mtbr member
    Dec 2009

fat boy challenge as motivation

I am just getting back on the bike after 2 years and way to many pound back on and i must admit that the fatboy challenge is a nice motivator for getting in more miles. I feel weak putting up my 10-20 mile rides but i try to post after each ride as incentive. I just hope some of the bigger numbers i see posted are multiple rides. Maybe i will be able to ride a nice century mtb ride by the end of the summer i did one before and it was a blast.

mtbr member
    Keep at it!
    10-20 miles is a decent ride depending on what you are riding

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by swopeti View Post
    I am just getting back on the bike after 2 years and way to many pound back on and i must admit that the fatboy challenge is a nice motivator for getting in more miles. I feel weak putting up my 10-20 mile rides but i try to post after each ride as incentive. I just hope some of the bigger numbers i see posted are multiple rides. Maybe i will be able to ride a nice century mtb ride by the end of the summer i did one before and it was a blast.
    What is the Fatboy Challenge? 10-20mi. sounds pretty good to me. I need some major motivation to get back on my bike consistently. The past few years I have gotten slacker about riding, I'll take my bike to work planning to ride afterwards and then talk myself out of riding on the way home, which really bothers me!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I started riding again last week...after a 25 year hiatus, I only put up 25 miles in 5 days. Doesn't bother me, I will lose the weight and get to the point where I am back to riding 20-30 miles per day. Everything takes time.

In about 30 minutes I am going to do my first 10 mile ride.

mtbr member
    The good thing about mountain biking is that it is good exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. I swear every winter I gain 15 lbs. I go to the gym, try to lose it but I cannot. Then when the weather gets nice I go riding and it comes off fairly fast. Helps to have lots of fun while you are doing it. Screw the treadmill!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    The good thing about mountain biking is that it is good exercise that doesn't feel like exercise. I swear every winter I gain 15 lbs. I go to the gym, try to lose it but I cannot. Then when the weather gets nice I go riding and it comes off fairly fast. Helps to have lots of fun while you are doing it. Screw the treadmill!
    This right here is the exact reason why I bought a mountain bike. I HATE running and finding time for the gym, therefore it is so easy to find excuses. The bike is fun and great exercise.