Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Embarassed and frustrated

I signed up here a few months ago, but I wanted to give my formal Clyde introduction.

I finally stepped on a scale today and what I saw shocked the hell out of me. I am now at my highest weight of my life, by a good 25 lbs. I've been on a rollercoaster since early highschool, but I keep creeping back up to 310. Today I saw 334 and I'm just devastated. I knew I was getting heavier, and I knew I was probably the heaviest I have ever been, but not by that much. Keep in mind I am 5'7".

Last night I just bought a used mountain bike, I had been into biking in college and really enjoyed it, and at that time I had lost 60 lbs riding and dieting.

I am motivated to get moving here, I have a plan to commute to work 10 miles each way, I just need to get over a few hurdles to get things moving. The Dart2 shock was fully compressed any time I sat on the bike, this is embarassing for me as the cheaper Raleigh with suntour? shock always held my weight. Will the heaviest spring kit from Rock Shox be enough or do I need to have a professional build me a suspension fork? Would I be better off trail riding with a rigid fork at this size?

I also need to give my diet some focus as my work life and home life have been very sedentary, especially over the winter months. I am trying to stop drinking soda altogether and I need to cut out the regular chicken wings for lunch every week. I have started bringing baby carrots and celery with individual packs of peanut butter for work snacks. I guess I know what I need to do for my diet, its just the motivation and the ease of fast food that have been holding me up.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I would search for a reasonably priced air spring fork. Something like this will work for you:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-S...item1c19447754

You will likely overwhelm a coil spring fork even with a firmer spring, but once you get a ways under 300lbs, a coil spring fork might work OK.

It's hard work, but can be done. Good luck.

AZ
    banned
    Keep it simple, go with a rigid fork, its cheaper too. FWIW, I'd lose the P.B., its loaded with fat and sugar. Anything you can do to eliminate sugar intake.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    i had that same shock when i saw the scale read 305lbs a few years ago. my wife and i did weight watchers ( i was skeptical at first but it flat out works) and i lost 30lbs in about 40days. that was almost 2yrs ago and ive only gained back 10lbs of it. but i'm in the same boat as you, i need to get back into riding, it'll help me a lot in the long run. now if only that damn tax return would show up so i can buy a bike.

good luck!
    Diamondback Assault dirt jumper, hayes, shimano, saint, etc...
    Trailhound Smokers, competition BBQ team.

mtbr member
    OP, I am at the beginning of a long journey myself. I am spending a lot of $ with a personal trainer and seeing great results. I have lost significant weight before, but always put it back plus some. This time is different for me. Different place in life, so I've made the tough changes and have been working my ass off. I'd be happy to tell you what I've done and am doing if you're interested. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Go lo carb... Eliminate starch and sugar. Beware of low fat diets. Pasta is low fat but will put weight on you like crazy. Don't take my word for it, research it yourself.

Diet and exercise together is the only way for sustained weight loss. There are no short cuts. You gotta change your whole lifestyle. Don't focus on a target weight, focus on being healthier, fitter, and more active. Remember, this is for life, not just to get you to a target weight. Find activities you like to do, rather than just for exercise.

Baby steps. Start off slow and easy on the bike. If you overdo it now, before your muscles and joints are used it, you will injure yourself, and that will just delay your exercise and weight loss regime.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 03-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My wife brought home a book called The Belly Fat Diet from Costco about a year ago. The abridged version is keeping your sugar intake under 15 grams a day (crazy how much stuff has sugar once you start looking!) and complex carbs only to 120 grams or less. I went from 320 pounds to my current 235. I also counted my calories pretty close for the first 7 - 8 months. Now I have a good understanding of what I'm eating verses burning so I've stopped counting. I ride 4 to 5 days a week now and am loving it. Going to push for another 15 to 20 pounds and see how I feel. Have to find a weight that feels right and ist crazy hard to maintain.

Just find something that works for you and stick with it! The pounds will start coming off I promise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Get these apps

Been where you are and then some. Try the app called loseit to track every item you eat and to track your exercise. Also try couch to 5k on your non-biking days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Get the "South Beach Diet" book and follow the plan...it really works. I'm at -26 lb in 5weeks. Nice thing is I'm never hungry and don't have to count anything. Just eat what's on the "good" list and good things happen.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Unless your commute is through trails I'm also with getting a rigid fork. Bike will pedal easier on the road, a thicker tire can add enough cushion and you'll dump a couple pounds off the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Loseit on my iPhone is exactly how I tracked my calories. It rocks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86
    Dailyburn user here, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. You can loose weight eating just snickers bars if you keep it in a calorie deficit....best to keepmit high protein/ low carb though to help preserve as much muscle as possible.

