Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92

    Embarassed and frustrated

    I signed up here a few months ago, but I wanted to give my formal Clyde introduction.

    I finally stepped on a scale today and what I saw shocked the hell out of me. I am now at my highest weight of my life, by a good 25 lbs. I've been on a rollercoaster since early highschool, but I keep creeping back up to 310. Today I saw 334 and I'm just devastated. I knew I was getting heavier, and I knew I was probably the heaviest I have ever been, but not by that much. Keep in mind I am 5'7".

    Last night I just bought a used mountain bike, I had been into biking in college and really enjoyed it, and at that time I had lost 60 lbs riding and dieting.

    I am motivated to get moving here, I have a plan to commute to work 10 miles each way, I just need to get over a few hurdles to get things moving. The Dart2 shock was fully compressed any time I sat on the bike, this is embarassing for me as the cheaper Raleigh with suntour? shock always held my weight. Will the heaviest spring kit from Rock Shox be enough or do I need to have a professional build me a suspension fork? Would I be better off trail riding with a rigid fork at this size?

    I also need to give my diet some focus as my work life and home life have been very sedentary, especially over the winter months. I am trying to stop drinking soda altogether and I need to cut out the regular chicken wings for lunch every week. I have started bringing baby carrots and celery with individual packs of peanut butter for work snacks. I guess I know what I need to do for my diet, its just the motivation and the ease of fast food that have been holding me up.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  2. #2
    R.I.P. DogFriend
    Reputation: jeffj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,511
    I would search for a reasonably priced air spring fork. Something like this will work for you:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/RockShox-Recon-S...item1c19447754

    You will likely overwhelm a coil spring fork even with a firmer spring, but once you get a ways under 300lbs, a coil spring fork might work OK.

    It's hard work, but can be done. Good luck.

  3. #3
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,205
    Keep it simple, go with a rigid fork, its cheaper too. FWIW, I'd lose the P.B., its loaded with fat and sugar. Anything you can do to eliminate sugar intake.

    Good luck.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dieselfuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    59
    i had that same shock when i saw the scale read 305lbs a few years ago. my wife and i did weight watchers ( i was skeptical at first but it flat out works) and i lost 30lbs in about 40days. that was almost 2yrs ago and ive only gained back 10lbs of it. but i'm in the same boat as you, i need to get back into riding, it'll help me a lot in the long run. now if only that damn tax return would show up so i can buy a bike.

    good luck!
    Diamondback Assault dirt jumper, hayes, shimano, saint, etc...
    Trailhound Smokers, competition BBQ team.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mnardo72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    58
    OP, I am at the beginning of a long journey myself. I am spending a lot of $ with a personal trainer and seeing great results. I have lost significant weight before, but always put it back plus some. This time is different for me. Different place in life, so I've made the tough changes and have been working my ass off. I'd be happy to tell you what I've done and am doing if you're interested. Good luck!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PoisonDartFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    656
    Go lo carb... Eliminate starch and sugar. Beware of low fat diets. Pasta is low fat but will put weight on you like crazy. Don't take my word for it, research it yourself.

    Diet and exercise together is the only way for sustained weight loss. There are no short cuts. You gotta change your whole lifestyle. Don't focus on a target weight, focus on being healthier, fitter, and more active. Remember, this is for life, not just to get you to a target weight. Find activities you like to do, rather than just for exercise.

    Baby steps. Start off slow and easy on the bike. If you overdo it now, before your muscles and joints are used it, you will injure yourself, and that will just delay your exercise and weight loss regime.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 03-12-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    Mind your own religion.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    My wife brought home a book called The Belly Fat Diet from Costco about a year ago. The abridged version is keeping your sugar intake under 15 grams a day (crazy how much stuff has sugar once you start looking!) and complex carbs only to 120 grams or less. I went from 320 pounds to my current 235. I also counted my calories pretty close for the first 7 - 8 months. Now I have a good understanding of what I'm eating verses burning so I've stopped counting. I ride 4 to 5 days a week now and am loving it. Going to push for another 15 to 20 pounds and see how I feel. Have to find a weight that feels right and ist crazy hard to maintain.

