hayes (good power, solid build, but I felt like a lack of modulation and controll). Now have Elixir 5's and love them. Other main upgrade immediately was a front fork. Went to a factory custom Marzocchi 44tst2. They changed the internals for my weight. I run 110psi and no issues even jumping 4ft to flat. The shop that ordered mine got antoher at the same time... Carolina Fatz Carolina Fatz in Asheville, NC (828) 665-7744. I have been pretty happy with it.

I recently bought a Specialized Stumpy 29er HT - I love it but am going to have to do some serious upgrades on it. It is designed for light weight riders not a big boy riding aggressively. As soon as I sell my 26'er I will start fixing it up. Good luck and have fun!