Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Dropper posts for us "larger" characters

I do realise there is a thread going on thats sort of similar - Is it just me... (dropper seat post) but I am sure I am asking a different question.

I have just got a nice new tall rig on its way and want to join the dropper post revolution, but want a post that can handle 250lb + over at least 2hrs.

Is anyone using one that they absolutely swear by???
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    If you don't need an offset post, Gravity Dropper Turbo LP and done. If GD had an offset post, you would not have seen that other thread.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

turtles make me hot
    I do not yet have a dropper post but I would think Thomson or Lenz.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I do not yet have a dropper post but I would think Thomson or Lenz.

Do you like Gamera?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I weigh 220 and use the Specialized Command Black lite, and I am super happy with it. I have used it close to a year now. So far it has never malfunctioned...

mtbr member
    I'm 270 plus gear and swear by Kindshock products. I've been using them on 2 different bikes for quite a few years trouble free.
    I think I'm not as good as I thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR1822 View Post
    I'm 270 plus gear and swear by Kindshock products. I've been using them on 2 different bikes for quite a few years trouble free.
    You using the LEV.......
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.

mtbr member
    Nah, I have a drop zone and supernatural.
    I is a straight post and the other is setback

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm about 215 loaded. I have a 125mm KS Lev. Not sure where the creaking came from but it drove me nuts. Gave the post to the wifey. I'm ordering a Thomson, I am hoping they have it dialled. J

Super Clyde
    Is the RS Reverb Clyde friendly? I only ask be cause the Stache has routing for a stealth dropper.

mtbr member

Re: Dropper posts for us "larger" characters

230# on a reverb for two seasons now with no issues.
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    230 with a LEV. The clamp that holds the seat rails is shorter than my rigid Thompson. I bent the rails of my WTB (cromoly) recently. Caused a lot of creaking before i noticed where it was coming from. Was it the seatpost's fault? Maybe, maybe not.
    "...there was a time, and that time was so long ago..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As someone who's a really big dude and has a Reverb, I do not recommend it. Mine went out after 4 months of really light riding (I have 2 bikes and don't ride the one that had the Reverb on it much.) And SRAM's become a punk about warrantying them. They didn't want to warranty mine even though it was only 4 months old and mechanic at my LBS told me it's like pulling teeth to get SRAM to warranty them at all lately. I guess if they made a quality product they wouldn't have to worry about such things.

I recommend a Thomson. I have 2 of them. Haven't had them for long, but so far so good.

unrooted
    I'll second the negative comments about the Reverb, I've had mine for 1 month and have nothing but troubles.

From everything I've read it appears that the most durable post is the Gravity dropper stuff, but you are stuck with having to find the positions on the post (I tend to go full drop or full height so it may not be an issue for me). Or the KS.

I love the looks of the Thomson, but I'm scared to shell out that kind of money, but they are known for having great customer service.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I need something good that moves alot of inches. 4 is not enough.

mtbr member
    Kindshock drops 5 or 6 depending on the model

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run my post up 10 inches and I was playing with it and when I put it all the way down I got best results for getting back.

I am wondering if I am going about this wrong because I am a masher with my long legs and it seems like I can make more power stretching rather than trying to make power by peddling in small circles?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    I recommend a Thomson. I have 2 of them. Haven't had them for long, but so far so good.
    Yeah I was having a gander at the Thomson yesterday and despite the $ required, they have been a great company at standing behind their products.

I think it might be a winner

Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    I'll second the negative comments about the Reverb, I've had mine for 1 month and have nothing but troubles.

From everything I've read it appears that the most durable post is the Gravity dropper stuff, but you are stuck with having to find the positions on the post (I tend to go full drop or full height so it may not be an issue for me). Or the KS.

I love the looks of the Thomson, but I'm scared to shell out that kind of money, but they are known for having great customer service.
    Yeah I think I would be a full drop/height kind of guy - either pedalling or completely out of the way!

I was originally looking at the KS Lev as they have a very good support network here downunder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP (boot removed) on my 2013 Stache 7. I'm 6'3 290# have about 60 miles on mine. Came off a log stack last week, landed on the back edge of my WTB puve V saddle and bent the **** out of my seat. GD still works perfect, no proplems at all. GD = Fat guy friendly!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    Gravity Dropper Turbo LP (boot removed) on my 2013 Stache 7. I'm 6'3 290# have about 60 miles on mine. Came off a log stack last week, landed on the back edge of my WTB puve V saddle and bent the **** out of my seat. GD still works perfect, no proplems at all. GD = Fat guy friendly!
    How many inches will it drop?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I run a 375mm- 1in & 4in drop. 1in down is great for aggressive trail riding, then 4in drop for the down hills.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    They have one that does 9 inches but I read the reviews and they were less than stellar. I need 7 to 9 inch drop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
    They have one that does 9 inches but I read the reviews and they were less than stellar. I need 7 to 9 inch drop.
    WOW !!! 7-9in drop. If you don't mind me asking how tall are you? Not sure that I have ever seen a dropper seat post of that size.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by M320 View Post
    WOW !!! 7-9in drop. If you don't mind me asking how tall are you? Not sure that I have ever seen a dropper seat post of that size.
    I am 6'4 to 5 and I ride a 23 inch with the post up about 9 to 10 inches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Oh ok. My seat post is out about 7in but 2.5in of that is the bottom tube of the dropper

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast