mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fat guy looking for a new bike!

I am not sure about anyone else on this form but I feel now-a-days bikes (along with most other things in life lol) are not designed for people that weight more then 180. I am a 22 year old college student that is 6'1 and 265lbs. I have played football through high school and even played a little in the Jr College. I have been biking passionately since i was 12, when after breaking 5 Wal-Mart bikes in less then a month, I headed to my local bike shop. I had saved up some money from my own lawn business and was able to buy a Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 4 full suspension. I have had that since 1999 and it seems the only thing left on it that is stock is the frame. After going off to college i found myself riding less due to location of my Jr college but now after moving to Miss State, I find myself wanting to ride again. Basically what I am trying to find out is what bikes would yall recommend. I have found with alot of bikes I ride, i find that i am apply more force to the bike then it can handle. I am considering possible a 29er. Any suggestions from my fellow big guys?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i am about your size. just shy of 6 foot, 255lbs and 24 years old and i just bought a jamis parker that was on sale at jenson and i am loving it! feels like it was built like a tank. air rear sock that is easily pumped up, and i just put the extra firm springs in the fork, but it was actually ride-able with the stock fork springs.
    Jamis parker 1
    K2 ZED 4.4
    trek TR40

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My LBS "Board Town Bikes" carries specialized bikes, I am mainly looking for a good trail bike that I can also use to commute to school but then on the weekends hit the local trails. When I was still playing football, I was leg pressing 1300lb and squatting almost 700. I find my self going trough gear systems like crazy! I have only owned one bike and I do not know anyone that has ever used a specialized bikes. Are they good bikes? boostedpgt whats your experiences with 29ers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm 6'4" and 310 lbs, I just built a 29er a year ago and have finally gotten it to a point that I don't break something every other ride. The bad part is that it costs money. I just have a hard tail. I bought the cheapest frame I could find and got a Performance Access 29er frame for a little over $100 bucks. I had a custom wheelset built for $400 which initially had a shimano XT rear hub. After breaking the freehub at least 6 times, I upgraded my rear wheel with a DT Swiss 440 FR hub. Downhill external bottom bracket crankset and Thomson seat post. I've probably got $1500 in my cheap hard tail.

If you ride a lot and you ride hard, stock wheels won't hold up. Neither will stock cranks or stock seat posts. It costs money to get beefy parts. I would recommend that you keep saving and look into building your own custom bike. Since I don't do any jumps or hucking, frames aren't an issue for me. Cheap frames are sometimes even better for big guys cause they are heavy and overbuilt. Look at all mountain or freeride grade parts. And if you want a 29er talk to mikesee about building a set of custom wheels (http://www.lacemine29.com/).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have never rode a 29er, just wont spend the extra money for one. but if you want strong, look at all mountain and dirt jumping bikes. sure they are heavy, but at least you wont break something every other ride.
    Jamis parker 1
    K2 ZED 4.4
    trek TR40

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch1413
    I'm 6'4" and 310 lbs, I just built a 29er a year ago and have finally gotten it to a point that I don't break something every other ride. The bad part is that it costs money. I just have a hard tail. I bought the cheapest frame I could find and got a Performance Access 29er frame for a little over $100 bucks. I had a custom wheelset built for $400 which initially had a shimano XT rear hub. After breaking the freehub at least 6 times, I upgraded my rear wheel with a DT Swiss 440 FR hub. Downhill external bottom bracket crankset and Thomson seat post. I've probably got $1500 in my cheap hard tail.

If you ride a lot and you ride hard, stock wheels won't hold up. Neither will stock cranks or stock seat posts. It costs money to get beefy parts. I would recommend that you keep saving and look into building your own custom bike. Since I don't do any jumps or hucking, frames aren't an issue for me. Cheap frames are sometimes even better for big guys cause they are heavy and overbuilt. Look at all mountain or freeride grade parts. And if you want a 29er talk to mikesee about building a set of custom wheels (http://www.lacemine29.com/).

good advice here, i would buy something cheap, and take it easy for a while, until you have the proper components, im still a noob but i found this the hard way, two weeks in, and i already have $300 into the bike after spending the initial $500, the cheaper components just don't hold up to big guys, let alone big guys riding hard, unfortunately this is a sport/hobby that costs money, be prepared to replace components if you're riding hard. you can spend $900 bucks on a stumpjumper, but even then, i think parts will be broken fairly often

local trails rider
    What kind of a budget do you have for the bike?

Tough bikes for trail use are possible but they are not cheap. You might not want to leave an expensive bike parked at school either... A "beater" for commuting and a different bike for trails is a good idea if you can make it.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am 6'-0 and weigh in at 385. I went a different route. I was at a local bike co-op charity organization and found a pretty cherry older Proflex 757 full suspension bike with Noleen shocks. I am very familiar with Noleen as I own a motorcycle suspension business.

The reason I went with an older bike was that I was able to buy a very high end bike, albit used and older, for $150. Not counting accessories that I would have put on any bike, here is what I have spent so far:

2x shock rebuild kits $32ea: $64
    Frame rebuild kit: $16 (all bushings and seals)
    Girvin fork rebuild kit: $16
    2 used shock springs from LBS: $10
    Riser handlebar from bike charity: $5
    New seat for my rather plump posterior: $50

Total, including bike price: $295

The entry level bikes I was looking at were all hovering around the $500 mark. None of them had a fork that would handle my weight, but the Proflex with upgraded springs and rebuilding the shocks worked perfectly.

Basically, what I am saying is this. You can buy a used very high end bike a few years old for less than what you are looking at new. Unless you go really old like mine, the shifters, cranksets, etc., will be a much higher quality than what you get on the entry bikes today. Mine came with XT components, which I am sure were fine for 1997, but are probably lacking today. But after lubing and adjusting, they shift when I ask them to so I have no desire to upgrade yet. (although I am being tempted to modifying the forks and frame for hydraulic disk brakes...)

Members who have read this thread: 0