mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Fat guy new to bikes.

Back when I was younger, I rode BMX dirt. Then I was in a pretty bad car wreck and screwed my back and knees up. I ended up gaining nearly 100lbs. I am 6'1'' and 300lbs now. I really want to get back into riding, but I don't know of any bikes that are in my price range. I have up to $350 to spend, but I don't have a clue what to get. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well, the first question is what sort of riding do you want to do? Some might be content riding streets and paved paths--and you might find a decent, new hybrid type bike at that price point. But with your bmx background you might want the option to do some dirt riding. In which case, I think you'd need to look at used entry level MTBs. Maybe on craigslist or some sort of local bicycle website (where I live the sorba-org forums are a good place to pick up a used bike).

Making fat cool since '71
    Used...in that price range, used. As big of a PITA as craigslist can be...you can get some fair deals. If any of your buds ride, bribe them with chocolate chip cookies or bacon or whatever and bounce some used bikes off of them. Bikes depreciate worse than cars. Welcome back to the dirt, you'll dig it.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ive been in the dirt... Just with trucks(I would post pictures, but my post count is high enough). But as far as the type of riding, I want to be able to through the bike in the bed of the car and just hit a trail or just kind of go exploring. My real question is, can any bike support me? Or do I need a specialized bike?

Former Bike Wrench
    The only bikes new I could recommend at $350 is a Dawes Deadeye, Gravity G29, or Nashbar SS29er

All three are full rigid single speed bikes with very stout frames, forks, and wheels. You would fit a 19".

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So I need a 29er...I thought so.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_AZ View Post
    So I need a 29er...I thought so.
    Need...No
    Recommend...Yes

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I have been 299.9 (no *s*, that is what the scale read). Most bikes that aren't built to weight weenie spec will be fine, but you'll have to keep an eye on the wheels and that is much more so about the build quality than it is about whether or not the parts can take the 'load'.

And, if you have much more than flat land, I would recommend gears rather than SS unless you have a high degree of 'stick-to-itiveness'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but I'm interested in this as well. I'm 6'4 and 375lbs. I've been toying with the idea of getting a bike to do some riding during my lunch hour. I have about 100 acres of hilly terrain (nothing major) to ride on.

I'm also on a limited budget and everything I'm finding on craigslist is 1k or more for a "29er".

Anyway, thank you guys for your time.