mtbr member

dropper post info please

hi all i'm getting a dropper post next week and just wonderd if any real size men have had any issues with the rockshox reverb,or gravity dropper post i,e any flex or wobble or just breaking ..i'm 235lb kitted
    any info would be great
    cheers
    brett
    ''out of the way wide load coming through''

mtbr member
    I had 7-800 miles on a Reverb without issue. The frame it was on broke, but the post is still fine. Gravity dropper seems to be the most reliable post on the market, long-term, from what I hear, but no personal experience.

Joplin is the only other post I have any first hand with, and it's a POS, like everything crank bros makes.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info,i was favouring the GD because of the simplistic system and the rubber boot as we have lots of mud and crap ALL YEAR (maybe a 4 week window of nice hard dusty trails if we are lucky) in the uk which just wrecks your bikes running gear ect.
    ''out of the way wide load coming through''

mtbr member
    I'm 210-215 geared up. Picked up a gravity dropper about two weeks ago (100 or so miles on it). So, not really enough time to evaluate the long term reliability. I can say the quality is pretty top notch though, very sturdy and exact.

Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    I'm somewhere between 220 to 230 with gear and have been running a 2012 Reverb this year (500 + mi). Other than trimming the hyd. line to fit the frame and the required bleed, I've done absolutely nothing to it, other than wiping mud off after rides. The seal does a darn good job keeping muck out in my opinion.

However, I have had a reoccurring issue of the saddle squeaking, which I have attempted to remedy by grease carbon paste etc. I've rode with some other big guys on reverbs, so maybe its just my seat, not bad enough to change from a saddle I like (WTB Team)
    Scooter Riding Girl Scout

mtbr member
    I have a year on a Gravity Dropper Turbo and I have not had one issue with it. It took less than 10 minutes to pull it apart put a bit of grease on it and put it back together. Plus the customer service at Gravity Dropper is top notch and it is all made in the USA.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    There have been quite a few failures of the GD's with heavier riders - I think the consensus from this thread a few months ago is to make sure you don't have the cable pointing forwards and it will be OK.

How are Gravity Droppers holding up under Clydesdales?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    There have been quite a few failures of the GD's with heavier riders - I think the consensus from this thread a few months ago is to make sure you don't have the cable pointing forwards and it will be OK.

How are Gravity Droppers holding up under Clydesdales?
    I had several conversations with the folks at Gravity Dropper and they highly recommend that us robust individuals run the post with the cable pointed to the back. There is a 450lb guy on here that is running a Gravity Dropper Turbo, so they are strong. But like everything else there will be some failures, every type of dropper post has had failures but the months of research that I did before I bought showed that the GD holds up the best under the big boys and it is very easy to service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have used the same 30.9 gravity dropper turbo pretty extensively for the last 2 1/2 years and not had an issue with it, but I am not a clyde. As you say they are dead easy to pull apart and service and parts availability / GD customer service is excellent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    I have used the same 30.9 gravity dropper turbo pretty extensively for the last 2 1/2 years and not had an issue with it, but I am not a clyde. As you say they are dead easy to pull apart and service and parts availability / GD customer service is excellent.
    GD customer service is amazing I cant say enough good things about those guys. I sent them numerous emails and I always had a response within a few hours. Plus they were very patient with me on the phone with all the questions I had.