mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fat Guy Pressures! Tyre and Forks

Hi, I am 6'4" and a bit and probably 17st.

What Tire pressure should I run at for 2.1" width on a mainly XC bike, I prefer them a little on the hard side.

Also same question for my 4" Fox Forx Float (100r).

Thanks.

29 some of the time...
    Okay, 6'3" and 240lb as well. For 2.1XC tires I usually run 40-50psi depending on the tire and the terrain. On rocky terrain I need to pump up to 50psi to avoid pinch flats.

On the fork, you are best to look to the manual on the fox website . At your weight 125psi is a good starting pressure. Adjust from there to get more/less sag.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    isn't 40 - 50PSI a little high?

Thanks

mtbr member
    I am almost the same weight and I keep my tires at there max which is 60psi, I could probably stand to drop some PSI.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Ow!
    Wow, and I thought I used high tire pressures!

It varies of course with what type of riding I do and the rim/tire combination. But for cross country type riding using tubes, I usually ran between 40-50 psi, usually 45 or more for most tires. Now that I use tubeless (UST or Stan's with UST and tube tires), I usually run 45 or less, sometimes below 40. For big bike riding, I usually run less than for the hardtail. I think in twenty years of riding, I have had 2 pinch flats.

The more I weigh (and I have weighed more), the higher the pressure needs to be. There is no way I could run less than 35 in any of my tubeless set ups, but those "smaller" boys certainly do.

And I am 6'3", 20 st (I think I will use stones from now on instead of pounds. It doesn't sound so much here in the US).

Just like for the tires, you need to play around with the fork pressure. AL29er gave you the starting advice. I only add to adjust over time to get the ride you want (not just key on sag--I don't have the recommended sag on my Reba, but it rides like I want).

mtbr member
    50psi is way too high for me. Maybe if I was on concrete/asphalt, but I never go over 42psi in the rear on the trail. I keep it at 32-35psi up front. This all depends on how wide of a tire I'm running. I actually like traction so I run my tires as low as possible without pinch flats, and I always check my pressure before every ride. With a wider tire in the rear I can get away with 37psi no problem.

My fork is at about 115psi, and I've never bottomed it out. I have a Float 120, and weigh 235lbs.