mtbr member

Fat guy riding my first century

So I'm just wondering who's the biggest guy who's done a century on a roadbike. I just committed to the Hotter'N Hell endurance ride as a 6' 245lb guy. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this, kinda get some inspiration. I've never ridden that far, don't know quite what to expect. All I know is that I'm up for a big challenge in a month.

My Brain Hurts!
    I rode in my first century ride last month. I did not do the big loop though, I wussed out and did the 25k loop. I am riding in another Century Ride in September in Gladstone MI, but am unsure what route we will ride (group going up with the local bike shop)

Anyway, I did the last and am doing the next on my Giant Sedona. However, I am getting a Giant FCR 2. The FCR is a flat bar road bike. I am 5'11 and about 280 (still) and have no worries about that bike. Just watch the pot holes, bumps big cracks and railroad tracks and you should be fine.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    I am hoping to be in shape enough to do one or more next year. That is my goal. First thing I need to do is get a bike...lol...that should be happening next week though so let the training begin.

Are you gonna eat that?
    6'2" 270 here and I rode the Three Harbors Century a couple weekends ago, 105 miles and around 4500' of climbing.

Apart from the climb up and over Casitas Pass at the halfway point, it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, surprisingly my arse wasn't the sorest part of me, my feet were incredibly painful at the end though, poor blood flow in those shoes or something.
    Due to a lack of interest, tomorrow has been canceled

mtbr member
    With a ride like hotter'n hell or katy flatlands, the heat will get you well before the distance. I did a few centuries when I was fat, like 5'9'' 270+ with zero training (I was riding a couple times a week, but had never done more then 10 miles), the only hard ones were the hot ones.

Take lots of water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatarbhoy
    I have to ask for them to do a "Number two" on my head

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    The upside is you'll lose 20lb in one ride, water, fat and cooked brain mass (hanibal lecter style).
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I wanted to try the HTH ride in August as well. Know lots of people doing it.

I'm 6'6", 265, but don't have a roadie to try.

It's already been HTH here in Austin. 45+ days of 100+ heat. Who needs to drive to Witchita Falls?

I'd love to rent a roadie bike and do a century.

I did a fun build on www.wrenchscience.com and got a Colnago C50 to under 17 lbs!
    For a mere $7K! Lol!

A sub 20 lb bike is just comical to me.

My El Cap weights about 37-38 lbs, My Titus SuperMoto weighed 42lbs!

I would expect a roadie frame to buckle!

What roadie bikes/frames would hold up a lug like me?
    What do y'all ride?

mtbr member
    Road bike frames won't be so much the issue but more the wheel set and tires. The frames should be fine. I am 300 pounds and I am getting ready to buy a Specialized Allez and I have no worries about the frame and it is a 20 pound bike. It is aluminum too. I would not personally go with a carbon frame at my weight. A steel frame would also be any option but obviously heavier.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10", 256 lbs and I just converted from my '96 Cannondale F500 hardtail to a Trek 2.1 road bike. The first two weeks I road it, I had 2 flats (1 pinch and 1 drywall screw) and broke 2 spokes (1 small bump and 1 unknown) all in separate incidents. Maybe I'm just not used to trying to avoid bumps and holes so much . So for the century I rode last weekend, I rode a loaner wheel while the original is being shipped back under warranty. No issues with that wheel. I'm still getting used to the road bike (I rode this century 4 times on my mtn bike), but so far, I'm really liking the change...

mtbr member
    I have had my Allez a couple weeks now and no tire/wheel issues at 300 pounds. The only thing at this point is I am thinking that I like the road a little more than the trail.