    Just find something that works for you and stick with it! The pounds will start coming off I promise!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Get these apps

    Been where you are and then some. Try the app called loseit to track every item you eat and to track your exercise. Also try couch to 5k on your non-biking days.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,364
    Get the "South Beach Diet" book and follow the plan...it really works. I'm at -26 lb in 5weeks. Nice thing is I'm never hungry and don't have to count anything. Just eat what's on the "good" list and good things happen.
    whatever...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eville140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    Unless your commute is through trails I'm also with getting a rigid fork. Bike will pedal easier on the road, a thicker tire can add enough cushion and you'll dump a couple pounds off the front of the bike.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    Loseit on my iPhone is exactly how I tracked my calories. It rocks!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eville140's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86
    Loseit on my iPhone is exactly how I tracked my calories. It rocks!
    Dailyburn user here, it all comes down to calories in and calories out. You can loose weight eating just snickers bars if you keep it in a calorie deficit....best to keepmit high protein/ low carb though to help preserve as much muscle as possible.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BrianMc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,140
    Understand the scale shock. Kudos for taking this bull by the horns.

  14. #14
    Fat Biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    426
    Not to be rude to the previous posters but don't go on one of the fad diets like South Beach, Adkins, etc. Yes, they do work but they are only temporary solutions and you will eventually gain most, if not all, of your weight back. Think about it this way, are you planning on eating the South Beach diet for the rest of you life? I doubt it. More than likely you'll stick to the diet and lose the weight you want only to quit the diet and go back to your previous eating habits. Why? Because that's what you're use to. For years and years you've had bad eating habits and unless you change them permanently you'll keep going up and down the scale. Trust me I know. So what's the solution? Calorie reduction. You know that your body burns a certain amount of calories per day just to keep you alive. Eat more than what the body needs and it gets stored as fat. Eat less and the body converts fat to calories and you lose weight. Now I'm not telling you that you need to starve yourself and eat celery sticks all day but you do need to figure out how many calories your body needs per day and start eating around 500 - 800 calories less than that number. Example: your body needs 3000 calories per day so only eat 2500 per day and your body will burn 500 calories of fat. Now you're losing weight safely! The best part is that you can eat whatever you want but let's be real. If you eat a bunch of ice cream, chips, and other snacks you're going to reach your 2500 calories by just eating a small portion and you'll be hungry most of the day. You have to be wise and pick food that will help you not only stay under your calorie target but will also fill you up. When I started losing weight I cut off coca-cola completely as it was empty calories that didn't satisfy me but I still eat ice cream, buttered rolls, and cookies. I just eat much less than what I use to. Go to www.bodybuilding.com and read the Losing Fat section in the forums. There are serious bodybuilders who post there as well as regular Joe's like you and I who just want to drop the weight. Ride your bike as much as possible to increase the number of calories you burn per day but don't use that as an excuse to eat more crap. Once you drop down to your desired weight you will have trained yourself how to eat what you want and like and maintain the weight you want. Fad diets force you to eat in a way that is not sustainable your entire life.

    Here's a good Calorie Calculator that will tell you how many calories your body needs to survive per day. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cal...ulator/NU00598

    No calorie calculator is 100% correct but this one is pretty accurate. Don't think you'll be smart by eating 1000 to 1500 less calories than you need per day to try and drop the weight quickly. You'll just starve yourself and probably give up. Plan on a year to reach your goal. You may get there quicker or it may take longer. Just don't plan on reaching it in a couple of months. You can but it's very unhealthy. Weigh youself every Monday morning and keep track of it on a spreadsheet. Don't get upset if you gain weight every once in awhile. If you bike alot you will build muscles and muscle weighs more than fat. Use your eyes and clothes as a weight loss gauge. Expect to lose a lot of water weight within the first few weeks.

    I've been doing this for the past 5 months and have dropped 40 pounds plus added some muscle while biking. I don't crave my usual junk food because I still eat it when I want but in much smaller portions. Sometimes I screw up and eat more than I should but then I quickly get back on track and don't punish myself for it. PM me if you'd like.

  15. #15
    Ride Responsibly
    Reputation: LWright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,946
    First get the fork checked at a bike shop to make sure it is not an easy fix, like adding oil. If needed, go with a ridged fork for now, when the time comes to upgrade, treat yourself to a new bike.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    147
    I agree with Soccerdude with the following caveat: Don't just eat less of what you want. Balance your diet. Don't deny yourself the food you love, but limit how much of it you eat. If you like ice cream, don't give it up, but don't eat a pint at a time... 1/2 cup, once per week/month, and savor every single bite, then put it down. Increase you protein intake, reduce carbs and eat more complex carb. Check out the glycemic index for foods that don't spike your blood sugar.

