mtbr member
    May 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm The Epic HardTail for Clydes

So I thought I would kick off this conversation in this forum as I donít see any threads similar.

I have a full suspension and an all mountain hard tail that I respect and enjoy to ride. Both are BURLY builds for a lad my size (275 Lbs.). They both play great roles in mountain biking in the hills, single track, rock gardens, jumps and definitely perform to my expectations. In short, theyíre stellar rides (Niner RIP9 & Kona Honzo).

The one trip in my head I have is the squish sometimes sucks the energy out of you climbing the hills and then my Kona Honzo is like a tank climbing the hills. Both bikes are great for many excursions but going uphill (long sessions) hella sucks!

I had this cool vibe thinking maybe consider a lighter weight HT (a 3rd bike why not). So just curious if any lads out there over 240 Lbs. have any HT builds focused more towards 23 Ė 25 Lbs. Any feedback in this thread would be awesome with pictures or build specs. My trip is rims because when you are a big boy you need those mighty strong wheels to support the weight.

One last pieceÖany of you ride a light HT with a rigid fork? I was pondering that today but dang if youíre out in the trails with rock gardens or technical spots Iím thinking that must work you but maybe tough it out and enjoy the ride?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Among many things, the one thing I find most unsuitable about getting a bike down that low in weight (and me being a clyde) is that it usually involves a compromise in tires. I don't need big burly tires, but weight weenie tires just don't cut it for me. I need some tread that will brake well enough to actually stop me when I apply the brakes, and enough volume to rode across sand and mellow out the ride a little.

Weight weenie arse hatchet saddles, spindly spokes, lightweight skinny rims, super light weight cassettes, titanium chainrings, and 160mm rotors are all sources of lightweight irritation for me. I'd rather pedal around with a few more pounds. I also like a dropper seatpost. So that generally puts me into the 27 lb to 28 lb range. Frames that are so anorexic that the bottom bracket sways like it's a wet dish towel are also off my list.

YMMV

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I should have shared that I'm not truly focused on being a weight weenie rather shedding off some weight to help climb up the hills. That would be my vision. So maybe 26 - 27 Lbs. might be the happy medium.

I don't mind burly tires myself and prefer good grip for the specific ride conditions and so agree to having the right tread.

It's not that I need all the high end lightest materials for components but middle of the road from the high end. I'm a fan of steel frames and more on the XT components vs. carbon but I won't rule out other options. I'm a fan of aluminum and steel frames and curious how other lads have their builds with a little less weight vs. 30+ Lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have a Turner Sultan in XXL that weighs in at 30lbs ready to ride. It wasn't built for lightness and I weigh 250. A lighter HT isn't hard, even for a big guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a Lynskey M290 xl, it is a titanium bike built for Clyde's. the 2 inch hydro-formed downtube and hydro-formed top tube make for stiff yet forgiving ride. It weighs in at 27lbs with an xt setup, fulcrum xl red wheels and a white brothers loop. I weigh in at 260lbs with gear.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    That Sultan ride looks like a nice bike to possess! I was not familiar with the make so I saw their products on-line and I'm sure you are quite content with that ride.

Yeah, it's not that hard to define the components to lighten up a HT but I was just curious what other folks have as a HT close to my body weight that works well for them but not like purely a feather light bike nor a heavy bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    @dcarterdman

Right on thanks for the feedback! I'm guessing you are very content with the Lynskey M290 so I'll have to explore that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Actually as much as I love the bike my back doesn't so I may have to sell the frame if you are interested. It is only 4 months old

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dcarterdman View Post
    Actually as much as I love the bike my back doesn't so I may have to sell the frame if you are interested. It is only 4 months old
    Size L is going to my consideration (I'm borderline with L and XL but I prefer size L) and I would pursue the opportunity if XL was the size of choice

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    25 inch top tube and 33 inch stand over height. With a 90mm stem it is a quick handling bike. I would do $1300 with gold ck headset

mtbr member
    I am 270 at 6'7" and my rig is a hard tail, never really considered something lighter. My trailer comes in at around 90 pounds and my rig loaded down comes in at around 100 pounds.

I have been shopping for something more beefy, heavier and able to carry much more weight. Living off my rig since 2004 I have kind of started running into issues with a lack of space.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but shaving a few lbs off your bike ain't gonna do much. Maybe the climbing difficulty is in the bike geometry or figment issues.

Canfield and banshee both make burly hard tails. Don't waste money on lightweight, waste money on long-term.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Slightly lighter myself (230-ish), but on a Rigid bike. Converted a Trek 4500 to a 96er.
    Worked out well. Didn't skimp on the rims (MTX33/Velocity P35) and tires (both 2.4).
    Put some carbon parts on as well (handlebar, seatpost), bike weight around 26 now.
    I think what helps in the climbing section is the weight on the front, or lack thereoff, just enough to keep the front from lifting easily.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble dude, but shaving a few lbs off your bike ain't gonna do much. Maybe the climbing difficulty is in the bike geometry or figment issues.

