Lord Thunderbottom

Fat Bike or Gym Membership?

hey guys, I'm in Wisconsin and it's getting to that time of year where I'll eventually have to make a decision about my fittness plan

I'm 1/2 way to my goal of losing 55# and I might just make it before the snow comes but I'm not sure how I want to keep it off or continue losing weight over winter

So here's my dilemma, I really hate the idea of a gym, I have to pack a bag, drive across town and then hang out indoors

I sit in an office all day already, I LOVE the freedom of hitting the trails on my bike

I live on lake michigan, it's literally a block from my house, I could certainly make use of a fat bike on the frozen snow and ice that blows off the lake to the beach, I can even see taking some time to carve out a track of sorts as no other sane persons will be out on the beach

The cold isn't really an issue, I have all my gear, coveralls etc and I'm usually too warm when I go out to blow snow, I might have to buy a pair of goggles to keep my glasses from fogging up, no big deal

Anyone here on the "fatbike train" for winter?

@adelorenzo
    Haven't touched an indoor bike trainer in five years.

Former Bike Wrench
    Fat Bike...the gym is for sheep

(I live in the PNW and have no need for a Fat Bike...but I still want one)

AZ
    banned
    Fat bike FTW.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You might have better fitness going to the gym. The fatbike, however, is a lot of fun. It's hard to really get your heart rate up in the winter. You just kinda keep slogging along. With where you ride so close to you you might really enjoy it and have an easy time going for a ride, especially if you can keep it groomed. It's hard to ride on ungroomed areas. Last winter I rode my fat bike a bit (I commute every day already) and did P90X. I really liked doing some full body workouts. I burned my fat doing that then riding all summer. I might do Insanity this winter instead just because it's slightly less time commitment. I'm also upgrading to a Mukluk. Hopefully I'll ride it more this year than my old Pug last year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Go to a spin class or two before you decide... Sometimes there's eye candy that make the idea of a spin class so much more palatable... Also, hop on a spin bike w/o instructors and spin away. Trust me. You can completely crush yourself doing intervals on a spin bike. Lack of daylight, snow and cold are complete non factors or course!

My winter riding limitations are daylight driven much more than weather... I have great lights but am concerned about riding technical trails at night...

bikeboatbrewski
    Moonlander, done.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The gym is depressive. Keep it on the bike.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I can't see myself putting in the necessary effort in something like a spinning class, there's no hills to conquer etc for that immediate gratification, I really like covering physical ground

I'm thinking I'll buy a set of studded tires first ($1500) cheaper than a fat bike but less snow worthy, riding is riding, the fat bike would be fun but IDK if I can justify it for 3-4 months of the year

If I wuss out I'll be hitting the gym :\

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    I can't see myself putting in the necessary effort in something like a spinning class, there's no hills to conquer etc for that immediate gratification, I really like covering physical ground

I'm thinking I'll buy a set of studded tires first ($1500) cheaper than a fat bike but less snow worthy, riding is riding, the fat bike would be fun but IDK if I can justify it for 3-4 months of the year

If I wuss out I'll be hitting the gym :\
    Get a heart rate monitor... They do not lie! Putting numbers up on it and tracking them are part of the game for me. There's all different kinds of intervals you can do on a good spin bike w/o a class also!

The beauty of a spin bike/class is that it can become a routine. You can set up a routine that no one or thing can F&*k with. That's so key for long term progression IMHO.

Give a spin class a try once or twice BEFORE you rule it out. Some people may think is gay. Go to one. You get out what you put in. A good spin class WILL improve your cardio conditioning. I guarantee it! It WILL make your fitness for riding MUCH better.

It will not however, improve your technical skills. But being more fit will allow you to be ready to execute technical skill better by being at a lower weight and having the strength and endurance to be fresh while riding...

Lastly, my first time into the gym I felt like an alien invading a territory where I did not belong. It was uncomfortable because I didn't have a effin clue what to do, where to go and what was customary procedures. You'll quickly find out that everyone is there to get their workout done and isn't worried about you. If you don't know ask the staff. That's what they're there for...

Personal preferences clearly apply and YMMV... Good Luck!