    With the added exercise, a calorie reduction of 300 to 500 calories per day will yield good results, and with a balanced diet that doesn't completely eliminate the foods you love, it will be sustainable. Now get after it.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    626
    When it comes to bike gear you can spend a lot of money. The RockShox Tora Solo Air has been used by many on this forum and proved clyde-worthy. Not sure what the maximum user weight has been, but if you search tora on this forum you'll see a lot of posts about it. Here's one on ebay at a good price.

    The link below is to a good deal on a Tora, but it is set to 130mm travel and you probably need 100mm. A good shop could set it to 100mm, or if you are mechanically inclined you might do it yourself.

    http://www.blueskycycling.com/view_p...eProductSearch

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Wow, thanks all for your replies, I only got one notification to email and I had no idea this thread was getting this much attention. I will read through the replies more carefully in the morning.

    I did get on the bike today after getting the tires properly inflated and setting the preload all the way down, it seems to have helped some. I can at least ride the bike without it locked out. No idea how it will be on the trails yet.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: picassomoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    703
    If it has a lock out and it works I'd just save the money and go with that fork for now. And stop the soda intake immediately. You can probably get back down closer to 300 just from switching to all water.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Breezin86
    Loseit on my iPhone is exactly how I tracked my calories. It rocks!
    Any ideas for Android phones?
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,364
    [QUOTE=soccerdude]are you planning on eating the South Beach diet for the rest of you life?[QUOTE]

    absolutely!

    good luck with your calorie counter.
    whatever...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    84
    +1 on Weight Watchers. I started the WW plan on June 27, 2010 and as of yesterday I have lost just over 163lbs. Portion control is what WW teaches you and once you have that down you are set for life. Good luck with whatever plan/diet you take and have fun riding.
    2012 Specialized Epic Comp 29er (For Sale)
    2013 Specialized SJ Comp Carbon

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Lose It is now web based

    Quote Originally Posted by torQ!
    Any ideas for Android phones?
    Don't think Loseit is available in the Android Market, but you can now enter your food and exercise intake on their website. For Android you could try MyFitnessPal. Not connected to either app, but can vouch for Loseit and it works!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    I went ahead and installed MyFitnessPal, been using it for two days now. Went over my calories by 500 yesterday, but I didn't add anything until after it was too late.

    I did a home version of weight watchers and lost 60 lbs three years ago, it does work but I'm hoping to do something a little less intrusive in my life. I would like to make simple changes to my lifestyle when it comes to my decision making on quantity size and quality of food I ingest. Then the physical activity needs to go up instead of my sedentary winter lifestyle. Biking is something that I love to do, and the purchase of the new bike will help since it is the right size and better quality than my last ride. I rediscovered mountain biking last fall after taking a break for 4 years.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    147
    Get after it, and while you are at it, post up some periodic updates on how you are doing. There are lots of very supportive folks here, and I personally love to hear inspirational fat boy to skinny boy stories. Additionally, if you post up here regularly, it may add a measure of accountability to your quest. Years ago when I quit smoking, one of the things that helped was announcing to everyone I cared about that I was quitting... and not wanting to let those people down was one of the things that helped me power through the withdrawl symptoms. The same rationale can be used for weight loss.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog
    Go lo carb... Eliminate starch and sugar. Beware of low fat diets. Pasta is low fat but will put weight on you like crazy. Don't take my word for it, research it yourself.

    Diet and exercise together is the only way for sustained weight loss. There are no short cuts. You gotta change your whole lifestyle. Don't focus on a target weight, focus on being healthier, fitter, and more active. Remember, this is for life, not just to get you to a target weight. Find activities you like to do, rather than just for exercise.

    Baby steps. Start off slow and easy on the bike. If you overdo it now, before your muscles and joints are used it, you will injure yourself, and that will just delay your exercise and weight loss regime.
    +1!!!!!!!!!

    Complex carbs (most raw veggies and fruit) are ok though. Simple carbs suck (refined flour, bread, pasta, rice...)


    Quote Originally Posted by Garthhog
    Get after it, and while you are at it, post up some periodic updates on how you are doing. There are lots of very supportive folks here, and I personally love to hear inspirational fat boy to skinny boy stories. Additionally, if you post up here regularly, it may add a measure of accountability to your quest. Years ago when I quit smoking, one of the things that helped was announcing to everyone I cared about that I was quitting... and not wanting to let those people down was one of the things that helped me power through the withdrawl symptoms. The same rationale can be used for weight loss.