Canfield and banshee both make burly hard tails. Don't waste money on lightweight, waste money on long-term.
    Not bursting my bubble at all. I appreciate constructive critism and have respect with feedback from the MTBR forum. It's not like I have to absolutely have a light bike but was curious what others out there own. There's no doubt I need to push myself and I definitely want to climb the hills more with my new Kona Honzo. I've been seriously challenged to climb with my new Honzo HT vs. the RIP9 so was not too sure if it's weight of the bike or my fitting on the bike. Having a 3rd bike might not be the solution but trying to explore more. The Honzo definitely has a short stem (60mm) and my RIP9 has a (100mm) so maybe that's going to give me some leverage to climb (not sure) should I consider a longer stem. Yeah Canfield and Banshee are burly and I can say my Honzo is pretty burly as well. So maybe if I do a few simple (not too aggressive) upgrades on the Honzo ride that may solve my problem. It's all good as I appreciate getting others to share what they have as rides and their expert knowledge and for some reason I would dig to own a titanium bike in the future but its definitely not priority at this time.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    Slightly lighter myself (230-ish), but on a Rigid bike. Converted a Trek 4500 to a 96er.
    Worked out well. Didn't skimp on the rims (MTX33/Velocity P35) and tires (both 2.4).
    Put some carbon parts on as well (handlebar, seatpost), bike weight around 26 now.
    I think what helps in the climbing section is the weight on the front, or lack thereoff, just enough to keep the front from lifting easily.
    Wow, what an interesting concept with a 29" front and 26" rear! Would have never imagined that but I'm sure it works out well. I was thinking about the Ti 420 but not ready to make any decisions at this time.

Yeah something about having the burly wheels just work for me so I'm sure you are content with the wheels. Thanks for the input as maybe some lighter bars vs. my stock bars could benefit in lighter weight towards the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    When you mount a longer stem, you will be achieving the opposite, shifting your weight forward instead of back.
    Maybe somehow lifting your bars will help

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-S7562 met Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29er Kid View Post
    Not bursting my bubble at all. I appreciate constructive critism and have respect with feedback from the MTBR forum. It's not like I have to absolutely have a light bike but was curious what others out there own. There's no doubt I need to push myself and I definitely want to climb the hills more with my new Kona Honzo. I've been seriously challenged to climb with my new Honzo HT vs. the RIP9 so was not too sure if it's weight of the bike or my fitting on the bike. Having a 3rd bike might not be the solution but trying to explore more. The Honzo definitely has a short stem (60mm) and my RIP9 has a (100mm) so maybe that's going to give me some leverage to climb (not sure) should I consider a longer stem. Yeah Canfield and Banshee are burly and I can say my Honzo is pretty burly as well. So maybe if I do a few simple (not too aggressive) upgrades on the Honzo ride that may solve my problem. It's all good as I appreciate getting others to share what they have as rides and their expert knowledge and for some reason I would dig to own a titanium bike in the future but its definitely not priority at this time.
    Treat it like a leg work out in the gym, a good leg work will make you vomit. Just push harder and harder, if another rider has something to say then you know where to aim and you will be one of the few lucky ones that had fun whilst vomiting.

But seriously, get your rig to your comfort level and then just push your self more each time. Hell go take a long trip through the bush with it and ride for 12 a day. It is better to learn about your body and what you can do with little than about new products. Besides, I do not know about you but the less I spend and harder I play the more fun I have.

Best of luck out there.
    De oppresso liber

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leech73 View Post
    When you mount a longer stem, you will be achieving the opposite, shifting your weight forward instead of back.
    Maybe somehow lifting your bars will help

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-S7562 met Tapatalk 4

Thanks I'll see if I can raise my bars. I noticed that my RIP9 is about 1 inch higher so that might give me some relief.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Treat it like a leg work out in the gym, a good leg work will make you vomit. Just push harder and harder, if another rider has something to say then you know where to aim and you will be one of the few lucky ones that had fun whilst vomiting.

But seriously, get your rig to your comfort level and then just push your self more each time. Hell go take a long trip through the bush with it and ride for 12 a day. It is better to learn about your body and what you can do with little than about new products. Besides, I do not know about you but the less I spend and harder I play the more fun I have.

Best of luck out there.
    Yep, your feedback is good and to the point.

The fitting appears to leave room for opportunity so I that is my next priority to close out.

Yeah, it's time for me to commit and do the vomit program with my ride uphill and define my goals in climbing. My RIP9 I think was just dialed in for me so now I will try to mirror that on my Honzo and see how that improves my riding experience. The next step is creating the game plan in how to improve my skills climbing again on my HT. It's work but I recall in the past how rewarding it is to climb and set goals so I appreciate the different angle you are suggesting!