Thread: Elbow pads

mtbr member

Elbow pads

Any Clydes running elbow pads? It seems the major players (with one exception (661), at about $110), only go up to size large. Anyone have XLs? I'm not totin' 24 inch pythons like the Hulk, but larges are a laugh. I saw a post 6 or so months back suggesting knee pads might work for elbows. That's worth a look, but I can't help but think I shouldn't have to get this creative.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    why do you want elbow pads?

mtbr member
    ...to protect my elbows when I crash.

mtbr member
    I'm on Race Face FR XL: RaceFace Rally DH Arm Guards 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com but 2009 I think. Straps are little short...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good luck this has proven to be a problem, so much so that I had often just left my pads off. It ended up resulting in a trip to the ER to get stitched up. You might have to buy the pads and then have someone sew extra length on the straps.

Ryan.

@adelorenzo
    +1 for kneepads on the elbows. I run Kyle Straits, they are more comfortable and feel like they offer a lot more solid protection than any elbow pads I've ever owned or tried.

I just use the youth size, but you can go as big as you need. Kyle Straits are the best kneepads too, IMHO.

Ow!
    Not certain how big your arms are, but mine are fairly big (6'3", 260lbs, lift heavy weights). I have used some xl Race Face hard shells that fit well. I just purchased some 661 Evo elbows (XL), which I wore riding this morning. They fit well, and didn't move around much. Just got in some POC VPD elbows (L). Only tried them on, and they were tight (which is what I expected).

I find all knee (whear Kyle Straits every time I ride) and elbow pads to stretch after a while. I am hoping this happens to the POCs.

I also find that the manufacturers description of sizes (around arms and legs) are pretty accurate to determine their correct fit.

Hucknroll is having a sale on Straits and Evo stuff.

mtbr member
    Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I should have clarified that I wasn't looking for hard shell pads. I wish I rode hard enough to need them, but sadly, that's not the case. Clydecrash, thanks for the lead on huchnroll. Those 661evos were the $100+ pads I moaned about in my original post. 50% off is hard to ignore, but, it seems the world is opening up to us larger armed folks, as 661 has multiple 2012 elbow pads in XL. And that seems to be the real XL, not L/XL. the dilemma now is pull the trigger on the evos or run with the 2012 models. End goal is to stay upright and render this whole fracas moot, but I have to plan for otherwise. Btw, I'm rockin' the Kyle strait knee pads (L/XL versions misrepresented as XLs), and, so far so good.