mtbr member
    Understand the scale shock. Kudos for taking this bull by the horns.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Not to be rude to the previous posters but don't go on one of the fad diets like South Beach, Adkins, etc. Yes, they do work but they are only temporary solutions and you will eventually gain most, if not all, of your weight back. Think about it this way, are you planning on eating the South Beach diet for the rest of you life? I doubt it. More than likely you'll stick to the diet and lose the weight you want only to quit the diet and go back to your previous eating habits. Why? Because that's what you're use to. For years and years you've had bad eating habits and unless you change them permanently you'll keep going up and down the scale. Trust me I know. So what's the solution? Calorie reduction. You know that your body burns a certain amount of calories per day just to keep you alive. Eat more than what the body needs and it gets stored as fat. Eat less and the body converts fat to calories and you lose weight. Now I'm not telling you that you need to starve yourself and eat celery sticks all day but you do need to figure out how many calories your body needs per day and start eating around 500 - 800 calories less than that number. Example: your body needs 3000 calories per day so only eat 2500 per day and your body will burn 500 calories of fat. Now you're losing weight safely! The best part is that you can eat whatever you want but let's be real. If you eat a bunch of ice cream, chips, and other snacks you're going to reach your 2500 calories by just eating a small portion and you'll be hungry most of the day. You have to be wise and pick food that will help you not only stay under your calorie target but will also fill you up. When I started losing weight I cut off coca-cola completely as it was empty calories that didn't satisfy me but I still eat ice cream, buttered rolls, and cookies. I just eat much less than what I use to. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and read the Losing Fat section in the forums. There are serious bodybuilders who post there as well as regular Joe's like you and I who just want to drop the weight. Ride your bike as much as possible to increase the number of calories you burn per day but don't use that as an excuse to eat more crap. Once you drop down to your desired weight you will have trained yourself how to eat what you want and like and maintain the weight you want. Fad diets force you to eat in a way that is not sustainable your entire life.

Here's a good Calorie Calculator that will tell you how many calories your body needs to survive per day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

No calorie calculator is 100% correct but this one is pretty accurate. Don't think you'll be smart by eating 1000 to 1500 less calories than you need per day to try and drop the weight quickly. You'll just starve yourself and probably give up. Plan on a year to reach your goal. You may get there quicker or it may take longer. Just don't plan on reaching it in a couple of months. You can but it's very unhealthy. Weigh youself every Monday morning and keep track of it on a spreadsheet. Don't get upset if you gain weight every once in awhile. If you bike alot you will build muscles and muscle weighs more than fat. Use your eyes and clothes as a weight loss gauge. Expect to lose a lot of water weight within the first few weeks.

I've been doing this for the past 5 months and have dropped 40 pounds plus added some muscle while biking. I don't crave my usual junk food because I still eat it when I want but in much smaller portions. Sometimes I screw up and eat more than I should but then I quickly get back on track and don't punish myself for it. PM me if you'd like.

Ride Responsibly
    First get the fork checked at a bike shop to make sure it is not an easy fix, like adding oil. If needed, go with a ridged fork for now, when the time comes to upgrade, treat yourself to a new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree with Soccerdude with the following caveat: Don't just eat less of what you want. Balance your diet. Don't deny yourself the food you love, but limit how much of it you eat. If you like ice cream, don't give it up, but don't eat a pint at a time... 1/2 cup, once per week/month, and savor every single bite, then put it down. Increase you protein intake, reduce carbs and eat more complex carb. Check out the glycemic index for foods that don't spike your blood sugar.

With the added exercise, a calorie reduction of 300 to 500 calories per day will yield good results, and with a balanced diet that doesn't completely eliminate the foods you love, it will be sustainable. Now get after it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    When it comes to bike gear you can spend a lot of money. The RockShox Tora Solo Air has been used by many on this forum and proved clyde-worthy. Not sure what the maximum user weight has been, but if you search tora on this forum you'll see a lot of posts about it. Here's one on ebay at a good price.

The link below is to a good deal on a Tora, but it is set to 130mm travel and you probably need 100mm. A good shop could set it to 100mm, or if you are mechanically inclined you might do it yourself.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow, thanks all for your replies, I only got one notification to email and I had no idea this thread was getting this much attention. I will read through the replies more carefully in the morning.

I did get on the bike today after getting the tires properly inflated and setting the preload all the way down, it seems to have helped some. I can at least ride the bike without it locked out. No idea how it will be on the trails yet.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

mtbr member
    If it has a lock out and it works I'd just save the money and go with that fork for now. And stop the soda intake immediately. You can probably get back down closer to 300 just from switching to all water.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86
    Any ideas for Android phones?
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [QUOTE=soccerdude]are you planning on eating the South Beach diet for the rest of you life?[QUOTE]

absolutely!

good luck with your calorie counter.
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    +1 on Weight Watchers. I started the WW plan on June 27, 2010 and as of yesterday I have lost just over 163lbs. Portion control is what WW teaches you and once you have that down you are set for life. Good luck with whatever plan/diet you take and have fun riding.
    2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er (For Sale)
    2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Lose It is now web based

Quote Originally Posted by torQ!
    Any ideas for Android phones?
    Don't think Loseit is available in the Android Market, but you can now enter your food and exercise intake on their website. For Android you could try MyFitnessPal. Not connected to either app, but can vouch for Loseit and it works!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I went ahead and installed MyFitnessPal, been using it for two days now. Went over my calories by 500 yesterday, but I didn't add anything until after it was too late.

I did a home version of weight watchers and lost 60 lbs three years ago, it does work but I'm hoping to do something a little less intrusive in my life. I would like to make simple changes to my lifestyle when it comes to my decision making on quantity size and quality of food I ingest. Then the physical activity needs to go up instead of my sedentary winter lifestyle. Biking is something that I love to do, and the purchase of the new bike will help since it is the right size and better quality than my last ride. I rediscovered mountain biking last fall after taking a break for 4 years.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Get after it, and while you are at it, post up some periodic updates on how you are doing. There are lots of very supportive folks here, and I personally love to hear inspirational fat boy to skinny boy stories. Additionally, if you post up here regularly, it may add a measure of accountability to your quest. Years ago when I quit smoking, one of the things that helped was announcing to everyone I cared about that I was quitting... and not wanting to let those people down was one of the things that helped me power through the withdrawl symptoms. The same rationale can be used for weight loss.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast