mtbr member
    May 2013

Factory Production FS Carbon or Custom Ti Frame

I'm almost 6'7", 215#, with a 38" inseam. Looking for a high end FS, 29er, xc/trail, that is light and where I can ride it with the saddle and handlebars the same height. Can I realistically get an optimized fit into the current factory production carbon 29ers, such as trek 23" superfly 100, santa cruz tallboy xxl, moots mx divide, RM 999RSL xxl etc.? Or should I be looking to a custom ti frame, such as Zinn Terra 3.0 (which have no reviews that I have found on the web), or Funk La Ruta (talked with the owner, and he can customize the frame). My local dealer of trek and moots says he can make those bikes fit me (unfortunately, moots won't customize the mx divide o/t make it with a long head tube).
    So, the dilemma is, go with a tried and true off the shelf bike, but risk the fit issue, or get a custom with a perfect fit but maybe an average bike that costs bookoo bucks. Your insight would be appreciated.
    (Note: I posted this on the 29er forum, not knowing about this forum at the time.)
    Thanks.

Snapper
    youre weight isnt an issue so just your height. I am 6.5 and struggling witht he same issue as you. I havent sussed out the treks yet - could be good. Why dont you look into Ventana El Rey or XXL Turner. Santa Cruz TB XXL could work for you with setback post and 110mm stem. When you get that big the frames tend to be flexy so dont overlook alloy frames. I would not personally go Funk FS - I had a Black sheep ST which didnt work for me. If you were going a hardtail then I would differently say go custom - Blacksheep, Strong, English, Engin, etc and get exactly what you want - perfect fit.
    I would suggest that you go with a tried and true suspension design in a size that fits - FS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Zinn cycles are designed for the tall rider.