    +1!!!!!!!






    I used both of these last year and through altered (permanently) diet and exercise I dropped ~100lbs.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    47
    Soccerdude is right... diets won't work. You have to make a lifestyle change. But you can use the fad diets as a starting point. I tried out South Beach and did ok on it but I LOVE my carbs (pasta, bread, etc.) so it wasn't something that I could do for a lifetime. But with the Belly Fat diet I got to keep my carbs (switched to whole wheat pasta, sprouted wheat bread, and the like) and just dumped most of the sugars (15 grams or less a day). I've never had a sweet tooth so dumping the sugar was easy for me. So I've really just changed the way I eat and have done it in a way that for me does not feel like a diet. That's what you really need to do.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Well I get to weigh in tomorrow and I'm actually excited and hoping to see some pounds come off. I've been following the calorie guidelines on MyFitnessPal and I did two very short rides this week, just trying to break in the legs and seat.

    5 mile ride yesterday and a slow 1 miler tonight, all street riding. Tonight was really just to get the muscles loose again and to make for consistency. It hurt to sit on the saddle and the quads were burning the whole time.

    I'm feeling very heavy compared to even last fall, the muscles are sleepy and don't want to come alive. I miss being ~60 lbs lighter, everything is just easier, but I know there is only one way to get there. I think the bike will appreciate me being lighter as well.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    11
    Hi. If you commute to work 10 miles each way five days a week, you can eat just about anything you want...and you'll lose a lot of weight and increase your health...fast. Good luck.

    A rigid fork will be more efficient on pavement. Is your commute on pavement or trails?

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    The ride to work is all side streets, sadly the trails aren't in this part of town. I'm considering a rigid steel fork for the time being. The stock Dart 2 is holding me pretty well, but it also doesn't compress smoothly either with full preload.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  31. #31
    Class Clown
    Reputation: dundundata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,766
    Take a look at the diets of people with diabetes, that should teach you what is ok and what is not (mainly sugar and carbs).

    I think a rigid fork is probably better than a cheap suspension fork. Should be lighter and stronger.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Does anyone know where to get a good 26" chomoly fork with disk tabs? I have searched the parts stores online that I know of and I've been searching on here, but that is a little hard with such common terms.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    588
    I agree with the person who said keep it simple with the rigid fork.

    As for dieting. If you are like me at all celery and carrots are not going to satisfy your hunger. I think the guy in the following link has some good info. Hope it helps and good luck!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wrrw...mbedded#at=290

  34. #34
    WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Reputation: fattybikejones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    643
    @ thread op..

    I am in almost exactly the same situation as you.. We can do this!

    Bound and determined!
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

  35. #35
    ilmfat
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    862
    try universal cycles for a rigid fork. they have a wide variety.

    good luck and keep at it.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rodgerdodger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by torQ!
    Any ideas for Android phones?
    there is an app called calorie counter that links of with the fatsecret webiste. Tracks weight, exercise, food everything. It is very helpful

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Well, its been a few weeks. I'm having mostly good days, with a few bad days thrown in. I have successfully avoided french fries and soda for the last few weeks. I am still bringing my healthier snacks to work and its keeping me out of the goodies that they provide.

    I was down about 5 lbs as of last friday, and the scale has been good to me for the most part, always seeing a downward trend. I have been on the bike for 3 rides so far, totally 13 miles. The weather has been pretty cold for the last 8 days, so I haven't been for a ride in a bit.

    Hoping to jump back on the bike once this week before I head out of town for a 5 day vacation.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    17
    I think there might be something wrong with your Dart2. I have a Dart1, and am quite heavier than you, and it works flawlessly on trails. I don't recall it ever getting fully compressed. Maybe on drops, but on the smoother trails/roads, no problem whatsoever.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by torQ!
    Well, its been a few weeks. I'm having mostly good days, with a few bad days thrown in. I have successfully avoided french fries and soda for the last few weeks. I am still bringing my healthier snacks to work and its keeping me out of the goodies that they provide.

    I was down about 5 lbs as of last friday, and the scale has been good to me for the most part, always seeing a downward trend. I have been on the bike for 3 rides so far, totally 13 miles. The weather has been pretty cold for the last 8 days, so I haven't been for a ride in a bit.

    Hoping to jump back on the bike once this week before I head out of town for a 5 day vacation.

