MaverickMotoMedia.com

Dropper Seat Posts: Strong Enough for Clydes?

the downhill sections freak me the @ out do to my high center of gravity- I'm 6'8 & 263 #s. Are dropper posts strudy enough to handle clydesdale weight and abuse? Anyone here using them? What brands are best?

mtbr member
    I'm about 240, and have had pretty good luck with a Reverb. The bike I had it on, the seat tube failed, but the post was fine.

Had a Joplin before that, which... was a crank bros product, that is to say had a bunch of problems. But none were structural.

I have nothing negative to say about my reverb, but with Thomson entering the game next spring, I'm waiting for that before I get another.

mtbr member
    Riding a 2011 Specialized Command Post. I'm 6'7" 230ish pounds. Have never felt nor seen evidence of failure with the post itself. I do need to tweak cable management for my post though. As sometimes it will not stay in the lowest of the 3 positions due to how the cable twists. You can actually see how/why it happens and it has to do with how the cable is routed. I need to change that just haven't gotten around to it.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    I did a lot of research and I ended up going with a Gravity Dropper Turbo. What I like about it is that it's 100% U.S. made and it can be completly disassembled and rebuilt and put back together in less than 20 minutes. Plus since its all mechanical there is no bleeding to worry about. I have been using mine for about two years and all I have had to do was pull it apart and put a little bit of grease on it. I have to mention that the customer service at Gravity Dropper is top notch. When I was doing my research I always got replys to my emails in a few hours.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate3510 View Post
    I did a lot of research and I ended up going with a Gravity Dropper Turbo. What I like about it is that it's 100% U.S. made and it can be completly disassembled and rebuilt and put back together in less than 20 minutes. Plus since its all mechanical there is no bleeding to worry about. I have been using mine for about two years and all I have had to do was pull it apart and put a little bit of grease on it. I have to mention that the customer service at Gravity Dropper is top notch. When I was doing my research I always got replys to my emails in a few hours.
    This is what I came with in my research. I wanted something simple and relatively maintenance free. My Turbo should be here Monday or Tuesday from BikeBob.

Check out this thread for more info. There are also a bunch of GD threads on MTBR with clyde info peppered in.
    How are Gravity Droppers holding up under Clydesdales?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=site...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    2011 Dawes Deadeye | 2011 Niner EMD9 | 2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy AL