mtbr member
    Aug 2012

ever flex your wheels?

trying to figure out where this rubbing is coming from and its driving me freaking nuts. I notice it when I am going into turns pretty hard, when I get out of the seat and pedal hard... I have my lock out on most of the time when I am climbing... would my wheels be flexing and causing a rub?

I am 230 lbs... I ride a trek 8500, stock bontrager wheel in the back and a cheaper mavic in the front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My front wheel rubs the fork a little on hard corners. I've got tight spacing though with a reba fork and a 2.4 ardent on a 37mm wide rim.

Your wheel could definitely be flexing but there also may be adjustments you can make to keep it from rubbing. Are you front and rear wheels true? Are they centered in the fork, chainstay, seatstay? Are your wheels properly tensioned? Are your skewers tight and is the wheel fully seated in the dropouts? If you take your wheels out of the frame, are the shiny,bare aluminum spots where the tires have been rubbing the fork, chainstay, or seatstay?

mtbr member
    Yep, I can flex any suspension fork. 9mm QR front forks flex enough on 26" wheels to rub the tire on the fork, 20mm flex enough to rub the rotor on the brake if pads are spaced very tightly.

What are you hearing? And from where?

I am the Tin Man!
    Are you running disc or rim brakes? Rim brakes could be rubbing from wheel flex, disc brakes could be in need of re-centering/adjustment.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    it sounds like its coming from the fork and from the rear... like the chain stay area... I am running some nevegals 2.3 on the front and it does rub on my reba fork. But, thats not the same noise I am hearing... I am going to take the bike in and get it looked at, maybe I need to true my wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you have 9mm dropouts the rubbing is probably the rotor rubbing the pads because your hub is shifting or flexing in the dropouts. I had this issue until I got a 15mm front fork

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If your running 2.3s and going by the description of your wheels they are flexing. My front wheel used to flex wheen I would stand to climb, rocking the bike back and forth. The solution is buy better quality wheels set or run a smaller tire.

Oh Yeah Baby
    Ive had a similiar rubbing noise that I have tracked down to fork flex.

I hear on on my Reba locked out or not. I used to notice it running a Rampage 2.35. Switched to an Ardent 2.4 and in became more pronounced and more often.

I weigh in at 240lbs on Salsa Semi wheels.
    Misfit Psycles diSSent