    Good for you! Keep it up!

    Diet and exercise are very powerful for bike riding! Cardio gets built and the weight you're hauling drops. Those both help make rides WAY more fun! Climbing becomes a manageable workload instead of a death march!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrEjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18
    Lose the PB unless you can afford 90 cal/ tbs(tablespoon) If you can calorie count figure your couch potato BMR(Basil metabolic rate) and drop it by 300 cal per day . a pound of fat is 3500 cal. so at that rate you will lose a pound every 12 days! Keep your goals within reach and if you fail one day just make up the next day. BMR= todays wt X 7 to lose a pound a week in calories

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    26
    I am 365lbs. I had my local shop find a cost effective solution for me. We came up with Marzocchi 44tst2 air shock. Marzocchi built it up with different internals for my weight. I run 110lbs and can jump it 4ft to flat and it is perfect. 120mm travel and lighter than stock too. They actually built 2 custom forks for me and my brother but my brother wound up buying a 650b bike so the 26er fork will not work. Carolina Fatz in Asheville, NC (828) 665-7744 has the second one in stock. I now have a 29er too so have considered selling mine if I decide to sell my 26er.

  42. #42
    Oh Yeah Baby
    Reputation: Shocker99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    157
    Hey torQ!, how's it been going for you? I see you have set a 5lb goal for yourself next week. What are going to do different to make it happen?

    What kind of food are you eating? I see you mention avoiding fries and soda, and eating healthier snacks at work. Can you be more specific? And are you taking a multi-vitamin?

    I have had a little bit of success lately, down 35lbs, and find myself hardly ever hungry at all. I have totally removed white breads and as much sugar as possible from my diet. I am an extremely picky eater and have the hardest time getting enough vegetables. I can still have the occassional soda ever once & awhile (Coke Zero ONLY) but the soda cravings are finally GONE.

    Are you planning and/or cooking your meals ahead of time?

    Good luck this week. You CAN DO it
    Misfit Psycles diSSent
    Trek CrossRip Comp

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrEjeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18

    ... and if we just ... Wt loss

    I haven't been on for a while because of a hectic work schedule. I am using the lose-it app on the iPhone and it is working good for me. I have lost 15# in about 4 weeks and the last three weeks I haven't been able to ride at all. I rode today for 5 mi with my 14y/o son and he even said at the end of the ride we shouldn't have laid off for so long. At easter dinner I didn't pile my plate and felt great after dinner. I tried to make all of the food but 3/4 to 1 cup only and the glass of water before eating. best of luck to all....down into sz 42 pants..I dont know if I have any 40's in my closet

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Shocker99
    Hey torQ!, how's it been going for you? I see you have set a 5lb goal for yourself next week. What are going to do different to make it happen?

    What kind of food are you eating? I see you mention avoiding fries and soda, and eating healthier snacks at work. Can you be more specific? And are you taking a multi-vitamin?

    I have had a little bit of success lately, down 35lbs, and find myself hardly ever hungry at all. I have totally removed white breads and as much sugar as possible from my diet. I am an extremely picky eater and have the hardest time getting enough vegetables. I can still have the occassional soda ever once & awhile (Coke Zero ONLY) but the soda cravings are finally GONE.

    Are you planning and/or cooking your meals ahead of time?

    Good luck this week. You CAN DO it
    I think I've been doing real good, I've only lost about 9 lbs so far but I have been on my bikes very regularly and doing hikes for the last three Saturdays. I actually gained weight this last week, but I'll chalk that up to lots of muscle building and a little too much snacking.

    I have been good about avoiding soda and fast food for the most part. I'm not really picking foods except for watching the caloric intake, tracking my meals and snacks on My Fitness Pal and trying to avoid going over on my daily calories. That naturally forces me to make better decisions because the higher fat foods are also more calorie dense.

    I'm thinking I also need to step up my food planning a little. I have found myself in some trouble with too few calories when it comes time for dinner. I need to bring my own lunches more often instead of trying to find better menu items and eating out every day. Work is very generous in this regard but that has been my downfall over the last 4 years.

    I am not taking a multivitamin.

    I did challenge myself to 30 rides in 30 days. That goal is still on going, but I have substituted 3 hikes instead of rides, and I also gave myself two off days this weekend to let my legs recovery. Tomorrow I am starting 5 miles per day, I'm thinking it will have me doing 40-45 min of exercise per day. I am also looking forward to some longer weekend rides. I'm hoping a little more riding will show better results on the scale this week. The 30 min rides I was doing before have been getting too easy and I just feel like I'm getting warmed up by the time I get home.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEjeep
    I haven't been on for a while because of a hectic work schedule. I am using the lose-it app on the iPhone and it is working good for me. I have lost 15# in about 4 weeks and the last three weeks I haven't been able to ride at all. I rode today for 5 mi with my 14y/o son and he even said at the end of the ride we shouldn't have laid off for so long. At easter dinner I didn't pile my plate and felt great after dinner. I tried to make all of the food but 3/4 to 1 cup only and the glass of water before eating. best of luck to all....down into sz 42 pants..I dont know if I have any 40's in my closet

    Congrats on the weight loss and getting back on the bike! I am to the point where I am itching for my daily rides, they feel wonderful. I'm hoping the soreness in my legs begins to subside soon though.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

  46. #46
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    529
    Keep it up torque, you definitely sound motivated. I'm a big lean Clyde(6'3"/215), so a low carb diet is a no-no for me. But I did go with the "If it was not around 100yrs ago, don't eat it" philosophy. My endurance skyrocketed, my love handles are rapidly disappearing and I may(for the first time in my life) see an ab or two. Fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and meats, and NO DEEP FRIED OR FAST FOOD. It's a lifestyle change, not a "diet". I once read on here,"Try to only look at food as a fuel to burn, not an indulgent treat or reward". Ride, ride, ride....
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    550
    Quote Originally Posted by torQ!
    I think I've been doing real good, I've only lost about 9 lbs so far but I have been on my bikes very regularly and doing hikes for the last three Saturdays. I actually gained weight this last week, but I'll chalk that up to lots of muscle building and a little too much snacking.

    I have been good about avoiding soda and fast food for the most part. I'm not really picking foods except for watching the caloric intake, tracking my meals and snacks on My Fitness Pal and trying to avoid going over on my daily calories. That naturally forces me to make better decisions because the higher fat foods are also more calorie dense.

    I'm thinking I also need to step up my food planning a little. I have found myself in some trouble with too few calories when it comes time for dinner. I need to bring my own lunches more often instead of trying to find better menu items and eating out every day. Work is very generous in this regard but that has been my downfall over the last 4 years.

    I am not taking a multivitamin.

    I did challenge myself to 30 rides in 30 days. That goal is still on going, but I have substituted 3 hikes instead of rides, and I also gave myself two off days this weekend to let my legs recovery. Tomorrow I am starting 5 miles per day, I'm thinking it will have me doing 40-45 min of exercise per day. I am also looking forward to some longer weekend rides. I'm hoping a little more riding will show better results on the scale this week. The 30 min rides I was doing before have been getting too easy and I just feel like I'm getting warmed up by the time I get home.
    You're doing fine! Keep it up!

    Good job avoiding fast food! It's AWFUL FOR YOU!!! It's full of sugar, transfat and empty nonnutitional calories. Eventually you'll get to not eating it instead of avoiding it!

    If your 30min rides are getting short that's a good sign! Lengthen them a little bit.

    Regarding leg soreness... Be sure your cadence is high enough (and your seat is high enough). Many new riders ride with a very low cadence which doesn't do a good job at pumping out the lactic acid. Ideally you want your cadence over 80 rpms (Lance cycles and 120! even climbing mountains! )... Just because your leg force is down doesn't mean your not getting a workout. You're just dividing it up into smaller steps. Be certain to push a bit though. You want to elevate your heart rate...

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    92
    I do try to stay in lower gears to keep the cadence high. About 6 years ago I first found biking and dropped 60 lbs (at that time down to about 250), and I was able to do 30-40 mile rides and keep up with faster riders. I'm pretty familiar with how I should be riding lol.

    I am actually finding myself trending towards road riding more again, its easier to do sustained rides where I'm burning more calories over time. I figure dropping the weight will make longer/faster mtb rides easier. A few mtb rides last fall are what brought me back to the bike and I just can't wait to be smaller so I can tear up some trail.

    I am refreshing my old 1977 Bianchi again with a shorter/higher stem, new pedals, and I think I'm going to have to invest in a computer that does cadence as well.

    I can't wait for tonight, I have my new 5 mile route planned out, if this week goes as planned I should get 50 miles in over the next 6 days.
    2009 Gary Fisher Marlin
    1979 Bianchi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •