mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Fat guy needs new forks

Im getting back into biking after a long time off (not by choice), and well I am fat now. I have an 04 giant nrs3 and I am looking for some new front shocks to take my weight. Im not looking to spend over 200.00 for them since I am not sure how biking will treat me this time around. I weight around 250lbs

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    look for a torra air should be in price range and holds me when i was at 280 thankfuly now 264.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    yeap! Tora air is a great option for larger folks. Honestly anything from Rockshox, Manituo, or Marzocchi that is air will be great for us clydes.

Don't worry about the air spring at all. I have been running them for well over 10 years now and have only ever had one fail, and that was after years of hard riding. Not only that but it was a really easy fix as well.

Is dang happy!
    Hucknroll has a 100mm Marzocchi DJ2 for under $100 with the coupon code. Mine came with a bunch of stickers.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Cool thanks guys, Ill look into them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Last year I bought a RockShox Tora 302(coil) for my Trek 8500 HT after I reccieved it as a warranty swap. A couple months later I put a RockShox Recon Silver (air) on my GF Cake FS. I bought what was the best deal for each at the time. The Bike Shop that did the frame warranty shop recommended the Recon, but I got a great deal on the Tora. I am very happy with both of them and I am about 290#.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by primestick View Post
    Im getting back into biking after a long time off (not by choice), and well I am fat now. I have an 04 giant nrs3 and I am looking for some new front shocks to take my weight. Im not looking to spend over 200.00 for them since I am not sure how biking will treat me this time around. I weight around 250lbs
    The Tora (now the XC32) does not come in an air model any more. However the Recon Silver Solo Air is pretty much the same thing. Performance has them on sale for $199 and are will be shipped on 1/23

Rock Shox Recon Silver Suspension Fork -- Performance Exclusive - Mountain Bike Suspension Forks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMasonJones View Post
    look for a torra air should be in price range and holds me when i was at 280 thankfuly now 264.
    ha! something like this is what ive been looking for......sub-200 bucks with testimonies to it handling heavy dudes.

p.s. im 285 and now im shopping for a tora air

local jackass
    Im. 280 and love my Recon
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Hucknroll has a 100mm Marzocchi DJ2 for under $100 with the coupon code. Mine came with a bunch of stickers.
    im curious about this one.......my dad is close to my weight and has a DJ2 on his bike....but he rides much less aggressivly than i do.....can i ask what you weigh and how you ride/how long youve ridden on this? the price is really tempting...

i was also looking at a manitou raidon, due to price, and being 'air"....but i dunno. there are a lot of different "air" technologies, or different ways the companies label thier air forks where i dont really know what im dealing with. i want to say my dads for is "air preload" but i dont know if that would be good enough

PS- i ride 'XC' i guess, but i ride pretty fast....dont really jump or do drops. its somewhat rocky here

PPS- i pretty much refuse to do business with performance bike, otherwise i would have a recon silver already

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ordered the DJ2 I hope to have them friday, and put on saturday!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BungSolo View Post
    im curious about this one.......my dad is close to my weight and has a DJ2 on his bike....but he rides much less aggressivly than i do.....can i ask what you weigh and how you ride/how long youve ridden on this? the price is really tempting...

i was also looking at a manitou raidon, due to price, and being 'air"....but i dunno. there are a lot of different "air" technologies, or different ways the companies label thier air forks where i dont really know what im dealing with. i want to say my dads for is "air preload" but i dont know if that would be good enough

PS- i ride 'XC' i guess, but i ride pretty fast....dont really jump or do drops. its somewhat rocky here

PPS- i pretty much refuse to do business with performance bike, otherwise i would have a recon silver already
    I have a DJ2 on my Specialized p1. Im 230 lbs 6'2 without gear, Ive only been riding it for a year but I have done a ton of FR with it, 15 ft gaps regularly and 5-8 foot drops. Rock solid fork, but i literally have broken both of my OE wheels. Waiting to get Sun Ringle MTXs

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by While At Rome View Post
    I have a DJ2 on my Specialized p1. Im 230 lbs 6'2 without gear, Ive only been riding it for a year but I have done a ton of FR with it, 15 ft gaps regularly and 5-8 foot drops. Rock solid fork, but i literally have broken both of my OE wheels. Waiting to get Sun Ringle MTXs
    well, im 6'4" 285.....but i would only be doing some......what to call it.....aggressive XC? no jumping or drops. so im guess it should work out ok for me

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Kona P2 29er ridgid fork

mtbr member
    I was wondering. I'm 6'4 and 260 and will be doing some all mountain riding. Lots of drops and maybe gonna give some light downhill this year. Looking for a knew fork, should I go air or coil spring? and is maintenance the same on both? If I got a coil spring would I be able to adjust it to my weight without buying a new spring?
    Last edited by Qubo_2408; 02-25-2012 at 12:22 AM.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Qubo_2408 View Post
    I was wondering. I'm 6'4 and 260 and will be doing some all mountain riding. Lots of drops and maybe gonna give some light downhill this year. Looking for a knew fork, should I go air or coil spring? and is maintenance the same on both? If I got a coil spring would I be able to adjust it to my weight without buying a new spring?
    An air spring is not a problem, but I would go with at least 32mm stanchions and a through axle of some sort (15mm or 20mm), 35mm or 36mm stanchions would be better for the riding you describe.

If you go with a new coil fork, you would need to get a new spring, and you'll need the heaviest offerings available. An air spring fork will handle you with no problem.

mtbr member
    need more advice