Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Exercise/weight loss advice needed

hey, guys. i'm 6'4 252 and started a workout program on 6/19 (i weighted 266 at that time). the program consists of weight training and cardio 5-6 times per week. i'm been sticking to the plan as well eating healthy, too- fruits, vegetables, lower fat options, proteinns (egg whites, chicken); staying away from juices- drink mostly water; however, had 3-4 beers two nights since 6/19.

anyway, my weight loss was 10 lbs the first week- i know, a lot and probably mostly water weight. then the second week i didn't lose any weight and the third week i lost 4 pounds. and i'm still at 252 and my fourth week is almost up. i think i'm doing pretty well, but just wondering if there's anything to do to increase weight loss. i am lifting weights a decent amount (3 times/week) and i'm feeling stronger and healthier- i know that's what matters, but i also have fat i can lose.

are my expectations to high? am i plateau'ing this quickly? i wonder if i'm not eating enough and my body is storing fat- i don't think so since i'm eating 3-4 meals a day and it's not like i'm going hungry- i know i should probably eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day.

i'm thinking i will juts continue what i'm doing and see where i'm at in a couple weeks.

let me know what you think.

thanks.
    ez

here's a recap of my weight:
    6/19: 266
    6/26: 256
    7/3: 256
    7/10: 252
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I lost about 30 lbs over about a year and a half by just riding, excercise and eating healthier (but not right). Then I just plateaued at 248 lbs. Started doing a lot of reading (check out www.johnstonefitness.com, the ab diet, and other posts on this site) and discovered the importance of calculating BMI and determining how many calories I needed to eat per day as well as the importance of eating 6 meals a day in lieu of 3. After I started implementing the 6 meals a day and counting my calories I started losing again and I think I am losing more inches than weight. Which is another point that I just remembered, don't worry so much about the weight loss (just try not to lose to much, see below), but pay attention to your body and be more concerned with losing FAT and not losing WEIGHT. I have lost 5" in my waist since January which is a great feeling.

In order to lose fat and not muscle (which would actually slow your metabolism down)Shoot to only loose 1-2lbs per week and then count your calories. For a 1 lb per week loss you need to have a calorie deficit of 3500 cal/week or 500 cal/day, for 2 lb per week loss you need to have a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day. Look on-line to figure out how to calculate your BMI/BMR and how to determine how many daily calories you need per day.

mtbr member
    thanks! i do understand BMI, but i am not counting calories right now. i guess it's just the laziness in me. i do agree that's when i'll really know what i'm putting into my body- i'll just have to find a good site that breaks down approximate calories in various items (where it's not on the box/container)- like chicken, fruit, veges, etc. also, my wife makes almost everything from scratch so that's good because we know exactly what goes into a meal and she can make it healthy.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I use fitday.com, it is not perfect but is easy enough and gets me in the ballpark there are several other free websites as well. A friend of mine uses an application on his iphone, I believe it is from the livestrong website.

Slowly shrinking
    Apr 2009

works for me

Quote Originally Posted by gasiorv
    I use fitday.com, it is not perfect but is easy enough and gets me in the ballpark there are several other free websites as well. A friend of mine uses an application on his iphone, I believe it is from the livestrong website.
    Not perfect (i live in the uk....so there are "issues" ).....but works for me as well.

I levelled out for a month or two.........fitness level was going up but weight stayed put, body fat went down and waist line with it. Still got about 30lbs to go.... but i will shed at about 1/2 to 1lb per week....no muscle loss.

I am trying a slightly lower carb input over the next month (reading up on what type of carbs etc.)
    The only problem is i have become a real food and fitness anorak .............

mtbr member
    Good job on your progress so far. It's really a lot about operating your body at a calorie deficit. For that you need to know what you are taking in vs. expending. Fitday.com is an excellent resource for that. As mentioned before knowing you BMI is just as important as well because as you loose weight your BMI will change and to keep the same calorie deficit you will need to take in less. Do this while eating 5-6 meals at the same time every day. The more lean meats, fish, nuts, fruits, and vegetables you eat the better. Drink plenty of water. Do you best to keep away from sugars, processed grains, and other ďemptyĒ foods that provide very little nutritional value. Play with types of foods and timing to see what works best for you and your body but this should help you in how you feel and your body composition goals.

I went from 255 to 225 in about 4 months simply by eating clean (Paleo Diet for Athletes), keeping track of calories in vs. calories out and exercise.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Drink plenty of water and make sure you don't short yourself on calories either.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Another forum member dog.gone I believe, dont shoot me if I'm wrong, recommended the Paleo diet to me when I was asking similar questions to you, trying to gauge my weight loss progress. He sent me a PM about it and I took it serious, did some canculations, and while it was compatible with my tastes (Eastern Europe & East Coast USA) I had a problem making it financially viable. There are no grains, cereals, potatoes, or other filling foods like pasta, rice, bread, nachos, tacos, and no-pizza kills etc.. Everyone's situation is different, but for me, I'm starting grad school at the end of august and just took out another $8500 loan. To cut out those "filler" foods would jump the price of food for me quite a bit. I have learned to subside 70% entirely on sandwiches with various nice lunch meats, cheeses, spreads and veggies form the market and euro delis. Cutting out bread would gouge me.

However, if you look at the Paleo diet, it does have several nice benefits. The food is basic, uncomplicated for your stomach to digest and your body to process into materials to patch yourself up with. But dont jump on the bandwagon just yet, do a Paleo Diet Wiki search in google, I read the whole thing, and theres some debate as to its benefits and effects. It may be for you, and I personaly do want to try it for at least a month to see the effects, but $ prohibits it.

Just wanted to give you a heads up.. several people on the clyde board go by this diet.

As for me, I'm gradually losing about 1-1.5 lb a week, I do spinning classes 3 days a week, and I try to ride the other 4 days on a 4/5 paved, 1/5 dirt paths by me, I usually average 14.5 miles each day I ride, give or take 1.5 depending on the day.

I took the recommendation of some other posters when I inquired of starting to eat breakfast again.. as I had stopped for 10 years about. I managed to buy Clif energy bars in bulk, and eat one each morning at work.. and even though thats an additional 330 calories per morning, I am losing weight *faster*... but I'm still at 1 bar-b-fast, and 2 real meals a day. I need to improve but theres major changes coming with grad school and I need to see how to work it around it before I set up a plan.

I started biking seriously in early June, I have so far lost 20 lbs. But I have also gained a lot of thigh, calf and ab muscle at the same time and I can really feel it. Check if you're not doing the same, gaining a lot of muscle at the same time. It looked to me like a plateau, until I took measure of how much bigger & tighter my thighs and calvs got.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    thanks, all! so far so good with sticking to my workout plan and eating healthier- you are right about being sure i know exactly what is going into my body. i think one of the most important parts is to be sure i'm active (which i am since i go to the gym often and stick to my workouts) and of course eat healthier- i didn't want too big of a change right away because in the past i got easily discouraged. now that i've been doing this for almost a month, i've created good habits- only water, no ice cream, etc- i was proud of myself because my wife bought ice cream for a party recently and i didn't go near it!

i do think if i stick to what i'm doing i will continue to lose weight and become healthier; however, it's just a little slower than expected, but healthier and better for me since i'll be able to keep the weight off. i'm going to check out the paleo diet- even if it's just to mix things up a bit. i'm not one to cut a type of food totally out of my diet- i'm big into being sure i have smaller portions. that's probably my biggest success so far- i can eat a crapload of food and pushing the plate away after a decent serving size was very satisfying to me.

i was also motivated to go on a bike ride over lunch yesterday- just a paved trail for about 40 minutes- that was a nice addition to my after work leg workout at the gym and softball that evening.

thanks, everyone- much appreciated!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    Another forum member dog.gone I believe, dont shoot me if I'm wrong, recommended the Paleo diet to me when I was asking similar questions to you, trying to gauge my weight loss progress. He sent me a PM about it and I took it serious,
    Red, That was me who sent you that . Don't worry I won't shoot you. Idaho> New York is a pretty far shot unless you are in Hollywood.

