mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Extra wide bars?

What bars are you guys running?

I was looking at my hand placement on my last ride and realized that i tend to rest on the outside of my bars outer palm resting on my cane creek ergo bar ends and my fists in a slight forward sweep (index finger at bar pinky finger about a inch in front on the bar end). thinking it might be time for a wider bar but don't want to start hanging up on stuff as my trails have tight sections with lots of trees to catch up on.

Any recommendations?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    right now i'm rolling some 630mm risers with some mild sweep + upsweep my last bike I ran a 22-23" bar (old school stuff from mid 90's XC)... with my can creek ergo 2's i loved it... but i'm giving the wider bar (and lets be honest... these days 630 is fairly standard to narrow)...

when I swap sifters (waiting on some brake hose) I plan to spend some time on the titec H bar... bit wider with lots of sweep... haven't spent enough time off road with it still but I love it on road... so we'll see if it sticks
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Never enough time to ride
    I've been using bars from 27 to 28" for a while now. Current set up is 27" wide flat bar, 11 degree back sweep with Ergo 2's and I'm super comfy. Finishing up another bike and using the same bar uncut at 28" with no bar ends, will see how that works for me and post up later.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Swimming thru the Smog
    Apr 2011
    Deity Dirty 30s is what i run on my trail bike

I do what I want
    I run ODI Flight Control bars 750mm with 35mm Wingtips = 785mm wide (30.5"). I did try a set of 800mm (31.5") wide Gravity Lights on my old ride, cut them down to 30.5".

My opinion go wide, you can always cut them down if you dont like them.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    I am going to be buying some 3T Extendo bars. They have alloy and carbon versions that are fair priced. These bars have a 12 degree sweep, no rise but an eccentric 3mm change in them that can drastically affect grip location. I think these my put my hands at a more relaxed angle for more comfort on longer rides.

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    Funn Fatboy 750mm. The perfect bar for a Clyde. (pretty light too)