Thread: elbow pain

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

elbow pain

I'm not sure that this is the correct forum, but since I'm a big boy, I thought I'd post it here.

A few years back my wife and I decided to buy some bikes and see if we cant get me back into shape. Well, I changed jobs and my wife had a kid, so the bikes got put in the garage with very little use on them. We dusted them off last night and went for a ride. Everything went well except for a pain in my elbows (not to mention my butt!) We just rode a few miles on the road, so nothing too serious as of yet. My question is why my elbow hurt so much. I think it might have everything to do with my riding position. Being 6'-6" tall, I need my seat put up fairly high, but the handlebars are still quite low even though I have them up at high as they will go. I noticed myself riding with my elbows locked straight to support my upper body. I have a XXL Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. From what I've read, it has a 10 degree stem on it. Would I be better served with a 15 degree or higher? Lower the seat a bit? Any help would be great. I really had a good time with the family and dont want to let this pain hold me back

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    I'm had TONS of Elbow/Bicep/Shoulder issues in my life...
    Where are you feeling the elbow pain? In the inner part (the "armpit" of the elbow)? On the outside under the bump? Outside above (funny bone)?

There could be a ton of things going on, but more likely than not it's something to do with the Ulner Nerve. You could injure it in your hand and have the pain manifest in the shoulder (or elbow). It could even be an injury from something not bike related, but the ride/position sets it off... ICE it, like dunk your hand, forearm and elbow in some ice water and sit for a while.

Things to consider on your bike...
    Grips that don't support your large hands enough.
    Too Stretched out (too long of a cockpit).
    Bars too low

Without pix it would be hard to tell exactly what the issue is, I'd go to a shop and just have them check your fitting...
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the reply. Its more of a dull ache throughout the entire elbow. Its not a sharp injury type pain, just enough to make it annoying. I really think you hit it on the head about too long of a cockpit. I feel like I am leaning foward too much thus supporting my upper body with my arms and not my torso. I'm still very new to biking so I dont know what to look for as far as parts go. Can someone suggest a stem or something to lift the handlebars up a bit? I dont want to sink alot of money in this bike until I'm hooked on riding.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Go to the shop and see what swap/take off stems they have. I'd start with a 10 degree-20 degree rise stem in the same length as what you have, no need to break the bank.
    Also look for a riser bar with more rise and/or sweep.
    While you're looking... check out OURY, Ergon, or Specialized Body Geometry grips for your big hands... trust me.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

What could go wrong ...
    +1 on the riser bars and a taller shorter stem ... and even then try not to lock out your arms ... keep your elbows bent
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    Ergon GP1s fixed a lot of problems for my hands... particularly wrists.. its like a wing instead of a circular grip, but feels so natural because your thumb still goes under in a cirucular part but your palm is on a wing, keeping your wrist from bending..

highly recommended, I'm 6'2" and formerly #315 lb when i started using them after major wrist pain and finger numbness..

Let me also tell you what else helped me... getting a longer bar.. I got a BBB FreeBar.. which is 690 mm, as oppose to standard 640mm bars.. its wider and feels a lot better.. and it has a nice rise.. not extreme, and not too little, but just enough..

I got a longer stem, 120mm, and I'm thinking of going back for a shorter one, 100mm, after I just had elbow pain manifest, very much like yours, like a dull sprain or strain.
    Be excellent to each other.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thank you all for the input! I have some OURY grips already and they are super comfy, but those Ergon ones look promising too. I also like the idea of the wider bars too. I am very wide across the shoulders and chest and the wider bars might make it easier to keep my elbows bent. Thanks again for all your help, this place rocks!