Paleo Diet is doing me well. I've lost 16lbs. in about 3 months. All body fat. My times on all my timed rides are down significantly and all my lifts are up! I have TONS of energy. It's a lot easier to follow than many would have you believe. The doubters are terrified to give up their precious grains. Which are really pretty useless sources of nutrition.

What type of lifting program are you following? It seems over the years as a trainer I have seen lots of people doing bodybuilding style programs. They aren't very effective. Basic compound lifts (squats, deadlift, bench press, barbell rows, military press) coupled with Olympic style lifts (Snatch, dumbbell snatch, clean & press, power cleans) will give you the most bang for the buck. Compound lifts build muscle, period. Olympic style lifts crank up your metabolism and develop the explosive strength needed for athletic performance. Yes, even on a bicycle.

Make sure you are getting some good healthy fat too. Body needs fat to burn fat. Avocado, salmon, walnuts, even saturated fat like real, un-hydrogenated lard.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    Red, That was me who sent you that . Don't worry I won't shoot you. Idaho> New York is a pretty far shot unless you are in Hollywood.
    Should I apologize to you or dog.gone

Either way. Yea, its hard to give up grains, but potatoes are my lifeblood. Since childhood I've eaten this Russian meal that involves ground beef patties with spices, leek, garlic and even bread in them, ground up and fried on a skillet till their sides are almost black.. and it goes with a plate-ful of fried potato scallops, fried till their nice a rosie and some stick together. It really is the best meal in the world, and just thinking of giving up its main component kills me! .. I'm also a huge fan of boiling potatoes, then chopping them up into pieces slightly bigger than dice, then tossing them on the skillet to become rosie and crunchy.. and they are.. so damn good. Toss in my love affair with the potato ladkas, and its just over man.. Ladkas are so tasty on their own when crunchy, and tasty after sitting in a fridge, and tasty if stuffed with spiced ground beef and tossed in pot and steamed! ... oh, and they must come with sour cream and chopped leaks in it.

And on top of that you want to ask me to live without my meticulously flavor-designed deli sandwiches! If I made you a sandwich with garlicky Russian bear sausage, fresh black bread, soft Gouda cheese, and fresh & crunchy refrigerated cucumber slices, you'd cry if someone asked you to give it up too! Get some Taramosalta acorn caviar spread on some puffy white bread, with a slice of smoked salmon.. and its devour-able heaven.

As you can see, I love my carbs, and when you kill the potato & sandwich, you kill me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by split.therapy
    What type of lifting program are you following? It seems over the years as a trainer I have seen lots of people doing bodybuilding style programs. They aren't very effective. Basic compound lifts (squats, deadlift, bench press, barbell rows, military press) coupled with Olympic style lifts (Snatch, dumbbell snatch, clean & press, power cleans) will give you the most bang for the buck. Compound lifts build muscle, period. Olympic style lifts crank up your metabolism and develop the explosive strength needed for athletic performance. Yes, even on a bicycle.
    i have a workout plan that looks like this- some cardio durations change here and there, but this is a good snapshot of the 4th week (current one) of my 8-week plan; you'll see some more cardio after weight training in other weeks (anywhere from a 10-min run to a 25-min run after lifting). This also isn't the only activity I get as I am going on bike rides and playing other various sports throughout the week (sometimes my bike rides take the place of the cardio planned for the day- sometimes they are in addition to what is planned):

F: 5-min run, Leg press, Squat, Leg extension, Leg curl, Calf raise, Sit-ups; followed by a 10-min run.
    Sa: 40-min run (or other cardio- usually run though)
    Su: 5-min run, Seated row, Lat pulldown, Bench press, Flys, Military press, Upright row, Pushdowns, Lying extension, Preacher curl, Dumbell curl; followed by a 10-min run
    M: 40-min run (or other cardio- usually run though)
    T: 5-min run, Leg press, Squat, Leg extension, Leg curl, Calf raise, Sit-ups.
    W: Rest
    Th: 45-min run
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Your workout looks good. Couple of suggestions:

1. Make sure it has some periodization to it. For example a simple periodized program 2 weeks of light weight 3-4 sets of 15-12 reps, 2 weeks of moderate weight 3-4 sets at 12-8 reps, 2 weeks of heavy weight 3-4 sets at 8-4 reps, then 1 week of extremely light weight 1-2 sets of 12-12 reps to deload and rest. Repeat and change up the exercises every 14 weeks (2 rotations) to keep things interesting and challenge your neurological system.

2. Instead of only doing 40-45 minutes of steady state cardio maybe mix in some high intensity interval work. For example 6 rounds of rotating between running Ĺ mile and then a bodyweight exercise like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups or dips. You will run 3 miles at a much higher intensity than if you were to run it straight though.

Itís definitely true that the Paleo Diet isnít cheap. My wife and I spend between$30 and $50 per week picking up fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. We try to stock up on things that store longer like nuts and dried fruits when they go on sale. (I think I have about 20lbs of chicken breasts in my freezer as we speak) In my opinion though the benefits far outweigh the costs. Tailored with a workout plan I had a decrease in bodyfat while an increase in lean muscle mass. My lifting numbers, speed, and endurance increased; while my recovery time went down. This means that I can workout sooner for greater gains and that they donít hinder the sporting activities that I do.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    johnstonefitness.com is a great place to read...

I had GREAT results using the diet info off JSF and the exercise program off bodyforlife.com

i've mantained 30lbs off for over a year now... need to get on the horse again though and start plugging away
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    Your workout looks good. Couple of suggestions:

1. Make sure it has some periodization to it. For example a simple periodized program 2 weeks of light weight 3-4 sets of 15-12 reps, 2 weeks of moderate weight 3-4 sets at 12-8 reps, 2 weeks of heavy weight 3-4 sets at 8-4 reps, then 1 week of extremely light weight 1-2 sets of 12-12 reps to deload and rest. Repeat and change up the exercises every 14 weeks (2 rotations) to keep things interesting and challenge your neurological system.

2. Instead of only doing 40-45 minutes of steady state cardio maybe mix in some high intensity interval work. For example 6 rounds of rotating between running Ĺ mile and then a bodyweight exercise like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups or dips. You will run 3 miles at a much higher intensity than if you were to run it straight though.

Itís definitely true that the Paleo Diet isnít cheap. My wife and I spend between$30 and $50 per week picking up fresh fruits, vegetables, and meats. We try to stock up on things that store longer like nuts and dried fruits when they go on sale. (I think I have about 20lbs of chicken breasts in my freezer as we speak) In my opinion though the benefits far outweigh the costs. Tailored with a workout plan I had a decrease in bodyfat while an increase in lean muscle mass. My lifting numbers, speed, and endurance increased; while my recovery time went down. This means that I can workout sooner for greater gains and that they donít hinder the sporting activities that I do.
    thanks for the tips, yeti! the plan does mix up the amount of reps- started out doing 15 reps and then goes down to 8 and then back up. i've been part of many lifting plans before and i've seen the best results with this one so far- muscles i see getting defined that haven't before.

good idea about the interval training- i do sprints in intervals, but never mixed in natural exercises like push-ups, etc. i'll start that soon- i guess anything that keeps my heart rate up is decent- that's the reason why i started running 5-min before lifting; that really got me going and made me get a good sweat in before my second exercise.

we're definitely used to spending a decent amount of cash on fresh fruits/veges and chicken at the store- luckily, one by my has incredibly low prices. i have a 2-year old at home and we're big into him eating very fresh and healthy foods. i don't know if i like the cutting out dairy part though. i know it's an area where you can cheat and have different types of dairy, but just want to be sure it's right for me. what dairy do you have?

thanks again, man!
    ez
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm no expert, but your routine looks more like it's geared for adding weight than losing it. I think a moderate diet and 5-6 long, slow-to-medium paced rides per week will help melt it off. I lost 34 lbs in 2- 2.5 months this way. Riding slowly is key. You want to keep your body in the zone in which it is burning fat (rather than glycogen???). Too fast and you'll move out of this zone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal
    I'm no expert, but your routine looks more like it's geared for adding weight than losing it. I think a moderate diet and 5-6 long, slow-to-medium paced rides per week will help melt it off. I lost 34 lbs in 2- 2.5 months this way. Riding slowly is key. You want to keep your body in the zone in which it is burning fat (rather than glycogen???). Too fast and you'll move out of this zone.
    thanks! i am making sure my heart rate is in my target area for fat burning- not too high or too low. so, my runs of 45 min have a heart rate of around 155; i'm not running at a very fast pace. this workout has provided me with more muscle mass which is good- that can be a reason why i'm not losing as much weight compared to getting in better shape.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmal
    If the body is operating at a calorie deficit then the only weight gain would come from increased muscle mass. Most people donít want to loose weight they want to loose bodyfat. Studyís show that high intensity interval training is up to 9 times more effective at burning bodyfat then steady state aerobic exercise.

http://www.studio4romtech.com/PDF%20...dian_Study.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    muscle is heavy.. i lost a total of about 7-10lbs and my family said i looked like i lost 25.. i was down about 2 full pants sizes and in drastically better shape. i really slacked off, put back on about 3lbs total and went up a full pants size! about 4% more body fat too, so like 8lbs of fat gain, but still just a 3lbs total body mass increase.

watch your body fat percentage instead.. high body fat is what causes health concerns and the flabby appearance. also forget about BMI, its just pure stupid. if i was at 10% body fat id be moderately overweight according to bmi. most ripped professional athletes are moderately overweight by BMI standards as well.

you gotta forget about the scale though.. the body fat ones are cheap now, its worth monitoring that percentage.. or get a belt with holes every 1/2 inch or so and keep track of which hole you use.

mtbr member
    i agree with BMI being crap- i'm obese now- makes me laugh as i don't consider a 38" waist as obese. i know it doesn't take into fact bone size and weight like that.

anyway, i do like the idea of watching my fat loss instead of weight loss- especially with body fat percentages. i definitely feel my clothes fitting looser so that's good. i'm going to keep on sticking to my workout plan, incorporate some interval training with my steady state cardio, and still watch what i eat to make sure it's not crazy with carbs and be sure i'm not out of control with portion size.

thanks for all the input!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    You are on the right track.

Below is a calculator for figuring out generally how many calories you use in a day:

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    So what is the most cost effective way to measure body fat percentage as you progress? I too had oddities with watching weight, as I packed on muscle, I had no idea why I was plateauing, but I wasnt, it was just the weight measurements. The only way I recognized my error is when I went to put shorts on and felt my thigh and calv muscles bulge and tighten like never before, and it hit me like a brick.

Is there a special scale or instrument out there to measure body fat percentage accurately?

mtbr member
    yeti, i mixed up my cardio last night with some intervals- didn't do bodyweight exercises in between, but did some high intensity sprints on the stairstepper and treadmill- go hard for 2 minutes hard and then 1-2 minutes walking briskly, etc- did it 20 min on the stairstepper and 20 on the tread. it was nice to mix it up and i felt great afterward. the next time, i'll go the 1/2 mile intervals and then mess around with other exercises in between. thanks again for the tip.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Red
    So what is the most cost effective way to measure body fat percentage as you progress? I too had oddities with watching weight, as I packed on muscle, I had no idea why I was plateauing, but I wasnt, it was just the weight measurements. The only way I recognized my error is when I went to put shorts on and felt my thigh and calv muscles bulge and tighten like never before, and it hit me like a brick.

Is there a special scale or instrument out there to measure body fat percentage accurately?
    A pair of Body Fat Calipers are pretty in expensive. Youse them and a fabric measureing tape to get measurements and put them into the formulas found here.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424
    A pair of Body Fat Calipers are pretty in expensive. Youse them and a fabric measureing tape to get measurements and put them into the formulas found here.
    Thank you. Purchased the same pair off amazon here for $7.84 after shipping.

I'm gonna give it a solid go, hope I dont screw up the measurements, I dont yet know how hard to press.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast